Grad Transfer OL - Kenneth Kirby

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
The two "meanest" OL that I can recall since I've been watching GT football are John Davis and Parker Braun. Just my opinion - I could be wrong.

But: this guy seems like his is in this category. If so, that is pretty good company.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Competition is KING. If you don't think so as a player, then there's the door. Key will put best 5 OL on field and some will be trained up at two positions.
Also, our young players are too young at OL. We have a real gap in age caused by past recruiting sins between the transfers and holdovers we have, and our babies. They are too young, and should not be upset if a freshman does not beat out a senior.

To me the most interesting battle to watch will be ROT. Will a transfer dethrone a GC recruit? As long as it is an honest competition I don't think our culture will get upset either way.

And if we start moving opponents with our OL, and I predict we will, we will win, and if we win, everyone should be happy.

If our holdovers get annoyed I predict it will be the attention to improve the transfers get in the spring, but if I were a coach that is what I would be doing.

Techbert,
is really most concerned about young linebackers stepping up this spring

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
Also, our young players are too young at OL. We have a real gap in age caused by past recruiting sins between the transfers and holdovers we have, and our babies. They are too young, and should not be upset if a freshman does not beat out a senior.

To me the most interesting battle to watch will be ROT. Will a transfer dethrone a GC recruit? As long as it is an honest competition I don't think our culture will get upset either way.

And if we start moving opponents with our OL, and I predict we will, we will win, and if we win, everyone should be happy.

If our holdovers get annoyed I predict it will be the attention to improve the transfers get in the spring, but if I were a coach that is what I would be doing.

Techbert,
Yep, LB then DL then CB for concerns

ComputerNut62

Varsity Lurker
No one has mentioned the other OT transfer, Devin Cochran. I like the idea of quality depth. Cochran will participate this spring while Kirby will not and has an even stronger resume coming in. Competition is king so who knows what will happen, but with Williams, Quinney, Cochran definitely ATL and maybe some up-and-comers too, Kirby might not have a huge impact. I think Kirby’s goal was to better his skills under Key and show what he can do against top level competition. I think he’s right that this is the best move to get noticed by pro scouts.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like

Techbert,
As we stand now, what do you think the starting OL will look like?

GoGATech

Big Dummy
No one has mentioned the other OT transfer, Devin Cochran. I like the idea of quality depth. Cochran will participate this spring while Kirby will not and has an even stronger resume coming in. Competition is king so who knows what will happen, but with Williams, Quinney, Cochran definitely ATL and maybe some up-and-comers too, Kirby might not have a huge impact. I think Kirby’s goal was to better his skills under Key and show what he can do against top level competition. I think he’s right that this is the best move to get noticed by pro scouts.
One of those may not be there in the fall.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
The two "meanest" OL that I can recall since I've been watching GT football are John Davis and Parker Braun. Just my opinion - I could be wrong.

But: this guy seems like his is in this category. If so, that is pretty good company.
Or the guy John Davis calls mean, Eric Bearden.

Uncle Mike

Hell Yeah!

Mike Mooney comes to mind...

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan

So was Shaq Mason not mean, just very skilled? Not trolling just asking your honest opinion.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
So was Shaq Mason not mean, just very skilled? Not trolling just asking your honest opinion.
Good question that I actually asked myself before making this post.

Shaq was obviously good. But he was not *mean* like Davis or Braun. Or, as one pointed out, Bearden.

Those guys wanted to punish people.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Good question that I actually asked myself before making this post.

Shaq was obviously good. But he was not *mean* like Davis or Braun. Or, as one pointed out, Bearden.

Those guys wanted to punish people.
Why was Braun “mean” compared to Mason? Because he had little temper trantrums on the sideline and threw his helmet a lot? Or stormed off the field in his final bowl game like a little biotch? If so, I guess he was mean

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
Joe Anoai
Joe, one of the 2006 Captains, was a DL. The famous avi of him de-cleating an Auburn QB was on an INT return.

If you wanna talk DLs, we have a LOTTTTTTTT of those.

Last edited:

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m 51 years old. So been watching football for roughly 43 years. Seriously watching since I enrolled at GT at 18 years old. There are two constants that will never change in college football unless rules are changed - 1) the offensive line is the most important group on any team, and 2) you won’t win without a legit college QB.

RB’s, WR’s, DB’s and LB’s are a dime a dozen and interchangeable/replaceable. Sure, you have freaks at other positions that can carry a team to a lot of wins (Herschel, Bo, Deion, Barry, Calvin, Randy, Sapp) but if you don’t have an offensive line and a QB you aren’t winning anything of consequence. Coach Collins is taking full advantage of this unique time in college football to basically recruit another class. The portal has been the biggest windfall for mid level teams in the past 40 years. The factories can’t take advantage because they have little fat to replace which is why you’ll see the portal stomped dead at some point.

What Collins has done along the OLine and DLine since the Pittsburgh debacle gives me a little hope. Now it’s time for this staff to stand up and coach their butts off. I love this GT centric staff but it’s time to sit the waffle house cup down and get to coaching. There are no more excuses to be made. No one is expecting a Coastal title, but we can not have repeats of UCF, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Citadel anymore.
Agree with the importance of OL and QB. But it’s still going to take Collins 2-3 more years of recruiting to really know where we are. GT was at an absolute nadir in talent when he took over.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Joe, one of the 2006 Captains, was a DL. The famous avi of him de-cleating an Auburn QB was on an INT return.

If you wanna talk, DLs, we have a LOTTTTTTTT of those.
I would add Nate Stimson to that list but like you said, its a long list