Further departures/attrition

In the last 21 years we have averaged slightly more than 10 ppl leaving the program from year to year. I expect it will stay at least that high.

Question for the experts on this Forum:

Ideally do we want to recruit 25 each year and assume attrition of 4 to 6 per season depending on the transfers in and out plus early exits?

The need to upgrade our roster was particularly dire these last two classes.

I think moving forward it will be about quality more than quantity, but to this point we needed our 25. We'll find room for great players no matter.

We always have significant attrition. The new transfer rules will lead to more attrition. Better recruiting will lead to early exits for the draft.
so what if guys leave early after this year for the draft? there are a couple who have the potential. including one that I heard the previous staff figured was going to the NFL after three years. and this will be his third year

The need to upgrade our roster was particularly dire these last two classes.

somewhere buried in a story Ken did in the AJC some months ago was a snippet about how the current staff was pleasantly surprised at the talent of the skill players they inherited.
The two biggest areas to address were OL -- and not that the current guys couldn't play, but that what was needed was a completely different skill set and type -- and DL, especially on the interior. But as the man said, everybody is on the hunt for those.
The secondary had Tre Swilling (4 star by Rivals, 3 by 247), Walton (a 6-2, 6-3 corner), Juanyeh, Tariq (an undervalued 2 star), 4-star Kaleb Oliver, and a 4 star LB in BJ-S (now at RB), a LB Miami wanted in Charlie Thomas, along with the incoming class CGC staff inherited, with Bennett and Knight, Jaquez Jackson and Jaquan Henderson (who recently departed the program, and I'd like to know more about that). Plus, Mason at RB, Sanders and Carter at WR (who have had their moments, both good and bad), Howard at RB (now at LB, though he looked good on occasion out of the backfield, re: his TD catch against Duke last year) and two 4 star QBs.
As for the latter two, well, coach, coach em up.

talking with a coach I know who has a really good prospect but he's not quite 6 foot tall. a SEC coach came in to see him and said, I can't offer a guy who's not six foot. Even though the kid can flat play and is a stud. that coach told Mr SEC you probably don't want a 25 man class of guys his size but you can get him and plug him in and he will be good for you.
what college coaches are now focusing on, from what I hear, is hand size and wing span.

so what if guys leave early after this year for the draft? there are a couple who have the potential. including one that I heard the previous staff figured was going to the NFL after three years. and this will be his third year
Well the previous staff wouldn’t know what an NFL player actually looked like so I wouldn’t put too much faith in there predictions

Jeremiah Smith has gone on medical scholarship. Cade Koots gets that scholly and is now practicing with the team. I believe we are at 85.

Last edited:
In the last 21 years we have averaged slightly more than 10 ppl leaving the program from year to year. I expect it will stay at least that high.
Wow, I'm amazed it's that high. Just going on my own anecdotal memories I would've guessed 5-6 per year. Curious what your source for this is?

Wow, I'm amazed it's that high. Just going on my own anecdotal memories I would've guessed 5-6 per year. Curious what your source for this is?
Don’t know his exact source, but I’ve seen the data at different times, and around 10 is right. Mid teens in a high year, a few with 5 or 6 on the low end.

Don’t know his exact source, but I’ve seen the data at different times, and around 10 is right. Mid teens in a high year, a few with 5 or 6 on the low end.
Is that just scholarship attrition?

Scholarship players w/ eligibility remaining not returning to the football team the following year (for whatever reason).
Just doesn't seem possible, if we signed the max of 25 every year, and all redshirted and we had 10/year leave the best we could do is 85, with 25 of them being true freshman.

Does that same source say what we give in "honorary" scholarships every year?

Just doesn't seem possible, if we signed the max of 25 every year, and all redshirted and we had 10/year leave the best we could do is 85, with 25 of them being true freshman.

Does that same source say what we give in "honorary" scholarships every year?
We take transfers in every year + give scholarships to walkons. Can’t think of many years when we haven’t done both

Rivals keeps a list of attrition. Graduates with remaining eligibility, transfers, leave early for nfl, kicked off team for rules, academics.

If you sign 25 every year, you would have 100 on the roster, not counting redshirts, etc. So I would say the average team loses quite a few every year. Seems like in the past we struggled to even have 85 every year.

Back