Goldtimers directions to Clemson. Does anyone have

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
link to the directions posted by Goldtimer? Also, will there be a group Stingtalk/Hive taigaiting spot? Thanks in advance.

I grew up in Greenville so I know the area pretty well. It is really a no brainer getting in. Just take I-85 north (I assume you are coming from GA) and take the Anderson / Clemson exit. I have forgotten the road # but take it west until you see those stupid Tiger paws on the road...you will know you are heading in the right direction. GET THERE EARLY so you have time to tailgate! Those rednecks will be hooping it up so get there early and be prepared to stay a long time after the game if it is a close one (takes a while to filter all those necks out of campus due to the lack of interstates). As long as Tech wins it will be a glorious trip but close your ears if Tech loses (they will be rubbing it in for all they are worth). I hate everything about Clemson, their degenerate fans, their illiterate SAs and especially that disgusting "Tiger Rag" song. Shew...all better now.

Only one problem with those directions - GaDOT will be doing their best to screw us all up. Ther will be construction on I-85 every weekend from here to eternity. Hopefully the Dawg fans don't get lost on their way to Columbia and head up I-85
pat.gif
- that will mess us up more.

I didn't see Goldtimers direction. Missed the post if there was one.

Living in Gainesville GA there is a good alternative I know of that keeps you off 85 north where most of the construction is by going past Gainesville to Taccoa GA on I-985 then on to Clemson which is only about 30 miles from Taccoa believe it or not on Hwy 123. It's easy nice drive. I got these links by using MapPoint getting directions from Atlanta to Toccoa then from Toccoa to Clemson. There are a lot of turns here in directions, but it's 85 north to 985 north to Toccoa (past Gainesville) then taking 123 to Clemson. These directions on MapPoint don't take into account that 985 goes all the way to Toccoa now. So take out all the turns from techwood ave, in Gainesville, and such and it's straight shot. About 120 miles from downtown Atlanta to Clemson this way.

Again I didn't see Goldtimers directions. This is a good alternative. It's not only an easy drive but it's a pretty drive as well.

Atlanta to Toccoa link...
Atlanta to Toccoa

Toccoa to Clemson Link.....
Toccoa to Clemson

The illustrated I-85 - Seneca route is at
http://gtw.swiki.net/95
which is linked on the GTworldNEWS front page

BUT, that is NOT recommended (other than the last part entering the campus from the SW) this year, due to the I-85 construction.

I plan to (by Friday) post a new page illustrating the alternate route GTTerriffic has described.

First, I was going to verify all I-85 work will be well north of the 985 split, to determine if the alternate route should get off I-85 even earlier. Are you sure the work (and backup) will be north of the split, Terrif?

ALSO, have seen photos of construction work near the bridge entering the campus from the west, which is the one involved in the alternate route via Seneca. Need to drive over and see what that looks like and ask if that road will be wide open on game day before revising the alternate route page.

I see at least 3 posts on the Hive asking for directions this AM, and regret I don't have the revised directions ready to post, but the real world sometimes gets in the way of more important things ;-)

Score Prediction Contest open for entries
e-mail score@techie.com
include Identifier, GT score, and CU score IN TITLE
remember, 250pt penalty for not picking winner
this will separate the men from the boys

Major 85 construction between Sugarloaf Pkwy and the Mall of Georgia exit. Not only are they working on the overpass at Old Peachtree, they are paving 85 and doing some work on the Rest Area. Sheesh! This just so happens to be where 985 splits off 85 to Gainesville. You can always take 316 north to Hwy 124/120 and take a left. This gets you back over to 85 north.

THWG!

IMO, taking 316 to bypass the I-85 work, getting back on 85, then going NW to Clem's Son's Field is really zigzagging to the destination.

Better to stay NW of I-85 the whole way, which is what my revised directions will show.

I assumed folks were continuing up 85, but you're right, better to stay off 85 if possible. Could take Buford Hwy all the way up to 120 and then take 120 over to 985?

THWG!

Traveling Buford Highway will remind me of going to visit Grandma and Grandpa every Sunday when I was a kid, before there was an I-85. What a slow, painful drive, with all the ugly billboards. I-85 was such a pleasant change appearance and speedwise when built. But now, it's getting cluttered with EVEN BIGGER billboards, firework stands, etc. And the traffic is gettng worse.

They better get to work on an interstate light rail system, which should have been in Ike's plan from the git-go, but he didn't ask me. ;-)

Back