Gailey will return

Belly, interesting comparison between Vick and Staubach. Question, was Staubach as big physically as Vick?

Originally posted by GMC 68:
Belly, interesting comparison between Vick and Staubach. Question, was Staubach as big physically as Vick?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Before looking it up, my recollection is that he was pretty good size for his day, but not as big as Vick. In the early '60's, 220 was a big weight for most any position.

IIRC, Roger Staubach completed his four years at the Navel Academy, a four year active duty tour then entered the NFL with the Cowboys who drafted him out of the academy.

In comparison, Mike Vick left VT after his sophomore season.

Different times, different value sets.

Belly,

I think you have a good point about "players winning games". Myself, I might put a little more blame and credit on the coaches than you. But in the end, you need the talent on the field...and you need it to execute.

For example, if we even had average QB play this year(not great, but just average), we'd have beaten FSU East and FSU West. To me, that's an unassailable fact. OTOH, you could probably put alot of blame on BOB for calling so many passes against the 2 FSU's, given our sorry QB situation.

It's a mixture of coaching and playing, IMO. Overall, getting talented players is the key. But you still have to coach them up and call plays that utilize their strengths.

I'm more concerned about the QB position than
anything else. With marginally decent QB play
GT was a 9 win team this past season...

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
I'm more concerned about the QB position than
anything else. With marginally decent QB play
GT was a 9 win team this past season...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Make that "marginally decent passing game" and I agree. QB play was not good, but there were a lot of drops too.

Originally posted by bugboy:

I
For example, if we even had average QB play this year(not great, but just average), we'd have beaten FSU East and FSU West. To me, that's an unassailable fact. OTOH, you could probably put alot of blame on BOB for calling so many passes against the 2 FSU's, given our sorry QB situation.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree, but we did have a RB situation limiting what we might do, esp. at FSUW

Some of you guys are better than I at keeping track of the game details.

How many times did we throw over the middle vs sidelines passes?

How many passes were to a back out of the backfield?

How many to the tight end?

I recall very few, the actual stats may confirm or refute my memory.

IIRC, most of our passes were 8 to 20 yard side line routes.

I don't know how many times it happened but it sure seemed like a lot of passes were throw to a WR in the flats when he was within one yard of the line of scrimmage. This seemed to be especially true when we would need 8 to 10 yards for a first down. It never worked.

Thanks for the information. That is pretty amazing. Vick looks so much larger that Staubach. I had not thought of comparing the two but there are definitley some similarties especially when scrambling.

Back