For you Beebad, let's talk QB play

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
For you Beebad, let\'s talk QB play

Assuming Bilbo wins the job (fingers crossed), from what you've seen is he accurate enough to hit outs and crossing routes, or does he rely on his arm strength to go long most often. Have to admit I didn't see all of his playing time last year and the throws that stood out the most were ropes, but does he have the timing and/or touch to make all the throws?

Anybody seen enough of practice to tell?

Even with the losses at WR we need to stretch the field more than we did last year. AJ just doesn't throw a good long ball IMO so the DBs were able to sit on the shorter stuff. If we can loosen them up it not only opens up more routes but should weaken run support. With the line healthy again and our new, huge FB it could make the offense pretty interesting.

What do you think?

Re: For you Beebad, let\'s talk QB play

I THINK that with time Dbo will be a great QB the question is how much time will it take? I taped all the game and have watched them over and over again and will tell you he makes all the throws.But i must say under pressure i think he sometime tries to make to much happen. Dbo is the man from what i have heard.

NC.. good topic

I saw most of his playing time 'cept for the Fresno game when our cable was out for the 2nd half of the game.. Listened to it on the radio & got eyewitness feedback from BOR & Goldtimer in the old Hive chatroom...

The way Bilbo was used last year, its hard to project what he can do.. Fresno & Georgia.. we were on our heels... tough spot for a young guy to come in who hasn't had a lot of experience.. What didn't make sense is when he would come in we'd seem to abandon our offense & he'd be running all these draws and throwing the ball deep on every third play.. I would've liked to see us run the ball a little with him in the game and let the kid play action.. i.e, get into the flow of the game... For a guy who supposedly didn't know the playbook, seemed like we called a lot of high risk plays with him in the game..

Here's a question for you, NC... based on what you've seen of his tools.. what kind of plays do you think fit his skill set?

Well, I don't claim to be an expert on the finer points of QB play, but I'd think that with Bilbo's athleticism and arm strength he should be able to run just about any offense except probably a true option. He just doesn't seem quick or shifty enough for that. What I would love to see is an attack like MD where we spread the field with our WRs, throw deep enough to loosen up the DBs and make the LBs worry about pass coverage, and then take what they give us. If he can make the reads quickly enough and make the right kinds of throws he has the arm to hit the deep outs that we've been missing from the offense for years.

With the offensive line healty and big MM opening holes for whoever the RB is, we could have a pretty good offense if the QB is a strength this year. I would love to see us use the TE and RBs out of the backfield more in the passing game. What DeBo adds is his ability to run 3-4 draws or QB sweeps a game to make the D-Coordinator's life that much harder.

Let's hope that a year with Nix has solved whatever the issue was last year (don't want to start another war over what the problem was, just hope it's gone). If we don't limit ourselves I really think our offense could be very good if DeBo's up to it. If not, maybe one of the freshmen will prove to be a phenom. What we can't do is try to grind it out with short passes and the running game like we did last year. It takes too long to drive that way and makes every mistake more significant.

Okay...
I'm going to throw this into the mix, Coach Gailey said at the Chattanooga GT Club, that Bilbo was not consistent enough and he would have to look at the freshmen coming in.

Would that comment be made if indeed he was solidly entrenched as the starter and had come along way in the battle for the position? As much as I know he took a lot of reps in spring practice and there seemed to be a lot of talk about this being his time, why would that comment be made?

I'm concerned that Damarius didn't come along like they thought he would - hope I'm wrong!

The biggest upside to DBo is that he is a true leader. If he gets the opportunity to start and get his feet wet he will begin to run this team. Remember all great QBs must first be field generals. DBO has this as well as what I hear from good sources the new QBs have it as well. An army of lions commanded by 1 sheep is likely to be defeated by the army of sheep lead by 1 lion.

Coach Gailey said at the Chattanooga GT Club, that Bilbo was not consistent enough and he would have to look at the freshmen coming in.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't pretend to know, but I suspect Coach is leaving the starting job open to competition to motivate DB to work harder.

I did have some inside knowledge that is exactly what the Fridge did with Shawn Jones his freshman year. My source said it was obvious that Shawn was the best but Fridge kept his nose to the grindstone by having the other QBs compete...

It seemed to me that Camp and Debo were the 2 best during Spring. However, Hargrove & Henderson kept so much pressure on them that they had to throw on the run nearly every play.

I think that Debo kept the ball and took punishment more often during the Spring, which is a direct result IMO that he was being coached not to force his throws.

Does anybody remember whether he was intercepted in the final game of the spring? That game had all our defensive players in it before the flunk out scenario. That would be a good guage of how well Debo is doing.

Mustard, if I remember correctly, Bilbo was intercepted on his first pass. The good thing about the situation, he did not get rattled. He came back and played well during the scrimmage.

I will take this opportunity to comment on another post about Bilbo's passing techniques. It appears true, he is at his best when the pass requires a rope. It appears, he needs to learn to throw the change-up for passes that require a soft touch.

I think he just needs time and experience. The fall practice will probably give us a better indication of how the team will progress with Bilbo at the helm. I do expect him to be the number one quarterback heading into the season.

That is not bad, because it will give Carter and Ball time to learn the offense. I do hope Camp will be given consideration and an opportunity to be the back-up.

wink.gif

JacksonJacket, it appears Bilbo's strong suit is passing. He has a little speed and is big enough, but does not seem to have the shiftiness of quarterbacks that break open a defense with their running abilities.

He does not appear to be an option quarterback. He appears to be more on the mold of a typical pro style quarterback.

smile.gif

Gotcha! What's the height difference between D'bo and Joe?

I kinda think that Debo looks like a running back who can throw.

JacksonJacket, ahsoisee is thinking along with me on this (sorry for any insult ahso). I can see DeBo running more of a called option, in that he really is making only one read, pitch or keep, a few times a game. With Joe, we really could have gone with a wishbone if we wanted to and let him make all the reads. Also Joe could make somebody miss by juking him. DeBo seems to have good straight ahead speed and has some moves but looks more like a slashing style runner to me than a jitterbug.

Hope that makes some sense.

MsTA - hadn't heard about CG's comments in Chattanooga, thanks. Whoever starts I hope this time it's because somebody wins the position rather than getting it be default. I hope DeBo comes back ready to take charge and if one of the FR beats him out so be it. I'd hate to settle for a "safe" pick again. I just don't see any chance to be successful like that.

Makes sense, I just wanted to get others opinions on what they saw the "D'bo style" becoming.

With age and game experience though, I see him being able to make the multiple reads necessary for a dangerous option.

I know one thing for sure concerning QB situation,
if I were Reggie Ball and Pat Carter - I'd be honing my skills and athleticism during this summer and doing everything I can to be ready to learn, work hard and practice hard!

Not many true freshmen QBs ever have chances to play. They have to know there's a very good possibility they will have that opportunity here. I can't imagine them not chomping at the bit to make their mark - that could be a saving grace for us if they come in mentally and physically well prepared. In the end, I think we will need them as well.

A lot of true freshmen QBs know early on they're going to have to sit - let's hope they grab that chance and make something happen because it's there for them to take and we need backup!

The one thing I know for sure, is that Bilbo has better looking corn rows than Suggs.
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
The one thing I know for sure, is that Bilbo has better looking corn rows than Suggs.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">the above about sums up the level of expertise you posess regarding the issue under discussion.

grin.gif

I hope Bilbo is ready because to start a true freshman QB against our schedule and Athlon's may be right. I also put zero credence into anything Gailey says regarding a player's playing time as he has shown time and again the inability to tell the truth (Bilbo is too good to sit on the sidelines, lights are going on in Suggs head, Hollins will be ready next year, etc.) I hope the new passing game coordinator is as good as advertised and Bilbo can make some progress. I notice I am doing a lot of hoping but QB play will make or break us.

Originally posted by Wrecked:
I hope Bilbo is ready because to start a true freshman QB against our schedule and Athlon's may be right. I also put zero credence into anything Gailey says regarding a player's playing time as he has shown time and again the inability to tell the truth (Bilbo is too good to sit on the sidelines, lights are going on in Suggs head, Hollins will be ready next year, etc.) I hope the new passing game coordinator is as good as advertised and Bilbo can make some progress. I notice I am doing a lot of hoping but QB play will make or break us.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">never let facts get in the way of a good smear campaign.

i am sorry but gailey never said that lights are going on in Suggs head. don't make stuff up ..

those words belong to O'Brien.

I think that DBo's problem is avoiding the negative play, i.e., he looks great and makes 4-5 good looking plays but then throws the ball into coverage and gives up the interception. He MUST learn to avoid the big mistake.

Coaches like Dodd made their whole careers by waiting for guys to make a mistake and capitalize on it.

DBo has all the tools to be a great QB, but he must learn when to eat the tater... or throw it out of bounds anyway.

Back