Gailey doesn't get it!

**DONOTDELETE**

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Gailey doesn\'t get it!

Unlike some people (Beeware), I like to give people the opportunity to perform before I begin critisizing them. Since we are almost done this year, here are my observations:

1. In general, it appeared the players were not as well conditioned at the beginning of fall practice as in previous years. This is mainly the fault of the players, but the coach should (within the rules) create a sense of urgency accountability amongst the players so conditioning is a non-issue.

2. Practice and meeting time in college is precious because it is limited per the rules. Therefore, it is crucial to be well organized and not waste practice time on conditioning or explaining the drill. The players need to be in good condition and understand the drills before they step onto the practice field.

3. "You practice like you play and play like you practice" The intensity of practice seemed to be significantly lower than previous years.

4. Since the Fridge left, QB technique has suffered. Go watch the way a Fridge coached QB follows through on the play fake. Remember how the TV camera-men used to get confused by our play fakes all the time. Haven't seen it happen in awhile. This is one of the reasons why we have had fewer big plays the past two years. When the QB does not follow through on the play fake, he has failed to setup the counter play later in the game. QB footwork and throwing motion has also been sloppier. I would attribute this difference to individual QBs, but you could see the difference in Godsey and Maryland QBs (Night & Day).

5. Is it just me or does the team seem to be more excited when Bilbo is in the game? When I look at the sideline, Bilbo is the one interacting with his teammates. When Bilbo succeeds, the team rejoices. If Bilbo only knows 15 plays after being on campus for two years, he is either poorly coached or will never get it.

7. The defense is significantly better than previous years. It has nothing to do with personel and everything to do with implementing a scheme that makes the best use of our players' abilities.

8. Why do we always throw short passes on third down? I understand throwing short of the down marker every once in awhile, but how about throwing a 10+ yard pass when you need 10 yards every so often.

9. Gailey does not seem to be a very good communicator. Going into the Georgia game, it would have been easy to feel pretty good about our season considering all of our injuries. But we didn't largely because of Gailey's failure to manage perceptions. He has failed to capture the "hearts & minds" of the Tech faithful and perhaps the players as well.

10. It probably wasn't a good idea to kickoff recruiting season by essentially saying "Georgia high school students are too dumb so we are going to focus on recruiting out of state students". I know it wasn't Gailey's intent to come across this way and I know there is some truth to his comments. But would it have killed him to make his point in a way that wasn't borderline insulting to every potential in-state recruit. I'll guarantee you that there are in-state recruits out there that have not expressed an interest in Georgia Tech because they do not think we are interested in them specifically because of Gailey's comments on in-state recruiting.

Alright I am tired of typing. As Dennis Miller says, "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong".

Re: Gailey doesn\'t get it!

Good points! CG has obviously been playing his cards very close to the chest. He's the kind of guy that won't risk what he's not sure of. His fundamentals are genuine and sound and next year, as well as the offseason, should bear marked improvements (QB, offense, coaches, etc).

Okay, I've got more:

11. I don't think Gailey understands the difference between college players and NFL players. NFL players are professionals. It is their job. If they don't do their job, they get fired and replaced. As a result, NFL players are in general highly self-motivated and know how to win. In college, players cannot be replaced, have varying degrees of self-motivation, and need to be shown what it takes to win. College requires the coach to push his players to acheive and to clearly explain what it takes to win.

12. Considering Bilbo ran the draw on first down everytime he came in the game and everyone knew it, he did pretty good. If we are letting a WR run the option, why can't Bilbo run the option. Bilbo appears to see the field better and make better decisions in the passing game than Suggs. Think about it how many times did Bilbo make stupid throws compared to Suggs.

13. Reuben Houston, Eric Henderson, Tony Hargrove, Lavon Thomas, and LeKeldrick Bridges will be stars if properly developed.

14. Thank you Kerry Watkins for the big catches and the little things that often go unnoticed. Thank you Kelly Rhino for your toughness and intensity. Thank you Jeremy Muyres for being better than I thought you could.

15. Our offense looks like Donnan's (disjointed, poorly timed, etc...) only we don't have the atheletes Georgia had during his tenure. Before games, I used to feel like our offense had magic bullets. Now I am just waiting for the disappointment to begin.

Done for now maybe more later. This is good therapy I think.

cbre,

Have no problem with any of these statements. Nicely done. Appreciate the WAY it was stated as well. Makes a huge difference.

cbre,
All of us will figure out what a lousy Divsion 1 college coach that Chan Gailey is. Some of us knew immediately...some it took until spring practice was over....some began to worry during fall practice....some began to notice during the season.....some didn't notice until the ugag game....some are still holding out hope (blindly).
Some it may take until our program is run completely into the ground.
But make no mistake about it....we ALL will realize it sooner or later.

Back