Gailey, love him or hate him...

G

Geetee

...it just doesn't matter this season bc we got him. I'm not a big supporter of him to say the least, but he'll get my support from here on out. Now, if GT starts faltering, watch out because if the water is already luke warm now, it will be boiling at just mid-season with the fans. Yes, there will be a few on here saying "you don't support GT with that attitude", "this hurts the team", etc...but the heat is coming should the losses start mounting.

For those always optimistic GT fans, get ready...and enjoy the next few weeks of luke warm water as right now we're undefeated.

If Gailey wins, he'll be toasted as any coach would. If Gailey loses, he'll be roasted more than any coach would.

If the team wins 7+ games this year, there are some, especially on this board, that will say the team won in spite of Gailey, that O'Leary's recruits carried through another season. And will want him fired.

If we go 12-1 and end up ranked #3, they'll want his head because he blew the one game, costing us an MNC.
pat.gif

Look, ain't nobody happy about the last two games last year, but it happened, it's in the record books, GIT OVER IT!! MOVE ON!! Believe me, Gailey, the staff and the players all have gotten over it and have moved on. They got a whole new season to play - they ain't sittin' around and pointing fingers.

You need to try and pay attention to how the team competes and watch to see if they improve and get better. That is the best way to judge the team, because the fact is there are some serious structural problems with this team. I'm watching to see how smart and how hard these kids play. If I see a hard-nosed team that fights and scraps I will very pleased with Coach Gailey.

Personally, I feel he has done an outstanding job with this team over the summer and into fall practice. It really looks to me that he has gotten the lay of the land and that he can build a solid program here. I didn't think that last winter though. Although, I'm sure if he losses to Auburn, FSU, etc. he will catch a lot of crap from the idiots.

If we beat BYU and clemson, i'll have no problem losing to AU and FSU if they are hard fought games. I see no reason for the water to boil with 2-4 start with the teams we have to play.

I get the feeling that some people are just praying for the team to fail this season.

Originally posted by Axe:
You need to try and pay attention to how the team competes and watch to see if they improve and get better. That is the best way to judge the team, because the fact is there are some serious structural problems with this team. I'm watching to see how smart and how hard these kids play. If I see a hard-nosed team that fights and scraps I will very pleased with Coach Gailey.

Personally, I feel he has done an outstanding job with this team over the summer and into fall practice. It really looks to me that he has gotten the lay of the land and that he can build a solid program here. I didn't think that last winter though. Although, I'm sure if he losses to Auburn, FSU, etc. he will catch a lot of crap from the idiots.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">excellent post Axe.. I am in your camp on this one..

Excellent post AXE, I may add one other thing to look for and that is team discipline. So many times we kept our opponents on the field after 3rd
down stops only to be hit with useless penalties.
Chan has indicated that he is well aware of this as well as another gripe of some Tech fans and that is the way our opponents pushed us around.
From all indications we are physically stronger
than a year ago but again we will see.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree that Gailey has seemed to get the program back in the coach's hands and out of the AD's. However, I still see no reason this team should not win seven games. Taking away Auburn, we play the same schedule we played last fall. The Clemson and Wake losses were both winnable games. FSU was a win that poor QB decision making turned into a loss. We beat NC State and quite frankly manhandled UVA. We whipped Maryland up and down the field for one half and quite frankly if we score just one more TD, that is a different game. So looking to this year Auburn and Georgia are really the only games I feel are unwinnable. Pick up 7 out of the remaining 10 and we go 7-5. There is no reason we should do worse and I can't understand why Tech fans think we will.

Plenty of reasons why we might not win 7. Here are just a few off the top of my hit.

1. No proven playmakers at RB.
2. No proven playmakers at QB.
3. The depth behind WRs has yet to step up. A key injury and our offense becomes very pedestrian.
4. 250 lbs. or less Defensive Ends a couple of which are true frosh that should be redshirting. True Freshmen Defensive Tackles playing lots of downs. Our coaches and back 7 are going to have to cover up a very thin and green defensive front.

I'm optimistic that some kids will step up at these spots. But the odds are 50/50 at the positions I listed. We will probably have kids step up at a couple of the spots and not have anyone at it at the others. If that happens, I think this team will have its work cut out for it to win 6.

Plenty of reasons why we might not win 7. Here are just a few off the top of my hit.

1. No proven playmakers at RB.
2. No proven playmakers at QB.
3. The depth behind WRs has yet to step up. A key injury and our offense becomes very pedestrian.
4. 250 lbs. or less Defensive Ends a couple of which are true frosh that should be redshirting. True Freshmen Defensive Tackles playing lots of downs. Our coaches and back 7 are going to have to cover up a very thin and green defensive front.

I'm optimistic that some kids will step up at these spots. But the odds are 50/50 at the positions I listed. We will probably have kids step up at a couple of the spots and not have anyone at it at the others. If that happens, I think this team will have its work cut out for it to win 6.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Axe you are so right.

The only placed I agree with you is on the defensive front. That is one area where we will struggle and will need our outstanding (best in the couference IMO) linebackers to step up.

Gotta disagree on the others though. We have the same QBs that won seven games last year and we have added a QB who has moved them down the depth chart. That sounds like an upgrade there.

We lost our star RB in the fourth game, and went 4-4 without him, giving valuable experience to our current squad of RB's.

Factor in a coach who is showing he has moved up the learning curve and anybody expecting less than seven is selling these kids short.

Wrecked ... you make some excellent points.. and while I agree with Axe.. I also disagree with you both in that I am more concerned about our DL and maturation of the secondary than I am anything..

I am from the old school of thinking that if you have defense .. you have a chance.. I think the key for us in the first 4 games will be our ability to be effective in run defense.. if we can do this, I think our season will be better than most expect.. if we cant..

BYU scares me more running than passing.. Auburn certainly does.. FSU will have the Jones kid back, and we didnt have to face him last year..

We certainly have athletic talent in the secondary.. but in-play adjustments come with experience.. mistakes are going to be made there at times.. the good thing about this area though, is that I think Rix is probably the only one that could hurt us passing.. it seems he is having a good camp this year

I think for us to have a chance in those games (maybe with the exception of BYU).. we HAVE to have a mistake free, ball control offense in those games, and a defense that can stop the run more than not..

Jacketguy,

FWIW, I think this could be the best GT secondary in more than a decade. Butler and Landry are playing very well right now. It also feels great to have some confident CBs with some size and athletic ability. We should be much improved in the secondary.

Just imagine...yeah I know it's spilt milk, but think how effective this young athletic secondary could be with both Tony AND Eric rushing the passer! Actually, while I've digressed here, imagine this team with TH,TH,AM,CH,JP& GG....WOW!
All this qb stuff would much less an issue. THWG

Axe - I agree with you that this could be a great secondary - I am just afraid that that projection may be a year early.

I just hope the DLine is good enough against the run to where people worry about testing the secondary and we don't talk about how good they are because they are making all the tackles.

Anyway if the OLine doesn't get hurt I do agree we will surprise some folks.

Originally posted by GT4Life:
If we beat BYU and clemson, i'll have no problem losing to AU and FSU if they are hard fought games. I see no reason for the water to boil with 2-4 start with the teams we have to play.

I get the feeling that some people are just praying for the team to fail this season.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just wondering...How can we have a 2-4 start just four games in???
BTW...On the "Gaily, love him, or hate him" thing...Is there one thats IN BETWEEN the two?? Thats where I am.

Cheers,

RW4L
drinking.gif

Originally posted by Ramblinwreck4Life:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GT4Life:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just wondering...How can we have a 2-4 start just four games in???
BTW...On the "Gaily, love him, or hate him" thing...Is there one thats IN BETWEEN the two?? Thats where I am.

Cheers,

RW4L
drinking.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's called lust...

RamblinWrech4Life:

Just wondering...How can we have a 2-4 start just four games in???

Ask MsTA, I bet she could explain it!

Father Time

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Ramblinwreck4Life:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GT4Life:

Cheers,

RW4L
drinking.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's called lust...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Haha...that was funny...WAIT, NO IT WASEN'T
pat.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
RamblinWrech4Life:

Just wondering...How can we have a 2-4 start just four games in???

Ask MsTA, I bet she could explain it!

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">With Chan the coach ANYTHING can happen at GT - 2002 speaks for itself and it didn't need me! Still can't get over 7 wins in 13 games - eat your heart out!

shocked.gif

Back