Gailey will return

Good points GMC. But Belly, there is such a thing we can ALL agree on, and that is improvement from beginning to end. This team did not get better from the beginning of the season to end, and all of it is not Suggs or Bilbo's fault - it is called development and this staff did not do it.

Coaching vs. players. Ralph friggin Friedgen and FIRST year at MD. Any more input req'd for the learning impaired? THWG

Belly,
You make good points but in football ,especially college ,coaching IS THE DECISIVE FACTOR.He recruits,he directs the asst coaches,the approves all moves,and makes game decisions.In fact football is the only game that REALLY needs a coach to play the game at a high degree/level.Think about it.Baseball,basketball,track,golf,hockey etc could actually go out and play fairly well with no coach.The head coach is the difference in the quality of play.
You keep making the point about AJ was the one throwing the int at the half.WHO CALLED THE PLAY?Trying to pass against a prevent pass defense with a QB that can't pass deep well( when it is a surprise )from his own 25 with the lead!The coach put him if that play.Unbelievable.
I'll give him credit for NCST and Va but he gets UGa and the bowl game.Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the whole off-season , not to mention lots of questions.

Good comments NCJacket:

Following your thoughts, wouldn't good coaches also have the ability to spot playmakers, above and beyond just good athletics?

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Good points GMC. But Belly, there is such a thing we can ALL agree on, and that is improvement from beginning to end. This team did not get better from the beginning of the season to end, and all of it is not Suggs or Bilbo's fault - it is called development and this staff did not do it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We certainly can agree that improvement over a season is a positive sign, but I don't think it's a necessary sign of good coaching. Other stuff can happen.

This year, Tenn, Iowa State, South Carolina, ND and I'm sure we could think of others, regressed over the season. This isn't NECESSARILY a coaching failure. In our case we not only had sub-par QBing, we ran out of running backs, etc.
You know, last night's Packers-Falcons game, the Iowa-USC game, to mention 2, show that in football sometimes the best teams get their butts kicked, regardless of coaching OR players. It's a sport. Things happen from contest to contest, from season to season, that can't be controlled or predicted. I'm surprised that we don't agree that you don't fire a coach after one season. One WINNING season.

Originally posted by GoldZ:
Coaching vs. players. Ralph friggin Friedgen and FIRST year at MD. Any more input req'd for the learning impaired? THWG
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Fine. For everyone who thinks football is primarily about coaching instead of people playing a game, I propose that you watch coaches next year (Friedgen and Amato in partiular are easy to spot, and thrilling to look at), and the rest of us will watch the actual games.. At halftime, you can watch a couple of guys play checkers.

Actually I think what Fridge's first year at MD shows is a couple of things. First, we all knew he was a good coach. Second, they had players that the previous coaches either didn't recognize or couldn't put in the right position. Both points support the conclusion that Ralph is a good coach. But there were also good players (and play makers) at MD that we didn't know about. If Ralph didn't have the talent to win he wouldn't have...period.

BTW who the hell are you calling learning impaired?

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Actually I think what Fridge's first year at MD shows is a couple of things. First, we all knew he was a good coach. Second, they had players that the previous coaches either didn't recognize or couldn't put in the right position. Both points support the conclusion that Ralph is a good coach. But there were also good players (and play makers) at MD that we didn't know about. If Ralph didn't have the talent to win he wouldn't have...period.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCJacket, you just proved our point. Fridge had the players with the talent to win. He realized they weren't being used and corrected that problem. He then motivated the whole team to play to their limits.

We used the same unmotivated players all year.

Originally posted by GMC 68:

We used the same unmotivated players all year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Forgive me, GMC, but this sentence is meaningless.
We played 4 guys at QB.
We played new RBs until we ran out.
We played back-ups for injured 1st-stringers.
Who, exactly, was "unmotivated"?

We played our starting QB 90% or more. Out of the total number of snaps this year how many did the other three take? I don't have the numbers but I would estimate less than 10%.

I stand corrected on the RB issue. Once Hollings was hurt there was never a clear RB choice. Not sure if that was good or bad.

My point exactly, the only time a back up saw playing time was due to any injury to a starter. A starter was not removed for poor play. For example early in the year we had a lineman move early on 3 out of 4 plays. Did he come out of the game no. Under Bobby (Dodd or Ross) he would have been in the showers. A certain cornerback was beaten all year but never substituted for. In the WF game he never came up and defended a short pass. Wake completed them at will always in front of the same player. No substitution.

The entire team was unmotivated. I don't say this lightly. It is my observation along with all the people sitting around me at BDS and the feeling of many of the post on this board. The only player I consistently saw excited about playing was Kelly Rhino. The others simply appeared to go through the motions.

My point was that we must not have been very deep. Is your point that our coaching staff decided against playing the players who would give us the best chance to win more games? If so, there is a great gulf fixed between our view of these coaches, or of any coaches.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
My point was that we must not have been very deep. Is your point that our coaching staff decided against playing the players who would give us the best chance to win more games? If so, there is a great gulf fixed between our view of these coaches, or of any coaches.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The coaches play the best players. Now a lot of fans feel they know more about it than the coaches and disagree with who should play obviously. Fans speculate without a lot of the knowledge coaches have. Not saying that coaches know all and fans don't.

There are enough coaches on this board and other boards to mastermind the greatest team ever in college sports. I'm sure they'd all be the best students and people as well.
wink.gif

It would be interesting to see how the technique of bashing would put a great product on the field and the classroom. Fans have that down pat. Oh yeah, I forgot. Bashing gets our coaches to do their best. Bashing is the ticket. I'm learning.
grin.gif

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
Terri, you're bashing the bashers...
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You think? Alrighty then. I'm bashing bashers then.
grin.gif

The entire team was unmotivated. I don't say this lightly. It is my observation along with all the people sitting around me at BDS and the feeling of many of the post on this board. The only player I consistently saw excited about playing was Kelly Rhino. The others simply appeared to go through the motions.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Our student-athletes are not stupid. Motivation comes from buying into what Coach Gailey and Co. are selling. The strategies of this staff had to be damn hard to buy into as the year went along. Just as O'learys last year was full of 2 point conversion blunders that had us all wondering what the heck was happening, motivation certainly disappered until MacWorter took over in the interm. Put it this way: Would you continue to purchase stocks on recommendations of your broker as you continued to loose money with his advice? I don't know if that is a good example but it is the best I can do for the moment. I would be surprised if there is not a lot of whispering going on between the players. The players absolutely have to buy into the coaches. As I see it the '72 Dolphins would not have won squat if they did not believe in Shula. Most likely they would have resembled the '02 Jackets.

And, by their logic, by bashing them you are making them better bashers!

You're a friend to mankind, GTTerr!

Well Belly, I could not get into Stingtalk yesterday for some reason. I have not had a chance until now to answer your questions.

Regarding Furman! They beat North Carolina 28-3 in 1999 after Mack Brown left. North Carolina had the same players, but Torbush could not beat Furman with them.

NCSU has a 4-8 all time record against Furman. NCSU lost 3 out of the last 4 games to Furman from 1976-1985. They dropped them from the schedule after 1985.

Now, on to the poor military teams! North Carolina lost 4 out of the last 5 games to Air Force between 1963-1969. North Carolina decided to drop Air Force. North Carolina and Navy are 5-5 all time. North Carolina was 3-2 in their last five games against Navy from 1984-1992. One was a 21-19 win. North Carolina dropped Navy after 1992.

Maryland is 5-14 all time against Navy. George Welsh (good coach) and Navy beat Maryland handily.

NCSU is 3-6 all time against Navy. NCSU is 7-11 all time against VMI. NCSU is only 11-8 all time against William and Mary.

Virginia is 3-5 all time against Army. They are 11-28 all time against Navy. George Welsh and Navy beat Virginia handily until Welse went to Virginia. Virginia and Welsh then beat Navy handily.

Duke is 12-16 against Navy. Duke was a powerhouse at one time when Wallace Wade coached them. They also won the conference and beat the other ACC teams regularly when Visor Boy was Duke's coach.

The new Ohio State coach has just won the National Championship for Division I. It seems he won either 2 out of the last 4, or 4 out of the last 6 (not sure) Division II National Championships at Youngstown State prior to comming to Ohio State.

The reason for having divisions is mostly economical, because the smaller schools have small stadiums, facilities, and fan bases. They do move up occasionally, but only after the school makes a commitment to expanding the facilities and the economics of playing in a higher classification.

Bowden lost to Richt, because Richt outcoached him. It would be stretching a point to say UGA has been outrecruiting FSU for years. FSU has the talent, but they have lost two outstanding assistants in Richt and Amato.

Bobby Bowden is getting old and losing the ability to think on his feet as quickly as he could when younger.

wink.gif

ahso, I'm talking about today's Army, not Blanchard and Davis days.

You know who Vick reminded me of last night? Staubach when he was at Navy. Roger was neither as quick or as fast, but he had that same incredible elusiveness.

I love the service teams. I just don't think the difference between them and Miami can be summed up as "coaching".

There was a long period yesterday when I couldn't get on either. Glad we're both back.

ahsoisee, nice post you made in the MR Prayer on the off topic section.

bellyseries,

I am a great fan of Roger the dodger. He goes back to the days when the quarterback was the coach on the field.

Back