Frankly if we keep up this graduation rate fixation...

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
UVA will be blowing us out like that in the near future.

UVA is bringing in minimum qualifiers and (horrors) Prep School players and they have already passed us by in overall talent with just ONE recruiting class.

We can worry about the new NCAA progress toward degree requirements when they actually institute them.

We need some help and I don't think Chan can find enough 300 lb 4.6 guys on the chess club to do it.

One other thing, I am a FOC.

Those of you who have the patience of a teenage girl need to step back and be realistic. Turning GT into a coaching carousel will not win us a MNC. What coach do you have any confidence in that he would be clearly superior, we could actually get him, and he would stay long enough for us to compete for a MNC?

Having said that, this one will hurt for a LOOOOOONG time. Chan has obviously let us down. Chan needs to show some improvement next year overall and major improvement this February and next Thanksgiving. I am sure he is well aware of this and I bet we will be much happier next December!

Every one of us has our opinions on how to fix the Wreck. I look at our O last year and our QB regressed badly and our team couldn't score. No phase of the offense was better than the previous year. This year, more of the same. But I know nothing about FB.

The grad rate fix was not the problem this year but it will be in a few years. We are battleing wake and duke for last place in the conference in recruiting now. Say what you want about the 'gurus' and thier rankings but we will have a serious talent shortage in a few years if this continues.

You're right GTCrew. The administration is making an apples to orange comparisons on graduation rates. Schools like UGA are putting their players in sheltered classes and joke majors like "Sports Studies and Family Services". These players are getting degrees that qualify them for pretty much nothing. However it inflates the graduation rate. Mississippi State has improved its graduation rate greatly. How? Most of the players are in the fitness management major. Somebody needs to look at what kind of jobs people are getting (or not getting) with these degrees.

The graduation rate thing is a cover for lack of energy in recruiting and establishing relationships with h.s. coaches. There is no excuse for FAILURE if and when it happens.

Look I don't know what is going on with GA HS coaches or how our recruiting class will stack up. But I am interesting in knowing why you think the graduation rate thing is cover for anything? Does it not bother you that we have one of the worst grad rates in the ACC? That we have kids (J Burns) flunking out after 4 seasons? I'm not saying we should have a 90% grad rate, but hell, 50% would be good as a start.

No, it doesn't bother me.

The overall grad rate at GT is lower than most schools yet our athlete grad rate is not far from average. And while it is normal to get out of Cow College in 8 semesters there is no shame in normal students taking five or six years at GT. So the numbers are skewed there also.

For every Joe Burns there are several with marginal test scores that do make it. Why deny them the chance.

But our FB grad rates are far from average. I don't have the numbers right here but IIRC about 55-60%?? of Tech freshmen grad in 6 years but FB is only about 30%. That's pretty sad to me.

And they GET 6 years to graduate in the official numbers. With all the tutors and other assistance the athletes get they should at least be able to match the normal student rates don't you think? That should allow for those who transfer or go pro and a few bad guesses by the coaches.

I would never expect us to win any awards or match Duke's 90+%. To me that would prove they are getting preferential treatment from profs (like that's going to happen at Tech).

Back