"Goon Squad" for real? We find out Sat

If your best D-linemen are ends, that's good for us since the end is who the QB reads for the first handoff.

I wish somebody would have told Clyburn that before the Orange Bowl.

Beno and Smith started last game.

Beno was named as the starter on FSS, but I'm not sure

Did Kidney get bumped from LT?

From today's press conference:

...the two starting offensive tackles will be determined in practice, he said. Phil Smith, Tyler Kidney and Ray Beno had roughly the same amount of snaps at tackle against Kansas, and Beno had another 20 snaps at guard.

Actually man the Midline Option is a double option that options the DT. The playside guard veer releases inside of the DT to the Mike backer and the fullback runs right up the centers alley because the center is chipping to backside backer so there is a lane there and the qb reads the DT who is normally in a 2 or 3 tech. If the DT pinches down and takes fullback the qb pulls and follows the backside A back who motions and ISO's the playside LB into playside B gap. If the DT rushes upfield the qb gives it to the BB who hits the unoccupied A gap.

Very well described accounting of the MO...bravo. But where in all that chipping, pinching, motion, iso, meshing and gapping do we decide to throw it? Kinda TIC, but I think the point was that war daddy DT's seem to give our "forward pitch" game problems, and I'd have to agree. Not arguing, just asking, because IDK.

My only concern is whether we are going to score the first play on a pass or a run. :biggrin:

With the addition of Philty RT, this is CPJ biggest avg size and most athletic OL since his arrival. I believe all them except Beno are 6-3/6-4 290-300 range. This has to account for the great run/pass blocking, right?

This is the key difference this year IMO. CPJ is getting his linemen in the system.
Does nobody remember the "duct tape and boling wire" comment?

My only concern is whether we are going to score the first play on a pass or a run. :biggrin:

3. On the three-game streak of scores on the first play from scrimmage, Johnson said Tech has been fortunate to hit some big plays and that “I think we all know that’s probably coming to an end.”
Now, of course, what he's saying here is--since we don't technically have "ends"--that's probably coming to an A-Back running a route often run by tight ends. I'm predicting a crossing route. :biggthumpup:

This is the key difference this year IMO. CPJ is getting his linemen in the system.
Does nobody remember the "duct tape and boling wire" comment?

No, but I do recall a "duct tape and BAILING wire" comment. You know, the stuff you tie hay bales with.

Back