For you Beebad, let's talk QB play

Re: For you Beebad, let\'s talk QB play

You're 100% right rw1...DeBo always tried to make a big play when he got his chances last year. Don't know if that's because it's his nature, that he hasn't learned to eat it and try again next play, or whether he was pressing because he got so little playing time. Whatever it was I hope he's over it and can run the offense effectively.

Originally posted by ylojk8:QUOTE]never let facts get in the way of a good smear campaign.

i am sorry but gailey never said that lights are going on in Suggs head. don't make stuff up ..

those words belong to O'Brien.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The lights are what the deer looks at when approaching the line of scrimmage... as in headlights...

Hopefully the coaches not being at cross purposes, ala CG/BOB, this year will have a positive effect on the whole team. I wonder who'll be up in the box this year? We know who's calling the plays.

NC... here's how I see the base offense with Bilbo in it.. 1. counter trey to the left side... 2. fake country trey, Bilbo rolls to right side and hits TE underneath... 3. Bilbo rolls right, reads Left DE.. if he's up the field then shovel pass to back underneath, if not he rolls out.. I think you will see the TE in motion a lot so Biblo can get a read on whether or not it is zone or man... This offense will look similar to how the Falcons' O looked early last year...

BTW, I hope Bilbo doesn't keep bulking up.. he looked plenty big enough last year.. I'd like to see them work on his flexibility more so than strength or size.. he's big enough...

BeeBad, could be right. As long as we're moving the ball and putting some points up it's all good to me. I agree that he seems plenty big. I guess you can't get too strong but a QB can get to bulked up. I know our S&C coach caught a lot of flack last year (can't remember his name) but he was an award winner while at Wake Forest and we all saw how they pushed us around last year. I hope he knows what he's doing.

Thanks for all on this thread! It's nice to read a good X's and O's conversation.

Question for NC, how do you mean 'true option' as it relates to D'bo? Joe Heisman ran it to a T and forced DE's to commit to either him or the RB's. Is it your gut feeling D'bo can't run it like this or did you have another type of option in mind? In the QB run plays last year, he seemed to have good speed and the ability to juke the first tackler so IMO he seems poised to bring back the option.

Thanks!
JJ

NC... what do you think AJ's role will be this year? For some strange reason I think he's gonna come into some games in the second half when we are behind & play pretty well... Pressure is off, he's been down there 3 years... and he's a senior now... Should I set downt the keyboard & take 2 steps back??

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a lot of Suggs this year coming up. Gailey is certainly trying to give DBO the starters role and is structuring the offense to try to take the pressure off of his decision making "shortfalls". However, I fully expect our early opponents to throw everything including the kitchen sink at DBO - every defensive formation, every concievable blitz, every line twist - to make him have to make decisions and to put pressure on him. I know I would if I were them.

I hope DBO succeeds with this. He certainly will get his chance. But he can get rattled/make mistakes and need to come out for a while or he can hold on to the ball too long and too often in the face of multiple blitzes and have to come out. In either case I would expect to see Suggs rather than the Frosh. But I guess they could surprise me.

Meanwhile, back to the original point, IMO our QB play this year will be as good as DBO's decision making ability progresses. He has all the physical tools to be successful even without the option, and Gailey is going to do his best to make the QB position a much smaller part of the success of the offense than during the JHamilton era. I think we will see some pretty ugly series as we are conservative to protect DBO and avoid turnovers. HOpefully, DBO will progress and we can see some big plays as he gets more comfortable - but the key will be his decision making ability.

I can see Suggs getting some time, but I really hope it's spot duty. Nothing against the kid, but he just didn't show me that his decision making was that much better than DeBo's last year and he almost always seemed a split second slow both making his decision and executing. Maybe not being the starter would make it easier for him and let it come more naturally, though. Like I've said before, if we win I don't really care. But I don't think Gailey can afford to lose with Suggs. He might get by losing with DeBo or a freshman if we're playing hard and showing signs of progress.

One big change I see in the quarterbacks this year is the fact Nix is working with them. Since Nix was a good quarterback and knows the ropes, I expect all of the quarterbacks to be better this year.

wink.gif

Originally posted by ncjacket:
I can see Suggs getting some time, but I really hope it's spot duty. Nothing against the kid, but he just didn't show me that his decision making was that much better than DeBo's last year and he almost always seemed a split second slow both making his decision and executing. Maybe not being the starter would make it easier for him and let it come more naturally, though. Like I've said before, if we win I don't really care. But I don't think Gailey can afford to lose with Suggs. He might get by losing with DeBo or a freshman if we're playing hard and showing signs of progress.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree NcJ: Losing with Suggs would cause such turmoil - I can only imagine what this board would be like!

We might see a lot of Suggs, because DBo may get his block knocked off a couple of times from what I heard of spring practice. You can rest assured ever team would throw non-stop blitzes at him to confuse and dismay him.

Back