Gailey says #1 priority is "get more physical"

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
U have to internet search to get fine GT articles, like this one from the Savannah paper. Gailey says we need to be "tougher mentally & physically". Hollings may participate in some Spring drills, which would be quite a lift for everyone associated with GT. Pretty good read:

Gailey says "get tougher"

Thanks to Mr. Murphy for an informative article.
smile.gif

A long and lusty "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" to the Atlanta Urinal Constipation for their crappy and half-hearted coverage and beef-headed journalism.
Thanks alot.
mad.gif

AJC to busy kissing UGA's butt and predicting nat'l championships. It shouldn't be to hard to pucker up to UGA's hindend since the stupid mutt likes to show his best side to the camera.

Whoa now! There was outstanding GT coverage in the garbage wrapper today. Tommy Tumb *ucker took his shots at GT comparing UGA's ACC wins to GT;'s, how in only 4 games, Hollings exceeded all other GT RBs' stats, the ususal vent put downs and on the page listing college basketball teams there were two fine lines about GT vs Maryland.
They were the list of ACC women schools:
GT ..... plays Maryland today
Maryland ...... plays GT today.
Now come on, how can we expect more than that?

What, nothing about the coaches execpt they made decisions they thought was right when they made them! I can't find anything worth my time reading this. Maybe the AJC did not print any articles today on Jacket football because its impossible to find anything worth reporting from a program moving at a glaciers speed. Sorry, but thats the way I feel

Stateline - My comments about AJC coverage was not just limited to GT football, but I can understand how you feel!

He is saying all the right things lets see if he practices what he is preaching !
buzz_sting.gif

I most certainly did not mean to offend anyone. I just see it this way: Gailey needs to make himself and his assistants more visible. Then we could see more coverage. I believe Gailey does not allow interviews with his assistants. What is he afraid of? That they will give away our imaginative gameplans? The players may need more time in the weight room but whose fault is that? Remember during the O'leary-Fridge years there was stories about how we compared with Florida State and the strides we was making towards catching up. It was enjoyable reading when I saw the Jackets had closed the gap to where we was very close to them. Sorry to be wandering all over the place with my post but with George the future was bright. But is it now? Again I did not mean to offend anyone. It is just how I feel.

Just curious why you feld\t the future was bright with George after the '01 season? We were still going to go into this year with no QB, no RB, etc. after underachieving for a year. If he had coached the Seattle Bowl there is no telling what we would have done, but if it had looked like our last 2-3 games of the regular season I don't think we would have beaten Seattle. Just wondering?

I don't think O'leary would not have went into the new season without makings some changes. O'leary had made to many positive contributions to Georgia Tech for me not to have faith in him. Sure as rain he missed the Fridge by his side. But I believe he would have recognized this and would have made changes. As to where is anyones guess, staff changes or to his own way of managing his staff by giving BOB and Roof more room. Who knows. I do believe he is responsible for bringing Tech football back to life and as disappointed as I was at our 2001 performance I would have considered it a fluke and looked forward to 2002. A driving force in the stadium renovation and expansion I do think it is time for Tech alums and Tech fans in general to recognize his positve contributions and not focus so much on the negative.

Wasn't trying to be negative, I liked George. Just don't know that my expectations would have been much different and don't think our outcome would have been too different either. I think we were limited at QB and RB (after Hollings injury, and question whether George would have given him a shot or whether he would have asked) and our annual trouble with physical teams would have hurt us anyway.

I don't think the record would have been any different with GOL in '02 but I doubt we would been beaten by Ga by 44.

Thanks Ace. Good article. Looks as though Gailey is headed in the right direction.

Nice to hear something from the GT football world. That is a pretty good read.

Although Brian Murphy is no Joe Person(sp) when he was with the Macon Telegraph, Brian has done some good articles on Tech this year.

Good read indeed. You don't have to read between the lines too much to see changes coming in the strength coaching area.

I think we need to give our man Ace some credit for finding an article about Gailey. I'll bet they'll meet today to tighten up security after laying out the Savannah paper and asking how this could have happened. Quotations? I'm shocked.

Let's keep each other informed about the next Gailey sighting.

LOL, FW. That was funny. Let's actually look at some of these quotes & ask ourselves HOW?
Gailey says "we've got to get tougher mentally & physically in every aspect of the game & at every position". How does he plan to do this? A great unasked question. Will he changed Strength & Conditioning methods or change S & C personel or change time devouted to S & C? What will he do, if anything?
Coach O'Brien says "we must find a QB that can make plays". How? Will he find him under a patch of sod? Does he hope to 'find' a Vick in the incoming Frosh? Will he keep bringing in QBs (recruits & transfers), til he 'finds' one?
A better statement would have been 'I've got to develope a QB who can make plays'. Why doesn't he shoulder some responsibility for NOT helping a QB win games & learn how to make plays, a la Godsey? Is O'Brien helping them get tougher mentally & physically & how is he doing this? Will O'B change his style, since nothing has worked for him in 2 yrs?
To me, it's some of the Coaching Staff that needs to get better 'mentally & physically'. They've got 10 months to get it going.

Good questions Ace. If Gailey has been in football for over 30 years, I'm wondering what he was thinking as our new coach going into spring last year. Don't you think he would be asking himself "does the strength & conditioning program I'm observing need improving or is good enough to leave well enough alone? Are the players physical enough in the workouts I'm watching? What do we need to do to develop a QB who can make plays?" and so on and so on.

Instead, it's as if it was let's tee it up and just see what happens. 51-7 is what happened.

To top it off, Gailey should realize that it is part of his job to promote and bring people together. Instead, we get the silent treatment. This ends up giving some die-hard football fans nothing in the way of information, so the speculation just runs rampant.

Most coaching changes result in the new guy taking that brief little window of opportunity to bring a few new things in to elevate the enthusiasm. Now the first year has produced nothing but doubts which will fester into turmoil if we kick off the way we left off.

My belief is that if you love Georgia Tech, and realize that you are the one person at the top of the pyramid, your enthusiasm would bubble over, and not have to be faked. It is one thing to have a low-key personality, quite another to have working policies containing gag orders.

I keep waiting for the wake-up call to hit, you know, like 51-7 didnt get any attention and losing to Fresno didnt get any either. He is obviously falling into the same trap O'leary did - circle the wagons, everybody is against us, etc. Good grief, man, state the obvious - you came in over your head, you got waxed, your sorry and are taking some bold steps to insure it never happens again and here is what they are, etc. Even us who have raised some questions will rally around a coach who is trying and asking for some support. It is hard to support a program who appears to be blowing you off.

You can either meet the problems head on and ask for people's support or have a pity party and walk around clueless. Not much in between as far as choices go. Sorry for the rambling answer Ace but I am sick of the bunker mentality at the AA.

Back