Fuente to VT

travgt01

Flats Noob
Supposedly

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-yard-dash--coaching-carousel-edition-072320394-ncaaf.html

Virginia Tech (9) – Leaving: Frank Beamer. Arriving: The Dash is betting the mortgage on Memphis coach Justin Fuente, and betting that it happens quickly next week. Word is that athletic director Whit Babcock has his man, and has for a while now, and Fuente is that man. He’s done a remarkable job at previously moribund Memphis, going 18-6 over the past two seasons. It’s possible that tumbling dominoes at LSU and points elsewhere (namely Florida State) unspring this, but unlikely. A Fuente hiring would also keep Rich Rodriguez in place at Arizona.

Only means Bud Foster is going somewhere big time.

Eh, I used to think he was going to eventually either succeed Beamer or land a nice HC gig, but there's been quite the murmur this year about him not really being head coach material due to some off the field personality trait stuff. If that stuff isn't true, i can't imagine why VPI wouldn't give him a shot.

Welp, they are going to be really good.

Meh. Unless he brings that NFL prototype QB with him from Memphis, he's nothing to be scared of. He's only coached for 4 years, and his only two winning seasons came with a likely 1st round draft pick at QB. He may be awesome, but I've got no reason to think that right now. In fact, unless he retains Foster, I see this as a definite plus for GT.

Meh. Unless he brings that NFL prototype QB with him from Memphis, he's nothing to be scared of. He's only coached for 4 years, and his only two winning seasons came with a likely 1st round draft pick at QB. He may be awesome, but I've got no reason to think that right now. In fact, unless he retains Foster, I see this as a definite plus for GT.

Yeah because 1st round draft picks at QB just fall out of the sky and are randomly distributed around college football. You don't have to coach them up or call plays or anything. They just win and take you along for the ride. Great point.

So how did this dude make Memphis good? I haven't watched them play. Sometimes coaches at mid-level schools get freak great QBs that make them look good

So how did this dude make Memphis good? I haven't watched them play. Sometimes coaches at mid-level schools get freak great QBs that make them look good

Navy made em look silly.

Eh, I used to think he was going to eventually either succeed Beamer or land a nice HC gig, but there's been quite the murmur this year about him not really being head coach material due to some off the field personality trait stuff. If that stuff isn't true, i can't imagine why VPI wouldn't give him a shot.

No, I'm saying as a DC

Yeah because 1st round draft picks at QB just fall out of the sky and are randomly distributed around college football. You don't have to coach them up or call plays or anything. They just win and take you along for the ride. Great point.

Urban Myer and Alex smith.

Sometimes it's a great coach that makes decent quarterbacks great.

Gonna be Morris. Keeping Bud as DC. Bud knows no one wants him as Head Ball Coach.

There are more openings than usual this year, and more major ones (both USCs, LSU, VT, Miami, on and on) and Fuente is in my opinion the belle of the ball. A very poor crop of "flavor of the week" rising coaches, mostly just Fuente and Herman of Houston. Herman is even more suspect, being in his first year and having inherited a team that was hot at the the end of last year. Wouldn't touch him. I honestly think at this point some coaches will survive where they are just because athletic directors see it's a seller's market. By the way the Air Force coach seems impressive to me for anyone willing to try triple option plus the kitchen sink--that guy runs a little of everything.

Urban Myer and Alex smith.

Sometimes it's a great coach that makes decent quarterbacks great.

My post was sarcasm. At least 9 times out of 10 when a quarterback is a 1st rounder, a coach had something to do with it.

Welp, they are going to be really good.

Nope. Their coach looks pretty smart while having the top QB prospect playing for him. By the way, he's lost his last 3 games in a row to Navy, Houston, and Temple. VT is acting quite stupidly if they don't promote Foster (a known commodity) and hire a top notch OC. Oh well...their loss!

VT wins 10 games next year if they get Fuente. Bottle of whiskey bet. First taker.

Back