FSU & B Bowden always wanted GT to be their big rival

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
It just hasn't worked out that way. The Techmen just can't get over the hump to pull one out to make a true rivalry out of it. Tech has probably led Fla St in the 2nd half & 4th qtr more than any ACC team, but we always find a way to lose the game before the end.
Bowden has always been very complimentary to Ga Tech & our players & coaching staffs. He's always said that he thought Tech would be FSU's main rival. This yr is no exception.
"He's going to get my vote for Coach of the Year. That guy's unbelievable. I can't believe what he's done. I can't believe what they're doing," - Florida State coach Bobby Bowden on Tech head coach Chan Gailey and the Yellow Jackets' season.

Bowden praises GT once again.

Bowden has always been a class act and would be at the top of any nationwide poll for most liked coach..Always a Southern gentleman...Gt has this jinx thing when playing FSU..Close so many times but always a couple of points short..we outplay them often but come up a little short..Very much like Miami has Fsu's number and we have NC State's number and UF has Uga's number...This is common that most team's have that one opponent that they just have bad luck against.. Im convinced Chan would have broken that trend if we would have kept playing...

Someone pointed out in another thread that NCSU has become the FSU rival. They have beaten FSU two or three times in the past few years.

Father Timer

Yes, NCSU HAS beaten FSU twice of late, but I'm betting that NO one has played FSU closer and more competitively year in and year out (with the rare exception) in recent past than GT. We have been within a TD of beating them in '99, 2000, 2002, and 2003.

No other ACC team can say that.

We have been within single digits of beating them every year since 1999.

Thanks to the ACC we aren't going to get the chance to finally beat them the next couple years. They screwed the pooch big time by scrapping the only thing close to a rivalry that FSU had in the old ACC. Way to build tradition, Braine, Swofford, Hart, etc.

Originally posted by GT Ace:
Bowden has always been very complimentary to Ga Tech & our players & coaching staffs.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bowden has done a 'great' job at FSU and has a track record to prove it. A compliment of this type from Bowden speaks volumes (in my book) about the job that CCG is doing at Tech. I'm still reserved relative to my personal opinion of CCG's performance until the end of the season but the Bowden assessment is a really good data point to consider.

BuzzB

bsmeter.gif

It's not like our series w/FSU is gone forever. We only take a 2 yr hiatus & then we'll play them for 6 straight yrs.
Ga Tech just better be ready in '06 with, at least, Fla St & Notre Dame on the schedule. It also appears that, at least, Miami will be in our division & we'll have to play them each yr.
How long til we build a rivalry w/Miami??????
How long til we beat Miami?????

Getting away from the game may be better for us in the long run. By the time we get FSU back on the schedule it won't be such a big game as we'll be playing Miami and VT every year. If we can lose the hype we can take them.

NCJacket, there is probably of a lot of truth in your statement.

Father Time

Back