Georgia Tech Head Football Coaches 1987- Present

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Updated after the Duke win... Will Geoff Collins be able to get win 4 at Virginia? It would be the first time that he had B2B wins! Go Jackets!

stingmeyall

Flats Noob
Plain and simple. I see some talented ballplayers on the field. They are not being coached up period. Johnson had much better results with a lot less talent which was a direct result of his shortcomings as a recruiter and his style of football. I think any head coach should be judged by his record after 5 years. This allows for a complete turnover of personnel.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The offense is decent with the exception of a QB that hasn’t been taught to read defenses and where to throw the ball.
There is absolutely no excuse for the pathetic defense. They were comically confused last night, had no idea where to go or who to cover, and their tackling, getting off blocks and coverage fundamentals look like they’ve honestly never played football before at times—-that’s just terrible coaching. Thacker and his assistants need to all go.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Geoff Collins has been Georgia Tech's head coach for 22 conference games (including Notre Dame last year). 7 (after Last Night) of them have finished within 1 score. The other 15 were decided by double digits, whether the Jackets won or lost.

In conference games decided by double digits, Georgia Tech under Geoff Collins has gone...

2019: 0-5
2020: 2-6
2021: 1-1

Overall: 3-12

Bill Lewis Era type of coaching! #FACTS

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
UNC gave us 6 extra possessions
Duke missed 3 FG’s and we required 2 beautiful pass and catch plays to beat them.

Imagine defending these results. By all rights we have played well enough to have 1 win this year.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Geoff Collins has been Georgia Tech's head coach for 22 conference games (including Notre Dame last year). 7 (after Last Night) of them have finished within 1 score. The other 15 were decided by double digits, whether the Jackets won or lost.

In conference games decided by double digits, Georgia Tech under Geoff Collins has gone...

2019: 0-5
2020: 2-6
2021: 1-1

Overall: 3-12

Bill Lewis Era type of coaching! #FACTS
But BL was gone by now, fired in year 3.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
UNC gave us 6 extra possessions
Duke missed 3 FG’s and we required 2 beautiful pass and catch plays to beat them.

Imagine defending these results. By all rights we have played well enough to have 1 win this year.
You are neglecting the fact that Northern Illinois needed an extremely dubious two point conversion to beat us. You can't just mention all the good breaks we got while ignoring all the bad ones (well, you can, but that just makes you a douchenozzle). Whether we should have two wins or three or even four, I think this team is pretty close to what its record says it is.

GTCrew4b

You are neglecting the fact that Northern Illinois needed an extremely dubious two point conversion to beat us. You can't just mention all the good breaks we got while ignoring all the bad ones (well, you can, but that just makes you a douchenozzle). Whether we should have two wins or three or even four, I think this team is pretty close to what its record says it is.
i suppose you’re right. We had a couple bad breaks in the NIU game (the two missed FG due to footing issues) We should be 2-5.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Georgia Tech: No fan base in the country was as mentally prepared to lose for multiple years as the Yellow Jackets. When Paul Johnson and Georgia Tech went their separate ways, it was understood that the next coach would need a significant amount of time to overhaul a roster that was recruited to play option football.

But a major part of the attraction to Geoff Collins was his track record of building defenses relatively quickly that were aggressive, difficult to prepare for and dynamic because of how creatively he used his personnel. This was true as a coordinator and a head coach at Temple, so you'd think it would happen at Georgia Tech, too.

But at the 30-game mark of his tenure, patience is starting to wear thin — not just because Georgia Tech's offensive production has been predictably inconsistent, but because the defense has been a total flop. Though Collins has a defensive coordinator in Andrew Thacker, he's the face of it when the Jackets are on the wrong end of Virginia Tech's season-high output of 491 yards in a 26-17 loss. He's the face of it when Georgia Tech scores 40 but loses to Virginia because it allows 636 yards. He's the face of Pitt winning 52-21 in Atlanta.

Collins is just 9-21 as the Georgia Tech head coach, but he doesn't seem to be particularly on the hot seat. This is a long rebuild, and Tech's cash-strapped athletic department has little choice but to see it through.

However, the lack of competitiveness on defense is a major concern. If Collins can't get that fixed by next year, the message board complaints will start to bleed into administrative intervention sooner rather than later.

Link

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Lucky we pulled off the Miracle at Wallace Wade otherwise we’d be 1-4 in the Coastal in last place and 2-5 overall. The seat might be kinda warm right now.
The seat is warm. We need to make a bowl next season or Collins is gone.

GTCrew4b

I honestly don’t think this is true. Stansbury is basically friends with everyone on the staff. He won’t fire CGC. He may not extend him. But he won’t fire him.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
I honestly don’t think this is true. Stansbury is basically friends with everyone on the staff. He won’t fire CGC. He may not extend him. But he won’t fire him.
They rarely have a coach with 3 years left. They could always do an unguaranteed extension, which Bobinski did before. I do like those, negotiate with the coaches, don't give in. Only way to have the finances long term to make the hires we need.

GTCrew4b

We’ll see. I think Year 5 would be the soonest we MIGHT make a move. But if we go 5-7 next year he may give him a 2-year extension.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
I doubt it. We have elite, 404 AD’ing. He’ll battle to the wire, and that you can be proud of.