Gailey Said that

Big Buck

Flats Noob
he was 100% sure that Bilbo will stay at Tech according to the Macon Telegraph today. There was a meeting between Bilbo and Chan and it appears that Bilbo was OK with the changes. Bilbo stated that he could still play some QB in certain circumstances or something like that. Man, it seems to be a as the Chan turns with this kid. I hope that this situation can be resolved soon so young Bilbo can begin to work out the kinks in his new position. He is a very talented kid and we don't need any distractions that could divide our team. It is not long til TOE MEETS LEATHER and the focus should be on the game plan rather than the periphrial things that has set the message boards on fire. We just could surprise some folks if we can play a great game at BYU.

"still play some QB in certain situations"????

I have no doubts at some point Damarius, along with 3 or 4 others, will get to line up in the shotgun and run the QB draw.

More slashing.

You think it will fool Auburn moreso than Fresno?

Originally posted by Father WASP:

I have no doubts at some point Damarius, along with 3 or 4 others, will get to line up in the shotgun and run the QB draw.

More slashing.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thank goodness O'Brien isn't here to call the QB draw ehh Wasp? BTW, 'Slash' was a WR position mostly, with a few plays under center. If we already have a great athlete at QB, then I don't see Bilbo having to lineup that much behind center. That's the whole reason Kordell every once in a while lined up center, so the Defense would have something it didn't expect from neil O'Donnell. I think the defenses will be preparing for a running QB with all our QB's except Suggs or Camp.

Originally posted by BeerNutts:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Father WASP:

More slashing.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thank goodness O'Brien isn't here to call the QB draw ehh Wasp? BTW, 'Slash' was a WR position mostly, with a few plays under center. If we already have a great athlete at QB, then I don't see Bilbo having to lineup that much behind center. That's the whole reason Kordell every once in a while lined up center, so the Defense would have something it didn't expect from neil O'Donnell. I think the defenses will be preparing for a running QB with all our QB's except Suggs or Camp.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good points, nutts on having a great athlete at QB.. Only way I see Bilbo lining up at QB is if for some reason the want Ball to run a route with his 4.45 speed or if Bilbo has a better arm for a hail mary...

Another Angle on this: Lets suppose Ball is a keeper at QB..He has 4 years starring at QB..Who is the backup?? I for one dont see Pat Carter staying at QB..Not for 4 years anyway..he is too good of an athlete to be on the bench..He could very well be a stud reciever..So Bilbo plays the Slash/wr role but Bilbo COULD fill in at qb if Ball went down..Of course i think A.J. fills the backup role this year..just some thoughts..If Chan keeps bringing in Athletes like Ball,Carter,Grant,Scott every year we will be in EXCELLENT shape......

If you will remember, the original first few games that Kordell ran from the "slash" position, he would take end around handoffs from the quarterback and then occasionally throw it downfield. Almost every play had him in motion coming behind the quarterback...and because of his size, he presented matchup problems if they tried to have a cornerback trail him. Then, they started putting him under center when they would get in the red zone...he would run options or pass...because of his size, he could run over cornerbacks and the occasional linebacker.

Actually, I think that Bilbo would present very similar problems to a defense if used in a similar role. Here's hoping he stays.

Originally posted by Father WASP:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Maybe he just told him that to keep him from transferring. What nobody knows here is the effect that this decision had on the team? From what I saw last year, the offense seemed to "pick it up" when Bilbo came into the game. While he may not have been getting it done on the field at QB during summer practice, that is not to say he had not developed into a leader. If your leader transfers because it appears he was run off by the coach, the effects could be devastating. Now I am not saying this happened, just pointing out what could be a factor in Gailey's decision and what he tells Bilbo. Remember, he is starting to catch on to this college stuff and how 19 year olds think.

As to the "Slash" stuff, to me it was just a gimmick that Gailey used to keep Stewart happy. I credit Kordell for rising above it and becoming an NFL starter. If Bilbo can be effective as a wide receiver, then by all means put him out there, just don't use him as a decoy on every play.

Most of this will pan out in the first four games. If we perform well, the players will rally around Gailey's decisions and play confidently. If not, the QB position is the one high profile decision that tends to get people inside and outside of the program out of sorts. In other words, dissension ala Bill Lewis, part II. Time will tell.

What none of us know is who the players think the best QB is. If they like Bilbo but believe Ball is gives them the best chance to win there will be no dissension IMO. If they really think Bilbo is the better QB that's where problems can occur. That's the situation we were in during the Lewis years according to those in the know. The players felt Davis was the best QB but Lewis played his guy.

But of course!!! Chan Gailey, for those that don't know, is a fine man and a great football coach with tons and tons of credible experience.
All is well.

Not unusual for a new coach to want to play the guys he recruited.. Those are the guys he had to make personal promises to so they would accept his scholarship offer.. Upperclassmen oftentimes feel estranged by this arrangement, the ones who are pushed aside developing marginal attitudes.. This is where gailey will earn his keep during the transition time of getting the most out of the leftovers, & keeping them motivated while at the same time pushing them aside to play "his" guys... Like working a new girlfriend in the front door while sliding the ex out the back.. Dicey stuff which requires many stiff
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Does anyone get the idea the only reason this was posted was to attempt to cast more of a cloud on Gailey to further the agenda by the core group?

Guess what, if Gailey performs well this year, your agenda is dead in the water. Gailey will then be here for a long time and you will also not be able to get rid of Braine until he retires.

You might just be treading water!

Father Time

ahso - did you ever think about discussing the posts instead of the posters?

Two remarks. My last post was in response to BeeBads post, not Big Bucks.

Dave Tech, nope! I am pretty sure, I know the reason it was posted.

Father Time

I just want to make a couple of things clear to those who have not been at practice:

1. The QB position was not just handed to Reggie Ball. He literally rose from the bottom of the deph chart to the top based on his performance. He has clearly differentiated himself from the pack.

2. Bilbo is probably our second best QB, but is only slightly better than Suggs or Carter and not nearly as good as Ball.

Coach Gailey is doing the team and Bilbo a favor by moving him to another position IMO. Bilbo is an exceptional athelete that could contribute immediately at another postion. It does not make sense to keep him on the sidelines signaling in plays just in case Ball gets hurt. In addition, I think that Bilbo could potentially play at the next level at another position, but lacks the field vision to play QB in the NFL. I bet this is what Gailey is telling him as well. I believe Coach Gailey is doing right by the team and Bilbo in this situation and people who think otherwise are basing their opinions on the perception created by the media.

The artist formerly known as cbre.

I think the "Slash" remark is being taken way, way out of context. Damarius isn't going to be lining up at WR one play or set of downs and then at QB. The reference is that he's capable of being plugged into many slots IF NEEDED. I wonder if he can kick?

Back