georgia tech

Lack of Clarence Moore, if you ask me. The things he brought to the table were 3 point shooting + defensive rebounding / physical play + LEADERSHIP. Seems to me that other than physical play these are the components missing from this year's team.

Jack is the "team leader" but I just don't think he has the team together. He always looks pissed off on the court. Maybe he's too emotional, I don't know. Whatever the case may be, he still has a couple of weeks to get things turned around.

If I had been CPH yesterday I would've gone nuts after seeing the team just give up points by making lazy passes at halfcourt. There's no excuse for being that sloppy this far in the season. I do think that's one of those things that does fall back on the coach. Hopefully he can get this straightened out.

I think it's personnel. This year's senior class is mainly made up of athletes who aren't particularly polished basketball players. Remember this is Hewitt's first class and no one knew who he was or what he was about. But if you look at them we have, BJ-a pretty complete player IMO, Luke-who came in as a project and still has issues with strength and mobility, McHenry-a good defender but not an offensive threat, and Ish-a fantastic athlete but not really a skilled enough guard for this level of play. Add Bynum, who is another terrific athlete but a scorer first with a streaky shot. Those are the guys who are the leaders of this team. Add JJ who is a very good guard and you have the ingredients of a tough defense and deadly fast break attack. The problem is everyone knows that and makes us play half court which these guys aren't really suited to.

The hope for this year was that we'd have enough outside shooting to open up the lanes for guys like Ish to drive. As many have said we miss Lewis and Mo more than we expected, mainly on the offensive end and on the boards. The offense has suffered due to BJs injury, Bynum's inconsistency and the lack of time/slow development of Morrow and Frederick. Luke has been largely a non factor between his lack of strength and our inability/unwillingness to commit to an inside our game. We end up too often with McHenry and Ish on the floor together, meaning we're very limited as to where our offense will come from in half court. JJ has to force something to even have a chance to get us a good shot.

We can still finish this year on a high note and I think it's important that we do so. But looking to the future I believe we're recruiting better basketball players than we have today. Our D may not be as tough, but we should be able to score. We're just too one dimensional now and that's playing out for us.

CPH was held back, I think his first 2 years, by that 5/8 rule or whatever it was. I think his recruiting has picked up. The question might become, do stars and rankings not count in basketball just like football?

Nothing

has been said in this thread about passing or the "the lack of"good passing.Good passing can make up for 3 pt sooting lacking but we have fundamentally one of the poorest passing "good" teams EVER at Tech.Even the announcers start to make comments about how we dribble the ball so much .I watched some other teams this week-end and some of them pass 6 times in the time it takes us to pass 3 .The angles then get bad and it takes a great catch just to keep possession(and many times we don't).We have a 7-1 guy that we can't get dunks or drop-ins for!Not to mention settling for Forced 3 pters. Watching our offense is like watching a 6 cylinder car on 5 cylinders.sputter,cough,sputter,groan,spurt,etc

Anyone else notice how the negative posters

when we lose in BBall are nearly the same fonts as the negative posters in the Football forum?

Cheer up guys, it's just a sport. The BBall team will have to win six games to win the NC no matter what their record is (unless they fall apart and don't make it at all).

If coach wants to pad some senior's stats at the expense of losing games, that is his choice. Nobody cares what Valvano's NC team's ACC record was.

Hewitt will have many great teams before he is done here. Some will exceed our wildest expectations, and some will unexplicably fall short. (The same thing could've been said about Duke 20 years ago.)

We will see what this team is made of in March.

Re: Nothing

You are right about passing. This team doesn't pass well, and I think it's a symptom of having athletes instead of players.

I hate it when people act like Luke isn't doing a good job. He is. He plays solid defense and is dependable when he is fed the ball. Does he create shots? Not really.

But he is a solid center, plays hard, and well. I am tired of people acting like he isn't doing a good job when the statistics and Coach Hewitt indicate very strongly that he is.

Shouldn't this thread be in basketball?

AM SLINGGLE EINDT MEIN GLINGT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Back