Football trivia

First I know about was E. O. Wheeler, but that's just because he was at Tech when I showed up. I would be surprised if he was the first, but he is probably still the craziest kicker we've had. Can't vouch for it but the word on campus was they had to wake him up on the bench at least once to go in and try a FG.

First I know about was E. O. Wheeler, but that's just because he was at Tech when I showed up. I would be surprised if he was the first, but he is probably still the craziest kicker we've had. Can't vouch for it but the word on campus was they had to wake him up on the bench at least once to go in and try a FG.

I would has said EO. Bonifay and Thigpen were kickers when I got there and EO was in my class.

You're right about Bobby and Cam already being there. E.O. was in my class, also and arrived in Fall '72. The previous year, Bobby and Cam shared placement kicking duties. Who kicked off?

This was one of the questions at our Augusta meeting last month. It was Ben Jobsen. By the way, when and where is our July meeting?

Actually:

Jeorge Enderica, from Columbia, had a brief stint on the team in about 1961-62, as a soccer-style kicker, and did pretty well in practice. This was before soccer-style kicking became common.

However, he never got on the field because he was a scholarship swimmer (All-SEC if I remember), and that would have violated scholarship rules.

Back