Gary Patterson Is A Fool

When was Gailey's offense *not* stonewalled? Hell, we'd grind out 24 points against FCS, three yards at a time. 6 f-ing points against WF with Calvin Johnson on the field was amazing.

There was that one glorious bowl game against Syracuse. And the one against Tulsa in Boise where our center looked like he was just pushing a sled in summer camp.

And there was never a game against WF. It was called off due to lightening and WF was awarded the win since they hadn’t been to a bowl game for a longer period of time. Just like Northwestern back in the 90’s.

There was that one glorious bowl game against Syracuse. And the one against Tulsa in Boise where our center looked like he was just pushing a sled in summer camp.

And there was never a game against WF. It was called off due to lightening and WF was awarded the win since they hadn’t been to a bowl game for a longer period of time. Just like Northwestern back in the 90’s.

I always heard the game ended in a 6-6 tie and Wake won the tiebreaker to go to Orange Bowl because of their better 10-2-1 record.

Early on, nobody had an answer for the Johnson offense. I recall the 2010 UGA game, which Playstation-like. No defense on either side. 76 total points scored. UGA's Grantham would jam the inside to force to the perimeter, and Nesbitt would just exploit the perimeter. Then you'd see Grantham scramble to stop the pitch, and the dives would go for big yardage. I remember thinking, "This will expose every defense that isn't rock solid and lightning fast."

Now it seems defenses are coming with much more specialized plans and working a little bit at a time through the year on them, then, where possible, getting a BYE the week before Tech. I think in the ACC, Johnson is the Great Satan, no matter how the games actually come out. Nobody anywhere wants to play against Tech. But last year UGA had a consistent, every-play plan to fill the inside lanes and dedicate the fastest LB (R. Smith) to just run to the perimeter without having to make any read other than run left or run right. It worked well, but of course R. Smith was a Butkus winner.

Other 3O schools are evolving their offenses to keep ahead of the counter-scheming. Still some triple option but a little bit more multi-dimensional. No news to anybody that it's nice to be able to throw. Nesbitt could throw just enough to freeze the attack for an instant, and JT, about the same. But (my take) Johnson seems a little too committed to his original design, as if it's holy writ. It's brilliant but like any scheme, it needs to grow a little. I'm curious to see if he's going to add some significant wrinkles. He can always tear up average defenses with "the playbook in his head--look, no clipboard!", but he needs more answers when the competition is higher level.

I continue to think (right or wrong) that our problem the last couple years has a lot to do with not running the offense at peak efficiency. Not to take away from DCs who have a better handle on how to prepare or from mentally disciplined defenses but we are leaving a lot of first downs and points on the table by not executing and not making optimal decisions after the snap.

My primary interest in our first few games this year is to see if we can get the old magic back or if precision execution gives way to an over-reliance on athletic ability. Again.

I continue to think (right or wrong) that our problem the last couple years has a lot to do with not running the offense at peak efficiency. Not to take away from DCs who have a better handle on how to prepare or from mentally disciplined defenses but we are leaving a lot of first downs and points on the table by not executing and not making optimal decisions after the snap.

My primary interest in our first few games this year is to see if we can get the old magic back or if precision execution gives way to an over-reliance on athletic ability. Again.

[Triggered]

You just reminded me of drive killing penalties and turnovers.

Our problem the last couple of years, and every time we struggle, is the offensive line. Our QBs have all been good enough running the option. Our ABs and BBs have all been good enough. Our WRs have all been good enough.

Our problem the last couple of years, and every time we struggle, is the offensive line. Our QBs have all been good enough running the option. Our ABs and BBs have all been good enough. Our WRs have all been good enough.

I disagree. Last year our problem was the QB, not the OL. Once the defenses saw after a few games what the QB could do and what he could not do, we were toast. My hope for this year is that he has progressed in making his reads during the off season and hopefully his passing will improve as well. He certainly has the athletic tools to be very good.

When was Gailey's offense *not* stonewalled? Hell, we'd grind out 24 points against FCS, three yards at a time. 6 f-ing points against WF with Calvin Johnson on the field was amazing.
What I remember about that game was Choice running the ball down to the Red Zone in our first possession itself, and then the run game magically disappearing along with our offense.

Am I remembering that right?

I disagree. Last year our problem was the QB, not the OL. Once the defenses saw after a few games what the QB could do and what he could not do, we were toast. My hope for this year is that he has progressed in making his reads during the off season and hopefully his passing will improve as well. He certainly has the athletic tools to be very good.
Last year, perhaps. Taquan, after about game 5 was pretty bad on passing and pitching. Any other of the 9 years, though, no.

Early on, nobody had an answer for the Johnson offense. I recall the 2010 UGA game, which Playstation-like. No defense on either side. 76 total points scored. UGA's Grantham would jam the inside to force to the perimeter, and Nesbitt would just exploit the perimeter. Then you'd see Grantham scramble to stop the pitch, and the dives would go for big yardage. I remember thinking, "This will expose every defense that isn't rock solid and lightning fast."

Now it seems defenses are coming with much more specialized plans and working a little bit at a time through the year on them, then, where possible, getting a BYE the week before Tech. I think in the ACC, Johnson is the Great Satan, no matter how the games actually come out. Nobody anywhere wants to play against Tech. But last year UGA had a consistent, every-play plan to fill the inside lanes and dedicate the fastest LB (R. Smith) to just run to the perimeter without having to make any read other than run left or run right. It worked well, but of course R. Smith was a Butkus winner.

Other 3O schools are evolving their offenses to keep ahead of the counter-scheming. Still some triple option but a little bit more multi-dimensional. No news to anybody that it's nice to be able to throw. Nesbitt could throw just enough to freeze the attack for an instant, and JT, about the same. But (my take) Johnson seems a little too committed to his original design, as if it's holy writ. It's brilliant but like any scheme, it needs to grow a little. I'm curious to see if he's going to add some significant wrinkles. He can always tear up average defenses with "the playbook in his head--look, no clipboard!", but he needs more answers when the competition is higher level.
johnson has, and will go down with his version of the TO. He is hard headed enough to try and make it a winner just to try to show the world that it works!

My biggest complaint with CPJ’s 3-O is that there doesn’t seem to be a plan B. When it is being completely stonewalled, then that’s pretty much a wrap for us. Not that this thread is about that, just an observation.
IMO ...It get's stonewalled when all the parts are not in order. Currently, TQ won't pitch, in turn surrendering the corner, leaving speedy A backs holding their hands...Bad reads or bad tackle play could be the problem.
TQ saves a lot of failed plays with his speed and not by delivering the option well. We have power at B back with great acceleration, advantaged by solid center/ guard play.
Our game changing threat was our passing game. TQ is behind on that. Could be bad tackle play rushing him to throw or TQ pushing it.
I love this offense. When all the pieces are in place it's SO much fun to watch.

Last edited:

Good post saxon, as usual. However---ALL Os are evolving to keep ahead of the counters from Ds. As for when the competition is higher level, the only answer most of the time, is having equally higher level players on your side. This ain't happening at Tech until parents of the better players truly care about graduation rates and the better players come to believe STEM is cool. Unfortunately, this happening in most of our lifetimes or before CFB becomes flag football.

Good post saxon, as usual. However---ALL Os are evolving to keep ahead of the counters from Ds. As for when the competition is higher level, the only answer most of the time, is having equally higher level players on your side. This ain't happening at Tech until parents of the better players truly care about graduation rates and the better players come to believe STEM is cool. Unfortunately, this happening in most of our lifetimes or before CFB becomes flag football.
Thanks, GoldZ. I never expected to hear "good post, as usual" in these parts. Don't tell my Dawg friends. I agree, of course, that all Os have to evolve. When Urban Meyer came to Florida with what he called his "spread option," it wasn't that long ago yet most SEC fans laughed. They said, "That high school offense won't work in the SEC." He then won two national titles with the "high school offense." So anything can work at any level if you have the right athletes, but it's also a moving target. You have to keep changing up to keep people on their toes. We both know, as others have said, the real key is defense. Johnson has had a few years where he'd have been in the playoff picture with any kind of good defense. But still I'm intrigued by how many of his followers, such as the service academies and even GSU, have built onto the basic 3O.

Thanks, GoldZ. I never expected to hear "good post, as usual" in these parts. Don't tell my Dawg friends. I agree, of course, that all Os have to evolve. When Urban Meyer came to Florida with what he called his "spread option," it wasn't that long ago yet most SEC fans laughed. They said, "That high school offense won't work in the SEC." He then won two national titles with the "high school offense." So anything can work at any level if you have the right athletes, but it's also a moving target. You have to keep changing up to keep people on their toes. We both know, as others have said, the real key is defense. Johnson has had a few years where he'd have been in the playoff picture with any kind of good defense. But still I'm intrigued by how many of his followers, such as the service academies and even GSU, have built onto the basic 3O.

Monken seems to have done it by actually eliminating the forward pass from the playbook. I'm a fan.

Back