Fond memories of Sanford Stadium

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
I remember the 1970 Georgia game.

Under Coach Carson, Tech came into the game with a 7-3 record. We had wins over FSU, Miami, Clemson. We lost at Notre Dame to Theisman and company that year, 10-7. I believe that was the "Rudy" game, but my memory might be wrong.

Georgia, under VD, came into our showdown as the favored team, following a win over Auburn on a trick halfback pass play.

Tech's stinger, Gary Carden intercepted a Georgia pass and a couple of plays later, Jack Williams hit Mike Wysong (God bless him) on a 36 yard TD strike.

Georgia marched 62 yards to tie the game 7-7 entering halftime.

Soon after the second half began, Williams hit Larry Studdard on a touch down strike and we never looked back.

As impressive as our offesive showing was, the defense won the game. Our men held a high-scoring Georgia team to 53 yards rushing and forced four turnovers. In addition to Carden's intercepton early in the game, Smylie Gephart (God bless him) intercepted a halfback pass, and Rock Perdoni, the short man who could move mountains, picked up a fumble.

Final score 17 Tech 7 Georgia.

Great memories, but the most lasting memory for me occured just after the game. In those days, the Tech fans and the Georgia fans sat across an isle from each other. A snake from Georgia broke my nose and like the coward he is, crawled back into the dog pack to hide.

Never been back, would only return to watch the place burn down, or more appropriately, flush down the sewers it was built on.

Any other fond memories of Sanford Stadium?

I feel real fortunate to have been a student at UGA 79-84 when we were pretty much unbeatable. Alas, its been as much agony as ectasy since then. Other than the game outcome, hope all Jackets have a great day in Athens on Saturday. There's a few punks in every fan base but don't let them drag you down to their level with taunts,vandalism, etc. I got my antennae bent once at GT and you insects know how much that hurts but I don't see it as any indictment of the GT fan base. Lets have a good display of sportsmanship on Sat. If ya'll lay off the hedges if Tech wins we won't pile up your cars and burn them if UGA wins
smile.gif

I was at that game, too, 71. One of my all time TECH memories period although I was a little too young to get punched in the nose by an inebriated dawgfan (wouldn't put it past 'em, though). TECH finished the season 8-3 and went bowling and finished the year 9-3. Bud Carson's best year.

THWG

Yep, I was there. I was 13 years young and everything hanging on the wall in my bedroom was GA Tech. I had a bulletin board and would cut pictures of the games out of the Macon and Atlanta papers on SUN. and hang them on the bulletin board. I remember becoming a Tech fan as a little fella. My Dad took me to a Tech game in the early 60's and I think from then own I followed every game they played. I remember the preseason hype prior to the 1971 season because of all the players returning from the 70 team. That season was a big disappointment, especially the embarrassing defeat to Army and the heartwrenching UGA game. I went to the Peach Bowl that year and I know the only reason my Dad sat out in the rain was because he got me the tickets for Christmas. Ole Miss put it to us that night. Y'all think members of that 1970 UGA team remember ole Rock and Smylie?

South Georgia Jacket

Back