"Goon Squad" for real? We find out Sat

dressedcheeseside

Dodd-Like
This is one of the biggest question marks still left in my mind. They have looked very good to date, but as we all know, against lesser competition.

As I stated in another thread, my biggest worry is UNC's interior DL blowing up the LOS, getting penetration and disrupting the mesh and changing the angles, footwork and spacing of our qb/AB relationship. This leads to TFL's and BOG's. (balls on the ground)

I'm also concerned about our OL's not getting to their LB's or having their blocks shed rather easily. LB's running free to the ball is not a good thing.

If we can at least stalemate the LOS, I'll be happy. If we can get some push up front, I'll be extactic.

My thoughts exactly. High performing D-lines have been this offense's nemesis (LSU, Iowa, etc).

In addition to the running game, one of the noticeable differences in our passing game is the fact that the QB isn't getting chased out of the pocket or blown up before he can get the ball off. UNC has good talent up front, this will be a good litmus test for the O-line.

My thoughts exactly. High performing D-lines have been this offense's nemesis (LSU, Iowa, etc).

In addition to the running game, one of the noticeable differences in our passing game is the fact that the QB isn't getting chased out of the pocket or blown up before he can get the ball off. UNC has good talent up front, this will be a good litmus test for the O-line.

The funny thing is we have rolled up all kinds of offense on UNC's stellar DLs these 3 years though. The '09 UNC defense led the country in rush defense when we played them and finished #10 giving up 95.6 rypg at 2.83 ypc. We rushed for 317 yards on 69 carries that game and held the ball for a ridiculous 42:06. Take away that game from UNC's schedule and their numbers go to 77.1 rypg at 2.5 ypc (both good for #2 in the country behind Texas).

That was probably the best DL we have played under CPJ and maybe that we'll ever play considering they had to cheat to assemble it. And we dominated them all day.

The funny thing is we have rolled up all kinds of offense on UNC's stellar DLs these 3 years though. The '09 UNC defense led the country in rush defense when we played them and finished #10 giving up 95.6 rypg at 2.83 ypc. We rushed for 317 yards on 69 carries that game and held the ball for a ridiculous 42:06. Take away that game from UNC's schedule and their numbers go to 77.1 rypg at 2.5 ypc (both good for #2 in the country behind Texas).

That was probably the best DL we have played under CPJ and maybe that we'll ever play considering they had to cheat to assemble it. And we dominated them all day.

I just don't understand why that is. UNC's DL is legit, they show that throughout the year. Yet, they don't dominate us like other big time DL have (LSU, IOWA) . Is it because the bowl break throws off the timing of our OL? What could it be?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

We do best with those that just pin their ears back and play "typical" defense. Those that are athletic and smart are a tough combo for any offense. I do not know what quality of coaches Butch left after his demise.

I just don't understand why that is. UNC's DL is legit, they show that throughout the year. Yet, they don't dominate us like other big time DL have (LSU, IOWA) . Is it because the bowl break throws off the timing of our OL? What could it be?

From a poster on the UNC board, they don't play assignments well. Undisciplined.

My guess is Tevin has one of his biggest rushing games to date. UNC will over commit to stop the pitch and be vulnerable to the keep. Can't wait to see Tevin's fake pitch keeper to the house play!

We played LSU and Iowa in bowl games. So both teams had stellar DL's as well as having plenty of time to prepare by working on playing assignments, discipline, etc.

I think UNC defense will be a challenge, but I'd be more worried if they were coming off a bye week.

This is one of the biggest question marks still left in my mind. They have looked very good to date, but as we all know, against lesser competition.

As I stated in another thread, my biggest worry is UNC's interior DL blowing up the LOS, getting penetration and disrupting the mesh and changing the angles, footwork and spacing of our qb/AB relationship. This leads to TFL's and BOG's. (balls on the ground)

I'm also concerned about our OL's not getting to their LB's or having their blocks shed rather easily. LB's running free to the ball is not a good thing.

If we can at least stalemate the LOS, I'll be happy. If we can get some push up front, I'll be extactic.

They have three projected first round draft picks in their front seven.

DE Quinton Coples as a Top 3.
DE Dontae Paige-Moss between #8 and #18.
OLB Zach Brown between #20 and #25.

The DT's are projected 2nd or 3rd round...JUCO AA Sylvester Williams and the other DT Tydreke Powell. Their first DT off the bench, Jordan Nix, also expects to be drafted between 3rd and 5th rounds...he was a starter beat out by Sylvester Williams.

With the addition of Philty RT, this is CPJ biggest avg size and most athletic OL since his arrival. I believe all them except Beno are 6-3/6-4 290-300 range. This has to account for the great run/pass blocking, right?

We played LSU and Iowa in bowl games. So both teams had stellar DL's as well as having plenty of time to prepare by working on playing assignments, discipline, etc.

I think UNC defense will be a challenge, but I'd be more worried if they were coming off a bye week.

They came off a bye week last year.

With the addition of Philty RT, this is CPJ biggest avg size and most athletic OL since his arrival. I believe all them except Beno are 6-3/6-4 290-300 range. This has to account for the great run/pass blocking, right?

Did Kidney get bumped from LT?

With the addition of Philty RT, this is CPJ biggest avg size and most athletic OL since his arrival.
Really?

I'd like to see the stats. Supposedly "his guys" were smaller, right? Yadda yadda I know we can use big guys if they can run, but I thought we'd been getting smaller instead of bigger on the OL.

Stat comparison someone?

I watched the UNC-Virginia game on ESPN3 last night. I only made it into the second quarter, but it looked like Virginia was able to operate its offense fairly well. I'll be honest, UNC didn't look all that great on either side of the ball - but they have a lot of individual talent. I didn't see an overwhelming amount of disruption in the backfield.

They had a ton of turnovers against Rutgers, we have done well in that regard.

I do not think that it is unreasonable, especially for some long-time Tech fans, to have a self-defeating prophecy that UNC 'puts it all together' against us this week.

FWIW, UVA's starting front 5 averages 6'6'', 306 lbs, with their big being a 335lb tackle and their small being a 285lb center. They also have a 6'6'' 245lb TE. This might have been a factor in their pass protection.

My guess is Tevin has one of his biggest rushing games to date. UNC will over commit to stop the pitch and be vulnerable to the keep. Can't wait to see Tevin's fake pitch keeper to the house play!

If your best D-linemen are ends, that's good for us since the end is who the QB reads for the first handoff.

If they overcommit the DEs, that opens up the midline. Nesbitt ran 58 times against UNC in the last two seasons. I'm willing to bet that is as much as he ran against anyone in those two seasons and, while I don't have tape, I bet there's a lot of midline in there too.

And if they read that the DE is hanging back? Well B-backs (Dwyer and Lyons, then Allen and Lyons) had 44 total carries for 294 yards (6.68 ypc).

Elite DTs are a bigger problem because we don't really use a read to neutralize them (to my understanding) so we actually have to just stop the big nasties.

If your best D-linemen are ends, that's good for us since the end is who the QB reads for the first handoff.

If they overcommit the DEs, that opens up the midline. Nesbitt ran 58 times against UNC in the last two seasons. I'm willing to bet that is as much as he ran against anyone in those two seasons and, while I don't have tape, I bet there's a lot of midline in there too.

And if they read that the DE is hanging back? Well B-backs (Dwyer and Lyons, then Allen and Lyons) had 44 total carries for 294 yards (6.68 ypc).

Elite DTs are a bigger problem because we don't really use a read to neutralize them (to my understanding) so we actually have to just stop the big nasties.

Yes, but because we take the snap under center and wide splits, the B-Back hits his gap pretty quick so that the OL doesn't have to hold their blocks very long, compared to other offenses.

The midline option reads the DT.

The reason great lines screw us is the same reason they screw everyone else - can't throw from formations under center, so you're tipping your hand on the play call by your formation. That's the whole reason Shotgun Option was invented, to get around big ass D lines that eat your breakfast in the passing game. I have yet to see how PJ handles this in his system, other than get beat and complain about how we need to block better. It's my one solitary gripe about our system.

So we'll see how it goes. Looks like their D line is the real freaking deal.

Actually man the Midline Option is a double option that options the DT. The playside guard veer releases inside of the DT to the Mike backer and the fullback runs right up the centers alley because the center is chipping to backside backer so there is a lane there and the qb reads the DT who is normally in a 2 or 3 tech. If the DT pinches down and takes fullback the qb pulls and follows the backside A back who motions and ISO's the playside LB into playside B gap. If the DT rushes upfield the qb gives it to the BB who hits the unoccupied A gap.

Back