Gailey's true test

Mark

Varsity Lurker
Gailey\'s true test

will be keeping Tech mentally tough this year. IF we are 0-4 in a few weeks (I pray for a few breaks and continued improvement from an impressive Reggie Ball), it could be a very long season.
If Gailey can keep these kids focused and keep morale up, even with an 0-4 start we could salvage a respectable season.

I was impressed with what I saw last night, all things considered. We are thin, but if we can get a running game going and keep the defense rested, we have the potential to turn some heads.

Re: Gailey\'s true test

Good Post.

I don't know about you, but I'm counting on a win over Clemson. I don't think 0-4 will happen. IMO, 1-3 is likely.

O'wise, I agree with you. No matter what happens in the next 3 games, we need to stay focused. All games are winnable, IMO, especially after we're done with Auburn/FSU.

"an impressive Reggie Ball"??? No TD passes, two interceptions (one called back), botching our scoring drive on the one...all of this with a few decent passes thrown in. That is not impressive.

It took heat off of Gailey bc people seem to be more forgiving of this LOSS bc he's a freshman. I think Gailey knew this would be the case. So, maybe he isn't as dumb as I thought as that is good idea for him.

We've lost three straight...soon to maybe have a seven game losing streak going.

Gotta love the direction of our program.

But let's not talk about that...let's talk about the few good passes Ball had...geez.

i just worry about losing dl's or lb's against a physical team like au.

I don't think our secondary can stop Clemson's LARGE stash of stud WR's... because Whitehurst may have all day to throw if the line doesn't get any pressure on him.

Originally posted by GTFan824:
I don't think our secondary can stop Clemson's LARGE stash of stud WR's... because Whitehurst may have all day to throw if the line doesn't get any pressure on him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Alot of their WR's look good on paper...but they drop passes alot. I think their WR's are overrated.

Originally posted by GeeTee:
"an impressive Reggie Ball"??? No TD passes, two interceptions (one called back), botching our scoring drive on the one...all of this with a few decent passes thrown in. That is not impressive.

It took heat off of Gailey bc people seem to be more forgiving of this LOSS bc he's a freshman. I think Gailey knew this would be the case. So, maybe he isn't as dumb as I thought as that is good idea for him.

We've lost three straight...soon to maybe have a seven game losing streak going.

Gotta love the direction of our program.

But let's not talk about that...let's talk about the few good passes Ball had...geez.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Get off the kid's back. He played a great game, especially for a true frosh. To deny that is to show your ignorance. Maybe you need this:
0764550543.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Please read Mark's post and stay with the subject. Talk about HighJack...wheew!!!!!So what's new????

Gee Tee...I disagree.
Though Ball did throw 1 really stupid pass which was intercepted, I thought he played exceptionally well....considering.....
The last game he played was in front of a few thousand fans in a high school game. He has had a month to get a game plan down, had to contend with 60,000 BYU fans and was on National TV.

Ball showed confidence and poise. 2 fumbles were made by recievers after he threw for first downs.
He was far from perfect, but had a very respectable showing.

Originally posted by Mark:
Gee Tee...I disagree.
Though Ball did throw 1 really stupid pass which was intercepted, I thought he played exceptionally well
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Honestly, I don't think that was a stupid pass so much as it was a busted route. He put it where he wanted it to go - there was supposed to be a jacket there.

Originally posted by wggjacket:
i just worry about losing dl's or lb's against a physical team like au.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good post! And Auburn is the first of many down this road.

Texstinger...Being that we lost all these Dlineman are you going to suit up for the awbern game??

Just for one play I pray. They can take me to crematorium with a smile on my face. But I expect to win that one play.

There are two things that are recurring that bother me about Gailey's GAMEPLAN. First, he or his staff has not made either game time or halftime adjustments. Secondly,by his own words he doesn't allow his qb's to check off at the line of scrimmage. Any team will have to be overpowering to overcome this disadvantage. I remember Joe Hamilton telling about how Friedgen made him understand the game of football by inquiring of him why he chose a particular receiver even though he had thrown a completion for a sizable gain. He said that Ralph would point out other receivers that was open and he wanted Joe to understand the game to the extent that he could make the right judgment when Joe had more than one receiver open. I heard little Joe say that he audibled 70% of the time during his junior and senior years. No coach is smart enough to call the right plays all the time and when you won't allow your qb to check off to another play this will handcuff your team by wasting too many downs without any good reason.
Chan made the remarks on his show last year that if the coaching staff changed the game plan at half time that this would cause his team to lose confidence in the coaches game plan. I can't agree with his logic because these kids are not dummies as most were coached by good high school coaches that taught the kids the value of making adjustments to counter what the opponent was doing whether offensively or defensively. This makes me wonder if Chan and his staff is willing to teach his QB's the game of football so as to give us this advantage of not wasting downs. I guess only time will tell but Chan is fourteen games into his Tech career and I didn't see anything in the BYU game to lead me to think any adjustments were made on either side of the ball.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
There are two things that are recurring that bother me about Gailey's GAMEPLAN. First, he or his staff has not made either game time or halftime adjustments. Secondly,by his own words he doesn't allow his qb's to check off at the line of scrimmage. Any team will have to be overpowering to overcome this disadvantage. I remember Joe Hamilton telling about how Friedgen made him understand the game of football by inquiring of him why he chose a particular receiver even though he had thrown a completion for a sizable gain. He said that Ralph would point out other receivers that was open and he wanted Joe to understand the game to the extent that he could make the right judgment when Joe had more than one receiver open. I heard little Joe say that he audibled 70% of the time during his junior and senior years. No coach is smart enough to call the right plays all the time and when you won't allow your qb to check off to another play this will handcuff your team by wasting too many downs without any good reason.
Chan made the remarks on his show last year that if the coaching staff changed the game plan at half time that this would cause his team to lose confidence in the coaches game plan. I can't agree with his logic because these kids are not dummies as most were coached by good high school coaches that taught the kids the value of making adjustments to counter what the opponent was doing whether offensively or defensively. This makes me wonder if Chan and his staff is willing to teach his QB's the game of football so as to give us this advantage of not wasting downs. I guess only time will tell but Chan is fourteen games into his Tech career and I didn't see anything in the BYU game to lead me to think any adjustments were made on either side of the ball.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Excellent post. But be careful in articulating any well-thought-out criticism against CG. The CG police will call you all sorts of names.

I must admit, before the BYU game, I thought it was too soon to criticize a coach for last year's problems. But based on the BYU game, CG needs to make some adjustments this year or we will really be hurting for wins. I hope CG is smarter than all these blind-faith CG supporters.

One thing that really does seem strange, and I noticed it last year, is that players just seem to disappear. Like Dixon last year. Guys you hear about but never see in a game. Ever notice that?

Ball shall get better, and better, and soon if not sooner shall PREVAIL!!!!!!!!! This kid is real!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Jack_it:
[Excellent post. But be careful in articulating any well-thought-out criticism against CG. The CG police will call you all sorts of names.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Never mind. I was going to tell you that NO ONE on this board has EVER objected to "well-thought-out criticism" of any aspect of GT athletics. But some of you are so determined that someone is persecuting you for your views that I suppose it is kinder to let you enjoy your paranoia.

Belley(even if contrary to me) I would love and appreciate Your thoughts...........please proceed.

Back