Georgia Tech Recruiting 2017 to present & Roster Managment

aeromech

Dodd-Like
What does the top 25 have to do with anything? You think we can beat #26 with 3 transfers and 23 freshmen?
It means most of the country has a low opinion of the ACC; which is what the post was addressing.

But in addition, it means that a SEC team and 2 B1G teams with the same 9-3 record will be ranked above you if you are in the ACC. It means winning half your games in the ACC Coastal when you have 3 transfers and 23 freshmen would not be earth shattering.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
It means most of the country has a low opinion of the ACC; which is what the post was addressing.

But in addition, it means that a SEC team and 2 B1G teams with the same 9-3 record will be ranked above you if you are in the ACC. It means winning half your games in the ACC Coastal when you have 3 transfers and 23 freshmen would not be earth shattering.
Well thats a bunch of verbal diarrhea. Still waiting for you to tell me how many coastal teams have less four stars on their roster.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Well thats a bunch of verbal diarrhea. Still waiting for you to tell me how many coastal teams have less four stars on their roster.
Why not do your own homework? :dunno:
If you don't believe the majority of the college sports world has a low opinion of ACC football, then I can't help you.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
There's a reddit post up on CCG talent differentials so someone already did this homework:

4 and 5* on roster According to 247 sports:

Florida State: 41

Clemson: 40

Miami: 34

Virginia Tech: 20

North Carolina: 15

North Carolina State: 13

Louisville: 12

Georgia Tech: 8

Pitt: 7

Duke: 7

Syracuse: 3

Boston college: 2

Wake Forest: 2

Virginia: 1

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
There's a reddit post up on CCG talent differentials so someone already did this homework:

So the answer appears to be five based on last year's numbers. Six wins would be overachieving.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Quick! somebody tell the ACC that UVA is actually last in the conference and that Clemson should be playing Miami this Saturday because @GTCrew said so.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Quick! somebody tell the ACC that UVA is actually last in the conference and that Clemson should be playing Miami this Saturday because @GTCrew said so.
They didn't win the ACC with Freshmen, did they? They are an experienced group with only one freshman starter.

Who apparently is literally their only 4 star recruit if that chart is correct.

But yeah, after two weeks of coaching we should rock everybody with a bunch of high school kids or our coaches must suck. U R a genius.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
So the answer appears to be five based on last year's numbers. Six wins would be overachieving.
We only played 3 of those teams. So yeah, 6 wins would be extremely overachieving.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
And FWIW, of the 8 players 4* or higher, 5 of those were brought in by CGC. I expect that number to nearly double after this recruiting cycle.
Unfortunately, the OP shows it increases by 2 this recruiting cycle, not doubles, and thats assuming we keep Gibbs.

The real key to this class is the overwhelming number of high 3 stars that are borderline 4s.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Unfortunately, the OP shows it increases by 2 this recruiting cycle, not doubles, and thats assuming we keep Gibbs.

The real key to this class is the overwhelming number of high 3 stars that are borderline 4s.
This class isn't finished.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.

Wouldn't be surprised if a few of those kids will be 4 stars by the end of the day on rivals. And we are still in on Battle and Morton, plus others.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Wouldn't be surprised if a few of those kids will be 4 stars by the end of the day on rivals. And we are still in on Battle and Morton, plus others.
Maybe not the end of the day, but the end of tomorrow for sure.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
We lost to a team who has 0 4&5 stars and beat a team that has 4 times as many 4&5 stars. Maybe this 'recruiting stars directly determines wins' philosophy has some kinks in it. If so, maybe 6 wins is possible.

I think it is long shot we get to 6 wins next year because I've lowered my expectations after this seasson; but you guys are acting like it is crazy talk.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
We lost to a team who has 0 4&5 stars and beat a team that has 4 times as many 4&5 stars. Maybe this 'recruiting stars directly determines wins' philosophy has some kinks in it. If so, maybe 6 wins is possible.

I think it is long shot we get to 6 wins next year because I've lowered my expectations after this seasson; but you guys are acting like it is crazy talk.
I think you're misunderstanding the argument here. No, number of "star" players doesn't directly indicate number of wins. Coaching certainly is a big part of it. I believe Miami still has some of the worst coaching in the league, and it shows by their squandered talent. I would argue that Citadel is well coached and extremely disciplined due to the nature of the school. That plus scheme makes up for the talent gap. We certainly aren't void of talent, but no one can argue that we aren't behind where we should be, especially on the lines of scrimmage.

Coaching can make up for that, but I don't believe one year of coaching can. It takes time for everyone to get caught up and be on the same page. 2019 everybody on our team started at the same place. Next year, we have a foundation laid and that should help with only having the newest members having to learn the process and culture. That should improve going forward.

The flip side of that, if you have a talented team with a solid locker room culture, a new coach can more easily create or continue success if he's good or even decent.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry

No, we are objecting to the description of "anything less than 6 wins is not good".

6 wins is possible but not probable. And a bowl should be a goal, but we shouldn't sell out for a bowl at the expense of the process.

Setting a 6win standard that is unlikely seems like it fits a malodorous agenda.

Last edited:

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I think 3 of our 4 stars were not allowed to play this year. UVA is unique: they are experienced: bunch of SR, most starters are SR or JRs and they have a great QB. He is a clear difference maker. Sort of remind me of GT in 2014 so it will be interesting if they can play at a high level or if they fall back the next couple of years. That is really what a highly ranked roster gives you, more consistency year to year. Look at State this year: they had quite a few nice season but then got young and had to rebuild.

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
4&5 star players along the O-line and D-line per team would provide a better correlation to wins imo. Not total

of course the same teams would be at the top but it would skew others that have many talented DBs and WRs. Those guys don’t lead to overal team wins. The lines do