Good, yet desperate move by Gailey

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
As a Non-FOCer, I truly expected to see Suggs taking the snaps this Fall. Gailey seemed way too conservative in his ways to think outside his structured offensive box. It appears that he has now proven me wrong in the short term with regards to the continuing QB train wreck at Ga. Tech.
Bilbo, for what ever reasons, apparently can't get it done for this coaching staff. For all of us who last year wanted Bilbo in the game to replace Suggs, we now must accept the fact that Tech had only basket cases to work with at QB. You can't win at Poker too often with a pair of 2's.
Gailey, in my opinion, has taken a bold (and desperate) step to help this team, and his coaching future at Tech. It may, and probably will be, a murderous season now, but if Ball or Carter can do what Suggs and Bilbo couldn't....so be it.
Gailey's decision to move Bilbo to RB and rely on a true Freshman at QB will buy him more time with those fans who are on the fence about his abilities. He will now get the sympathy vote he will desperately need to survive this season when it turns ugly.

Ball now has a golden opportunity to turn lemons into lemonade...he also has a chance to taste dirt at several stadiums across the country very soon. God be with you Mr. Ball! Here's hoping that you can become the savior of Tech Football and one coach on a very hot seat.
BOO

I usually try to ignore threads like these.. but this one is so insane I just had to respond...

BDG.. my suggestion to you is to get away from your computer screen for awhile and go see this Ball kid practice... then you will see how foolish your words above really are..

As for Beebad... I assume you are referring to Bilbo and Suggs as the highly rated QB prospects.. if so, dont forget that there was "nothing, nada, etc." coming out of Tennessee as well... sometimes coaching cannot correct what is between someones ears.. that seems to be the case with both Suggs and Bilbo.. neither do well when pressure and decision making are combined...

Originally posted by jacketguy:
I usually try to ignore threads like these.. but this one is so insane I just had to respond...

BDG.. my suggestion to you is to get away from your computer screen for awhile and go see this Ball kid practice... then you will see how foolish your words above really are..

As for Beebad... I assume you are referring to Bilbo and Suggs as the highly rated QB prospects.. if so, dont forget that there was "nothing, nada, etc." coming out of Tennessee as well... sometimes coaching cannot correct what is between someones ears.. that seems to be the case with both Suggs and Bilbo.. neither do well when pressure and decision making are combined...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are right, jacketguy... chan gailey doesn't have it between the ears... He can't coach up college QBs ... He's a pro guy... Can't wait until we blow this guy out...

Beebad.. I dont have the time, nor the inclination to get into the pissing matches that some of you seem to enjoy on this board.. go get a life.. go watch a practice.. then come back with an opinion...

You know, if Hollings had decided to switch to running back this year, you'd probably use that as an example of inept coaching by Gailey. I think it has been demonstrated in other posts around this board that players change positions from their HS days. From the quotes from the likes of Emmit Smith, Gailey has a knack for getting players to their proper position where they are most likely to contribute. If Beebad and BDG weren't so damn stupid they'd know that. Shawn Jones was a four year starter, perhaps Gailey recognized that Ball is good enough to be another.

By the way, I think you'll see Brian Camp before seeing Suggs.

Beebad...Thats your actual wish..."Cant wait till we blow this guy out" Thats why your posts have no credibilty..Your on your mission in life to Explain away every success Gailey has or our football team has under Him..All because you want him gone... Well you better wake up....As has been shown over and over again...Chan is the best at moving players to the right position..You wont accept that because your eyes have shades on them concerning Chan....

Hey BDG & BeeBad:

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggies, or are you gonna bite?

A.B.

Originally posted by AnotherBee:
Hey BDG & BeeBad:

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggies, or are you gonna bite?

A.B.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL! Good one A.B.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
2 highly rated QBs Prospects + 1 pro offensive coordinator = Zero .....
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beebad, what about the list of "highly rated QBs prospects" who did not start at QB under former offensive coordinator Ralph Friedgen?

Jermaine Crenshaw?
the guy now at Delaware?
a guy still on our team?
a few from the late 80's?

Beebad, what about the long, long list of "highly rated QBs Prospects" from other schools who did not have stellar careers?

Vince Sutton at Alabama? (#1 prospect in the country)
Jamey Harris at Georgia (ditto)

Do you ever consider that the cupboard was not too full at QB when Chan inherited this team? Do you not think that 1.5 years is enough time to give a guy a shot at QB? How long have you been a college football fan?

I would take 1 pro QB over 12 highly rated HS QB prospects.

Chan knows pro QBs. Just maybe ... He sees something in Mr. Ball that a pro knows.

Maybe - Just Maybe - A future pro QB starter? I would take one of those for 4 years on the flats. Maybe a little rough getting started but hold onto your seats ... this could be the start of something great.

Or on the other hand it could all just crash and burn.

I just want to be there when we play Reggie Ball for the BCS Championship. I also want to be there to watch Reggie Ball in the Superbowl and be named MVP.

ITS TIME TO PLAY "REGGIE BALL"!! - Not just a QB but a new type of football.

I think I like it.

bdg,
It's not often that I come to your defense given the respective sides of the fence that you and I stand on, but...

I too thought you were actually giving some credit to Coach Gailey. The fact that you used the word desperate is what "ruined" your post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are saying the following:
1. You believed Gailey's conservative ways would leave him relying on a QB with inept skills again as it APPEARED he was doing last season.
2. Many wanted Bilbo in last year, but it seems as though he really can't handle the position either. It is becoming obvious that Gailey had little to work with at QB last year.
3. There is still a likelyhood of a bad season of W/L, but if Ball or Carter are stepping in and are putting in good numbers/performances, then the season may not be a total loss in regards to building for the future.
4. These moves will rightfully give Coach Gailey some slack as long as progress is obvious, especially with the QB's.

If this is what you are basically saying, I say you are, for the most part, right (not that you need my affirmation or anything.) Where we differ is in the reason for these moves. I don't believe for one second that Coach Gailey would make a move based on securing his job. His decisions are made in order to put GT in the best possible position to win games and championships.

All that aside, I also hope that Mr. Ball can turn it on and leave us to an unbelievably successful season.

Finally, to an avowed non-FOCer, thanks for being man enough to say that Coach Gailey is doing something right. I know your not ready for baptism yet, and you still reserve the right to point out the bad, but an attitude like that goes a long way to "span the gulf" of derision and division amongst the Tech faithful...

Go Jackets!

Beebad. Typically only good ideas need to be copyrighted out of fear of them being misused. Since you have been shown to have none, you may remove your disclaimer.

This I am SURE of.

If someone put a gun to your head and said that if you lost the football game you would be executed...and another condition was that you had to choose between Beebad and Chan Gailey to select the QB for your team...who would let draft for you?

...the armchair/weekend warrior the football coach with 20 years of experience.

Why does everyone let Beebad upset them so much?...he is simply flaming for fun! Just ignore it.

No one here is flaming and NO this IS NOT FUN!!!!
Beebad, BDG, me and anyone else would rather be singing praises and looking forward to the season. Everyone here, whether you are a fan of Chan or not as an issue about this upcoming season - including the Chan supporters.

The only 'FLAME THROWERS' here are those who continue to attack on a personal note. There are no dawg fans here, there are no Auburn fans here ... they are ALL ours and the flame accusation is ludicrous!

I cannot imagine a GA, Auburn, BYU, or any other team on our schedule having to come here this year and flame - we have enough problems where they don't have to stir anything up!

Originally posted by spellingbee:

I don't believe for one second that Coach Gailey would make a move based on securing his job. His decisions are made in order to put GT in the best possible position to win games and championships.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If he wins games and championships, by default he secures his job, since that IS HIS JOB. Also, I don't think Chan or anybody else with any knowledge of football is going to hide behind the "we had to start a true freshman at QB" excuse if somehow this season goes horribly wrong. Chan is not doing this to provide himself an excuse at the end of the season. He is doing it to win football games. Therefore that is what I expect him to do. No more talk of rebuilding or improving week to week or competing. It is time to win.

originally posted by wrecked
posted 08-09-2003 03:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by spellingbee:

I don't believe for one second that Coach Gailey would make a move based on securing his job. His decisions are made in order to put GT in the best possible position to win games and championships.

If he wins games and championships, by default he secures his job, since that IS HIS JOB. Also, I don't think Chan or anybody else with any knowledge of football is going to hide behind the "we had to start a true freshman at QB" excuse if somehow this season goes horribly wrong. Chan is not doing this to provide himself an excuse at the end of the season. He is doing it to win football games. Therefore that is what I expect him to do. No more talk of rebuilding or improving week to week or competing. It is time to win.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That is correct. Winning will secure his job, but he is making decisions to win, not to have a built-in excuse to secure his job in case he doesn't win. I don't think he is into "hiding" behind anything. I think we are saying the same thing here; I don't know if you were disagreeing with me on something, but we seem to be on the same page.

The only area where we may differ is if the W/L column is not sterling but there is obvious progress. Rarely do I think that progress is an acceptable (to me) means of judging a coach, but this year I might think differently given the nature of the QB situation last year, and even this spring.

Now as far as being Okay with competing well and not winning, I think if your can compete, you can win.

To summarize my wordiness...I'm with you.

Back