Focus is on competition, not controversy at quarterback for Georgia Tech

It was in the Q&A Section of the ACC Kickoff transcripts. ... QB Matt Jordan would have to lose the starting spot in fall camp... Just like D. Mills could lose his starting spot (In fact Marcus Marshall lost it last year) There is NO QB controversy at GT, just competition.

Q. Coach, you talked about having to replace Justin Thomas. You're not alone. Four of your fellow coaches in the Coastal have to replace quarterbacks, as well. You've been through this process before. What do you look for in managing the process in bringing somebody new?

PAUL JOHNSON: Right. Well, if we've been doing our job as a coaching staff, we've got guys there in the program that are ready to play. I think a year ago, Matthew Jordan had to go up to Blacksburg, which is a really tough place to play and start the game, and we were fortunate that he won the game there. I think that gave him some confidence and gave our guys some confidence in him.Then this spring, he had an injury and missed most of the spring, so it gave some of our young guys, TaQuon Marshall, a chance, and Jay Jones and Luke Johnson, who were both redshirt freshmen who may actually be the most talented kids we've had at Georgia Tech since I've been there at quarterback.I feel good about that position. You know, it's Matthew's job to lose, but I think we've got four guys at that position that I could call a game for right now, and they're going to have the luxury of being surrounded -- it's very similar to three years ago when Justin was first starting and he was surrounded by a bunch of guys that had experience and had played a lot of football. And for us, four of the five offensive linemen are back, all the running backs and the leading receivers, so he's going to be surrounded, whoever it is, by a group of guys that have played a lot, and that season worked out pretty good. We ended up in the Orange Bowl and beating Mississippi State. Maybe hopefully we'll have another year like that.

As I had this very issue cross my mind this morning I've decided to toss in my thoughts. I've kind of got a feeling that things may gel this season. Just a hunch. That is all.

I'm honestly not worried about the QB position. I think we have a pretty good idea of what MJ can bring to the table, and if he improves his passing and reads, he could be really good. If he gets beaten out by a freshman, that means the guy must be super talented. Either way, I'm more concerned with our defense and ability to generate a pass rush.

My only concern about the quarterbacks is turnovers. We have a lot of games on the schedule that could be decided by a fumbled exchange, an errant pitch, or an INT. Ball security seems to be the last skill acquired by QBs in our system.

My only concern about the quarterbacks is turnovers. We have a lot of games on the schedule that could be decided by a fumbled exchange, an errant pitch, or an INT. Ball security seems to be the last skill acquired by QBs in our system.
This is every season...our orange bowl season we won the turnover battle. Our 3 win season, every bounce went the other way...it's the nature of football. Always comes down to a handful of plays.

It was in the Q&A Section of the ACC Kickoff transcripts.

It was a joke. We discussed this at length in the thread about the ACC media days. You should try reading here sometime.

It was a joke. We discussed this at length in the thread about the ACC media days. You should try reading here sometime.
That was gentle. It's like the repost police put him on probation.

You know, I've been watching football for a while now and I've noticed that teams pretty much always start out with the most experience QB unless they don't.

It was in the Q&A Section of the ACC Kickoff transcripts. ... QB Matt Jordan would have to lose the starting spot in fall camp... Just like D. Mills could lose his starting spot (In fact Marcus Marshall lost it last year) There is NO QB controversy at GT, just competition.

Q. Coach, you talked about having to replace Justin Thomas. You're not alone. Four of your fellow coaches in the Coastal have to replace quarterbacks, as well. You've been through this process before. What do you look for in managing the process in bringing somebody new?

PAUL JOHNSON: Right. Well, if we've been doing our job as a coaching staff, we've got guys there in the program that are ready to play. I think a year ago, Matthew Jordan had to go up to Blacksburg, which is a really tough place to play and start the game, and we were fortunate that he won the game there. I think that gave him some confidence and gave our guys some confidence in him.Then this spring, he had an injury and missed most of the spring, so it gave some of our young guys, TaQuon Marshall, a chance, and Jay Jones and Luke Johnson, who were both redshirt freshmen who may actually be the most talented kids we've had at Georgia Tech since I've been there at quarterback.I feel good about that position. You know, it's Matthew's job to lose, but I think we've got four guys at that position that I could call a game for right now, and they're going to have the luxury of being surrounded -- it's very similar to three years ago when Justin was first starting and he was surrounded by a bunch of guys that had experience and had played a lot of football. And for us, four of the five offensive linemen are back, all the running backs and the leading receivers, so he's going to be surrounded, whoever it is, by a group of guys that have played a lot, and that season worked out pretty good. We ended up in the Orange Bowl and beating Mississippi State. Maybe hopefully we'll have another year like that.
tl;dr: link

How confident are we that Matthew Jordan has the IQ to run the offense as efficiently and intelligently someone like Josh Nesbitt?

Also, does anyone know how big how hands are?

How confident are we that Matthew Jordan has the IQ to run the offense as efficiently and intelligently someone like Josh Nesbitt?

Also, does anyone know how big how hands are?

tenor.gif

Back