Gailey's real problem is ...

Big Bubba Ray

Dodd-Like
Gailey\'s real problem is ...

... comprehending the situation he's in, regarding the maturity levels of his team.

CG complained about lack of motivation against Ugag and other teams this year. Here's what Gailey needs to get through his head:

These are not pros. These are college kids.

The talent and maturity level between (most) college kids and NFL players is huge, probably bigger that that between high school and Div. 1 college (in most cases, not all).

I've definitely notice a more NFL mindset on the Tech sidelines this year. This ranges from playing a very bland, "safe" game to expecting players to motivate themselves. True, some college players can get themselves into a frame of mind and shape up during the course of the game without too much input from the coach. These players are usually the standout players on the team who eventually end up in the NFL.

Gailey said it himself before the season started that he had forgotten how young the players were. Well, I don't think he's quite made the transition from the NFL mindset to the Div. 1 mindset, yet. He's used to dealing with players playing the game for money, not school pride or as a means to get an education, or even trying to achieve the maturity it takes to get to the NFL.

At least O'Leary was highly involved in his player's lives - kind of a transitional father-figure. Not to mention the fact that O'Leary is a strict disciplinarian. I'm not seeing that kind of behavior from Chan. Maybe his fault is he's treating the players like mature adults and they're not handling it too well.

Of course I could be completely wrong. I'm a computer geek, not a psychologist.

BBR

Re: Gailey\'s real problem is ...

Not to mention the fact that O'Leary is a strict disciplinarian. I'm not seeing that kind of behavior from Chan. Maybe his fault is he's treating the players like mature adults and they're not handling it too well.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I remember at the beginning of the season, particularly after fan day, that many fonts were saying that the "less discipline" approach--treating the boys more like men, letting them discipline themselves, wearing braids and earrings, wearing hats sideways, etc--would be a good thing. It was noted that the players seemed to be having much more fun goofing around at fan day as well as having more fun at the more relaxed practices. The days of the strict disciplinarian were over.

I was concerned about it (though I can't prove it because I was but a lurker then,) and I think it is an issue which must be dealt with. The problem is that it is a personality characteristic, even more a philosophical attitude that a coach reveals from the beginning. The extrememe difficulty is changing the approach midstream. To try to establish a more disciplined program now will cause resentment, rebellion, factions, and overall chaos. If you think things resemble the lewis era now, you would be really hurting then.

I don't know if this is why things went as they did this year. I have my opinions, but they are just that--opinions.

The question is can CCG fix the problem without causing the above mentioned reactions.

Big Bubba Ray, I am not sure this is the biggest problem with the team, but your remarks certainly have merit.

smile.gif

My hunch is Gailey bought into the Bobby Dodd philosophy, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that - that if you treat young men with respect they will go through the wall for you. Unfortunately, Dodd coached kids in an era where they brought some degree of self-discipline and respect with them from their families when they arrived on campus. Today's athletes are spoiled wrotten and have role models of trash talking "it's all about me" mentality. In short, I think you do need to respect and treat with dignity the young men on your team. But you have to discipline even more than the old days or they will run rampant on you. I would suggest Coach Gailey completely reassess his approach since last spring and make needed changes if he is going to keep this job. He would be wise to follow some of the stuff Richt did - mat drills and early a.m. workouts to see who wants to play. Those who don't need to be run off. Otherwise, next season will be a disaster.

I agree totally. I also believe he will make the necessary changes personally and coaches and players to make this program a success.

Dicipline without leadership (O'Leary's problem without the Fridge around) is not worth a hill of beans. Leadership (plus someone who can develope a Quarterback) is what is missing in my opinion because dicipline alone will not bring the best out in a player in the classroon, weightroom or out on the field.

More interesting that seeing how the players bounce back from whuppin' is to see how or if CG bounces back and realizes what's needed to be done. He may realize that the job is more work that he bargained for.

agree busybee but I'm afraid if he does some soul searching and determines this isn't what he bargained for he may stay around another year just because there is nowhere else to go.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
agree busybee but I'm afraid if he does some soul searching and determines this isn't what he bargained for he may stay around another year just because there is nowhere else to go.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">FW,
You are correct. Even though the semi-retirement has been much rockier than he anticipated, it is very unlikely that he will do the honorable thing and resign. It is more likely that he will be ride this gravy train into the ground.
It will take many years to recover from this....if it is possible to recover.

Back