Gailey should resign and Tom Coughlin brought in

3518techie

Varsity Lurker
I know it will be argued that it's up to the SA's for their school work. However, a coach has to be involved in the academic arena. There have been enough disturbing posts about lax standards to see this is more than just rumor-mongering. It's one thing to lose 1 or 2 players. That will happen to even the most involved coach. However losing 8 with the possiblity of even more is ridiculous. Gailey should resign and if he won't he should be fired. There is a coach out there who is available who is just what Tech needs. His name is Tom Coughlin. Coughlin turned around the B.C. program. After a 4-7 start, he went 8-3-1 and 9-3. He upset #1 Notre Dame in 1993 and hung tough against #1 Miami losing 19-14 in 1991. Coughlin is also a disciplinarian. Kids will be in class under Coughlin. There are indications that after his stint in the NFL, he wants to get back into the college game. Also, Coughlin ran an wide-open offense in Jacksonville which I believe would be a good fit for Bilbo. 2003 is pretty much shot if the other names are who have been posted. Bring in Coughlin and let's start to rebuild.

I could not agree with you more! Ever since CG appeared on campus, there has been a cloud over the program. It would appear that a lack of discipline can account for many of our problems.

DISGUSTING!!

A thread calling for the ousting of Gailey.

Help me, I'm drowning in originality.

The Jacket, the main point about my post was not about getting rid of Gailey. Unless he's a miracle worker, he is gone whether it's in 2003 or 2004. The main point of my post was Tech has an unique chance to bring in a terrific coach in Tom Coughlin. You may be satisfied in battling Duke for last place in the ACC but I want to aim a little higher.

Amen Brother!! Coughlin would be good. I also like McWhorter and O'Leary. They are out there, let's go get'em. I think the world of Chan Gailey but this is not the job for him.

South Georgia Jacket

Originally posted by 3518techie:
The Jacket, the main point about my post was not about getting rid of Gailey. Unless he's a miracle worker, he is gone whether it's in 2003 or 2004. The main point of my post was Tech has an unique chance to bring in a terrific coach in Tom Coughlin. You may be satisfied in battling Duke for last place in the ACC but I want to aim a little higher.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">*sighs* You've yet to prove that Gailey will undoubtedly fail.

1st off let me say I'm not out for CG's scalp but if it turns out that CG did not do his job in respect to the SA's involved then his days at Ma Tech must be looked at and looked at hard.

Jacket you are correct and that time may never come. We do not have any info as to what happened and we may never know. I just hope someone either, CG, DB or the pres. comes forward and tells the truth about the situtation.

Thats a great suggestion 3518, Coughlin is one of the top coaches available now. However is so good that he wont be on the open market long. You, me and everyone else are going to have to endure "shock and awe" this season. For some, like our rednecked brothers from UGA, it will be another laugher. For others, like Friedgen and Bowden, just another body to kick sand in the face. This misery is part of a cycle - and at Tech it must run its course two to three times as long as it does it most schools because of apathy and blindness. Heck, even our own coach and athletic department disregard their fans so why should they care passionately about football. Eventually, like when Pepper was bounced around by Purdue in the Peach and Bill Lewis's players practically walked off the field, a change will be made. In the meantime? If you enjoyed that fine afternoon in Athens last year get ready for more. Then, someone like Coughlin will be hired to come in and clean up this mess.

coughlin would be fine, also so would jimmy robinson, he knows the tech academic situation.also dave braine should go also.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Thats a great suggestion 3518, Coughlin is one of the top coaches available now. However is so good that he wont be on the open market long. You, me and everyone else are going to have to endure "shock and awe" this season. For some, like our rednecked brothers from UGA, it will be another laugher. For others, like Friedgen and Bowden, just another body to kick sand in the face. This misery is part of a cycle - and at Tech it must run its course two to three times as long as it does it most schools because of apathy and blindness. Heck, even our own coach and athletic department disregard their fans so why should they care passionately about football. Eventually, like when Pepper was bounced around by Purdue in the Peach and Bill Lewis's players practically walked off the field, a change will be made. In the meantime? If you enjoyed that fine afternoon in Athens last year get ready for more. Then, someone like Coughlin will be hired to come in and clean up this mess.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wasp: How ironic this discussion is!!! Not knowing what was going to happen in Tech's future with this coach - because I'm a BC person, just 2 weeks ago I sent an email to DB about Tom Coughlin being out there!! Just an FYI email. Nothing detailed - just want you to know.

He is EXACTLY WHAT EVERYONE SAYS HE IS and would be a great fit for Tech. BC's standards are very high and he took BC into national prominence and the kids went to class, came to practice and followed all the rules. He was/is a strict disciplinarian, an excellent x's and o's coach, and extremely organized and detailed and you can talk to him - he relates to fans, media and the community very well.

I was sooooo disappointed when he left BC for Jacksonville! So was everyone at BC - very similar to the situation here when Bobby Ross left for San Diego. This is a no nonsense get the house in order, successful coach on the Div. 1 level and at Jacksonville. I personally think he's better in the college game.

I agree though - he won't be out there long. I know his name came up for Alabama but they decided to stay with a former AL player and he never interviewed. I won't be long - he won't be on the market.

The other issue surrounding both Coughlin and Robinson is that Jesse Jackson will intervene to insist on a minority hire, which neither are. He got his PR guys in late on Bama, but Tech will hit is radar screen as a place to picket with it's location in Atlanta.

MS while that is a good suggestion, you emailed the wrong person as Dave Braine should be the one we are looking to replace. This is a failure of the AA to support the kids in their academics. Why did Tech have no advisor for football for so long? While Gailey can be blamed for being clueless to how college academics works (seems to be a common state for him) it is the AD's job to set up the department. He failed AGAIN. Just one in a long list of failures by this AD.

The man who is out there and is needed is Bill Curry. A Tech man of integrity that understands the business and academic side of college athletics. His hiring as AD would make a statement to donors, alumni and fans that Tech is going to win and do it right.

MsTechAnalysis, you just pegged yourself again into the same file I had placed you earlier.

You just stated that you sent a letter to Braine about Coughlin being out there. This was before the SA grade failures were known. This proves you were trying to get rid of Gailey behind the scenes even before this came up.

It is evident, I pegged you correctly. It is evident you were trying to oust Gailey before the season even starts, or he has a chance to prove himself.

Were you afraid he would be successful this year and prove BOB was part of the problem?

All the time on the board, you were giving the impression you were willing to give Gailey a chance. "Hiss, forked tongue".

rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
MsTechAnalysis, you just pegged yourself again into the same file I had placed you earlier.

You just stated that you sent a letter to Braine about Coughlin being out there. This was before the SA grade failures were known. This proves you were trying to get rid of Gailey behind the scenes even before this came up.

It is evident, I pegged you correctly. It is evident you were trying to oust Gailey before the season even starts, or he has a chance to prove himself.

Were you afraid he would be successful this year and prove BOB was part of the problem?

All the time on the board, you were giving the impression you were willing to give Gailey a chance. "Hiss, forked tongue".

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The opportunity to look down the road if and when this non-coach didn't make it was why I did what I did. Hey Tech - just want you to know. I also believe with all that I know about what Coach Couglin did for my school and how he conducts the business of being a Head Coach in Div. 1 - it was a no brainer for me to email someone at Tech. Tom Coughlin would coach circles around what we currently have!

You already managed to categorize us which makes me all the more adamant to give my opinions - if you can so can I. I don't expect now or in the future that we would EVER agree on Chan Gailey!

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The opportunity to look down the road if and when this non-coach didn't make it was why I did what I did. Hey Tech - just want you to know. I also believe with all that I know about what Coach Couglin did for my school and how he conducts the business of being a Head Coach in Div. 1 - it was a no brainer for me to email someone at Tech. Tom Coughlin would coach circles around what we currently have!

You already managed to categorize us which makes me all the more adamant to give my opinions - if you can so can I. I don't expect now or in the future that we would EVER agree on Chan Gailey!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">PS - if you would have read my post correctly - I sent an email and it was not a letter and it was a thought for them to contemplate as our football team wallows into oblivion!!!

Back