Georgia State Football Stadium

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
So yeah you obviously haven't been down there in 20 years...

Lol.

You are precisely why I laughed when CGC started this 404 branding. Zero chance of working. I mean, if you have Atlanta how can you as a fan base recruit from the same areas you hate?
This is similar to the old you can dress a pig up and put lipstick on it, but it's still just a pig. The same holds true for that area, as well as the other areas in Atlanta that are being gentrified. I'll admit that there are pockets of niceness that abound, but you've still got the same drug, homeless, criminal element that co-exists in those areas. That's the entire design concept, and lip service stated by the politicians and community leaders. It's a great idea as the developments continue pricing the riff raff out of the area. The riff raff isn't as prevalent as they once were, but they still exist. To huff and puff, and pump your chest as justification for the purported greatness of the gentrified areas in your eyes, is a case of false reality. To each his own. There is a political angle to all this which I'm not going to delve into, but you're probably a millennial, so I'm sure you think you're smarter than the rest of us that have no clue about the "new" Atlanta.

BTW...I commute to work through the area, and have been, for the last 19.5 years, so I know just a smidge about the ongoing transformation you're so proud of.

gobuzzgo

Varsity Lurker
I didn't read the OP as trolling. Guess I am in the minority on that opinion.

My opinion also: I think BDS@HGF is an amazing experience. Full disclosure: it has been a LONG time since I have been to a game because I have lived out-of-state for several decades. Every single time I am in Atlanta and a home game is being played, since 1983, I have been at BDS. I have never missed a game when I was in the same city as the Jackets. This includes College Park, Annapolis, Knoxville, Auburn, and Birmingham. I remember sitting in the upper east stands as a student as well as post-graduation, and thinking how amazing it is to have that close a view from an upper deck. I can remember standing in the front row during a UT/Tech night game when it was pouring rain, and even though I was standing in four inches of water, going crazy as the UT kicker missed the field goal resulting in an epic Tech win.

I don't know the economic details behind the various modifications to the Olympic Stadium/Turner Field/whatever it's called now, but in this age when teams just walk away from stadiums for questionable reasons (ahem, Braves, Falcons, and many other pro and college teams) and have them imploded, I am very glad that the Olympic stadium was built the way it was (planned such that the stadium could immediately be converted for the Braves) and that Georgia State was able to convert it to football. It is not as great a stadium for football as BDS, but all in all, I think it was a clever way for Georgia State to have a ready-made, albeit not perfect, stadium. I was at the stadium during the Olympics (Opening Ceremonies dress rehearsal) in the portion of the stands that were removed during the conversion to the Ted, and thinking that was pretty cool, especially while looking at the abandoned Atlanta-Fulton County stadium that would be demolished the next year.

I saw lots of Braves games at the Ted, and will admit that I don't necessarily know the gritty details of why that stadium was considered a failure in the last couple of decades, but I really think that stadiums should have longer shelf lives than a couple of decades. I mean, exhibit #1: BDS, right? Ultimately, it seems that $$$ is the reason. I loved watching games at Turner Field, and during the mid/late-90s, it seems like many other people did as well.

My .02.

The Jacket

The Coat
I didn't read the OP as trolling. Guess I am in the minority on that opinion.

My opinion also: I think BDS@HGF is an amazing experience. Full disclosure: it has been a LONG time since I have been to a game because I have lived out-of-state for several decades. Every single time I am in Atlanta and a home game is being played, since 1983, I have been at BDS. I have never missed a game when I was in the same city as the Jackets. This includes College Park, Annapolis, Knoxville, Auburn, and Birmingham. I remember sitting in the upper east stands as a student as well as post-graduation, and thinking how amazing it is to have that close a view from an upper deck. I can remember standing in the front row during a UT/Tech night game when it was pouring rain, and even though I was standing in four inches of water, going crazy as the UT kicker missed the field goal resulting in an epic Tech win.

I don't know the economic details behind the various modifications to the Olympic Stadium/Turner Field/whatever it's called now, but in this age when teams just walk away from stadiums for questionable reasons (ahem, Braves, Falcons, and many other pro and college teams) and have them imploded, I am very glad that the Olympic stadium was built the way it was (planned such that the stadium could immediately be converted for the Braves) and that Georgia State was able to convert it to football. It is not as great a stadium for football as BDS, but all in all, I think it was a clever way for Georgia State to have a ready-made, albeit not perfect, stadium. I was at the stadium during the Olympics (Opening Ceremonies dress rehearsal) in the portion of the stands that were removed during the conversion to the Ted, and thinking that was pretty cool, especially while looking at the abandoned Atlanta-Fulton County stadium that would be demolished the next year.

I saw lots of Braves games at the Ted, and will admit that I don't necessarily know the gritty details of why that stadium was considered a failure in the last couple of decades, but I really think that stadiums should have longer shelf lives than a couple of decades. I mean, exhibit #1: BDS, right? Ultimately, it seems that $$$ is the reason. I loved watching games at Turner Field, and during the mid/late-90s, it seems like many other people did as well.

My .02.
You should post more. Aside from my commitment to the sanctioned suicide movement, these kinds of posts are most of why I have kept coming back to this board all this time.