Fire Gailey..... Now!!!!

jimbobGT

Varsity Lurker
Originally posted by sfalco:
Remember...GT athletes don't get breaks.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You apparently aren't reading the whole thread. We are complaining that Gailey is having discipline issues and not making student go to class. Thats why these kids are ineligible. If they got breaks, they would take a hill sanctioned Principles of Basketball class for the easy A.

I apologize...while such remarks are usually tolerated and laughed at, that was probably not good timing.

sfalco, are you just being facetious?

GT athletes have an extensive net of tutors, special computer labs just for them, and basically a whole system designed to assist them in their academic edeavours. They (at least used to) have designated study hall where they had to show up. They're attendance is ususally taken in the classes (unlike regular students). None of this is illegal. No one has ever said this doesn't exist.

But the SA's have to do their own work, take their own tests, etc. Basically it's designed to give them the best chance of succeeding.

For example, a regular student doesn't have to go to class and no one will be the wiser - they study when they want, they don't have mandatory study halls. The system is also designed to make sure the SA's are going to classes, devoting specific time for studying, etc.

Those of you who know my posts no I am not a die-hard O'leary fan, but his teams had discipline and this would never have occurred on his watch. Yes, the athletes are responsible, but the previous post is correct, there is a whole system designed to help them succeed but proactively keep them going to class, progress monitoring etc. to avoid just such a calamity as this (if it turns to be true). It also speaks volumes about how much these guys are truely motivated to play for him and are anxious for the fall.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Those of you who know my posts no I am not a die-hard O'leary fan, but his teams had discipline and this would never have occurred on his watch. Yes, the athletes are responsible, but the previous post is correct, there is a whole system designed to help them succeed but proactively keep them going to class, progress monitoring etc. to avoid just such a calamity as this (if it turns to be true). It also speaks volumes about how much these guys are truely motivated to play for him and are anxious for the fall.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wasp: You are correct on all of the above. I just got through talking to an ex-player from the early 80's and he was a tutor from '91-92 while he was at Tech working on his Masters. The system you just described has not changed. I just called him on his cell ... he was absolutely shocked at the numbers. He agreed that something is wrong for this many to take a hit like this.

He said Coach Ross was a bear about this when he was tutoring and he knows for a fact O'Leary was the same and maybe as he said, "a little worse in demeaner" about players being responsible and him knowing on a daily basis what is going on.

I hope when all is said and done ... it's not this many, this is hard one to take!!

Some of you know me as a FOC. However the more I see & read the more I believe he should go now! You can't just bring an athlete to school tell him to make grades and forget about him. There needs to be some checks and balances. Make sure they are going to class, hitting the books. Then if they flunk out then so be it. 11 out at one time? I agree that this speaks to a lack of disipline.

i agree dismiss him now, hire jimmy robinson let him struggle thru this season and correct the direction before we enter the 2004 season.

I don't know...

I was as critical as anybody about Chan during the season, and I'm definitely no CG homer, but in this instance, I don't see how this is HIS problem ...

Maybe I'm wrong...But with all that is provided to these SAs for education, at which point does the blame fall on THEM for not making the grades, and NOT on Gailey ? Just curious as to thoughts on this....

I mean, geezzz, I understand the rigors of atheletics and academics at Tech, but shouldn't at least SOME of the responsibility fall to the student athletes ?

One more point....And I'll get significant flack here...But I honestly believe that some of my Tech brethren are delusional in the thinking - that we don't need ANY changes in our curriculum for us to be successful in Football....And I don't mean we need to become UGA, but for heavens sake, at least we could expand the curriculum for a few more degrees, that would have some more appeal to a wider group of SAs.....

If things don't change academically - either via curriculum diversity or relaxing to a degree the standards imposed - we'll going to wind up as another Duke IMO

GEETEELEE, the solution has NOTHING to do with basketweaving etc. but everything to do with a legit curricula expansion. If we can't get over the HILL, to even have a chance at signing the majority of the opposition's players, then a staff with Beamer,Parcells, & Bobby Dodd's Ghost(the real one) wouldn't help. THWG

I'm surprised anyone would want to coach at a school with such a narrow, difficult curriculum - with the emphasis on narrow.

I was under the impression that CG did not even offer in-state a whole lot due to academics. Wow!
confused.gif

I don't care how you slice it, if a player has all the tutors and advantages the SA has at Tech to help in his studies, and he fails, it is his fault and no one else.

It seems obvious to me, the student has decided he does not want to play football bad enough for Tech and Gailey to stay with his studies. Those SAs need to get out of here and make way for those who do want to play for Tech and Gailey.

It is possible there are still some disgruntled players from the old regime who are upset that Mac did not get the job and that O'Brien and Roof are gone. If that is true, the sooner they leave Tech, the better.

Maybe a coach should be signed for a non-binding contract for at least five years so he can get his players in school that wants to play for him. That would give the coach the necessary time to purge the system of those not loyal to the new coach, staff, and school.

If, as reported in another post, the SAs had good qualifications to come to Tech and the ability to pass at Tech, it appears they did not want to play at Tech.

If there are professors in the school trying to undermine the football team on purpose, the professors should be sent on their way, if it can be proven they are trying to single out the football players for failure.

An audit of all the students grades and performances in these classes could easily determine the falseness or validity of those assumptions.

rolleyes.gif

Keep him this year. Wait until VT isn't picked up by the ACC and go after Frank Beamer for the '04 season!!

We need a disciplinarian, how can a coach let 11 players flunk out?
pat.gif

1. This is still an unsubstantiated rumor.
2. These are O'Leary's players, not Gailey's. So the rumor has it.
3. Gailey's a football coach, not an academic tutor.
4. Perhaps the hill is no longer cutting any breaks for football players. If so, no coach will help.

Do you advocate having basketweaving type courses of study at Tech, just to keep football players eligible?
puke.gif

These may be O'Leary's players, but O'Leary made sure those guys were in class and busting their butts to make grades. Gailey tells them what to do and leaves them alone. We need someone who will stay on top of these guys.

From the list that I've seen, 4 of these players are form Gailey's recruiting class!! Can you say NO DISCIPLINE!!!!

"4. Perhaps the hill is no longer cutting any breaks for football players. If so, no coach will help."

Wait a minute, according to the long-standing theory, GT athletes don't get breaks. That's why they have a harder time recruiting the best ones.

And also, GT athletes don't get breaks. Thus the academic integrity of the insitution is not jeopardized like it is at UGA.

Remember...GT athletes don't get breaks.

Back