Gerris Wilkinson to DE..

So would the linebakers be Fox, Smith, Brown, and Anyansi? With no one behind them if injuries? But I still like the idea since we have no DT's. Makes since.

Well, it says in certain situations. Doesn't sound like it's the base defense. I like it though, give the offense something else to think about and react to and get our best players on the field somehow.

Hope this move isn't being made 'cause Gathers' health will limit his play this year.. My gut tells me it is...

6'3"230 lb DE is *awfully* light.

My guess is it will be in passing situations, ala Fox last year.

At the local GT alumni meetings during the summer, Gailey was quoted as saying that Gerris had made the most progress of any player on the team.

Sounds like they may feel they just can't leave his athleticism off the field, which is a good thing.

With regards to Gathers, unfortunately I am in the camp who feels he will not be in the mix this year.

All one idiots opinion, of course

Originally posted by TIAR,B:
6'3"230 lb DE is *awfully* light.

My guess is it will be in passing situations, ala Fox last year.

At the local GT alumni meetings during the summer, Gailey was quoted as saying that Gerris had made the most progress of any player on the team.

Sounds like they may feel they just can't leave his athleticism off the field, which is a good thing.

With regards to Gathers, unfortunately I am in the camp who feels he will not be in the mix this year.

All one idiots opinion, of course
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree on Gathers. But since no one has any size down there, putting fox on one end and henderson on the other is our best chance from the outside to remotely have a pass rush. We certainly wont get it up the middle unless we send the house and obviously you cant do that on every down. Plus Wilkerson has no experience. So maybe you do put him on end and have Fox or Brown as the cover linebacker for back out of the backfield or tight end dragging across field. What does Anyansi do? That is about all the LB's we have realistically that have any experience isnt it?

Brown, Smith and Fox will be your starters with Hall, Anyansi, and either Wheeler or Moore as the other back-ups. We shall see.

Tanuta will have his work cut out for him this year with the "reductions in force" he is going to have to work with. Knowing that he is weak in the middle and also knowing that he likes to put pressure on an offense, my guess is that he will be doing a lot of different formations and trying to bring guys like Fox and Wilkerson off the edge from both the DE and LB position.

Unless our freshman DT's come in ready to hold the middle or someone else steps up there, we will have to do a lot of games to hide our weakness in the middle and also to make sure we have enough of a pass rush so our DBs don't have to cover for too long.

It will be critically important for Tanuta to stay ahead of the offense, call the right play and not get caught too often out of position.

Back