Grad Transfer OL - Kenneth Kirby

aeromech

Dodd-Like
would you say that if Shaq Mason was still here? Don't be a doofus.
Shaq Mason didn't have measurables, and still doesn't. He is also a guard and not a center so I don't what that does to theory posted above that it ok for centers to be short. I guess it is ok to have short centers and guards now.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Shaq Mason didn't have measurables, and still doesn't. He is also a guard and not a center so I don't what that does to theory posted above that it ok for centers to be short. I guess it is ok to have short centers and guards now.
Cooper is 6'3" 324. You're still mad about CGC'S comment about the 6' 260 lb linemen?

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I'm not looking for trouble but you flatly indicated that if one of CPJ's recruits are still in the starting lineup then that meant we were in big trouble. I asked what if Shaq Mason were still here. You completely sidestepped the question with some jib jab about centers and guards and whatever.

Just take the L and move on down the road.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
1. There was a large difference between the size of the first string and the size of the 2nd string OL under CPJ. That dropoff is considerably diminished now, if not completely absent, making us more resilient through the season.

2. There has also been an enormous size increase at the tackle spots, where the change was greatest and we now emphasize pass blocking over hitting linebackers at the 2nd level.

3. Kenny Cooper starting is little surprise as he's one of the better OL CPJ ever had.

4. He's a 37th-year senior at a position that thrives on experience and leadership.

5. Kenny is also seems a little bigger than he used to be.

6. CPJ signed two OL in 2018 and zero in 2019 before CGC had a month to ink the class. We picked up six under CGC in 2020. Williams and COVID freebies aside, those players would now be redshirt freshmen. It's going to be another year before we hit steady state.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
1. There was a large difference between the size of the first string and the size of the 2nd string OL under CPJ. That dropoff is considerably diminished now, if not completely absent, making us more resilient through the season.

2. There has also been an enormous size increase at the tackle spots, where the change was greatest and we now emphasize pass blocking over hitting linebackers at the 2nd level.

3. Kenny Cooper starting is little surprise as he's one of the better OL CPJ ever had.

4. He's a 37th-year senior at a position that thrives on experience and leadership.

6. CPJ signed two OL in 2018 and zero in 2019 before CGC had a month to ink the class. We picked up six under CGC in 2020. Williams and COVID freebies aside, those players would now be redshirt freshmen. It's going to be another year before we hit steady state.
Cooper used to have a problem holding weight for CPJ, so I have heard.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member

Excellent post. This is how you put an issue into perspective.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I'm not looking for trouble but you flatly indicated that if one of CPJ's recruits are still in the starting lineup then that meant we were in big trouble. I asked what if Shaq Mason were still here. You completely sidestepped the question with some jib jab about centers and guards and whatever.

Just take the L and move on down the road.
Are new to this thread or Stingtalk in general?? CPJ has been slammed repeatedly on here for his recruiting, especially his OL recruiting. If you believe CPJ left the cupboard bare, then anyone CPJ recruited still starting is a sign of concern, particularly on the OL and especially in the freaking middle of that line.

aeromech

Dodd-Like

NIce perspective that has been completely lost on here for the past 3 years. Correct that CPJ signed zero OL in 2019, in fact he signed zero anything in 2019. Also you seem to be ignoring the upper classmen OL we have picked up through the portal. Kenny is a little bigger than he used to be, both he and Quinney grew 4-6 inches.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Are new to this thread or Stingtalk in general?? CPJ has been slammed repeatedly on here for his recruiting, especially his OL recruiting. If you believe CPJ left the cupboard bare, then anyone CPJ recruited still starting is a sign of concern, particularly on the OL and especially in the freaking middle of that line.
That’s not what people have been saying and you know it. No one in any thread has ever said none of the guys CPJ recruited can play. What has been said is that we needed to change the kind of players and body types overall at a number of positions OL being one. Some guys were able to adapt, many weren’t.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Some of us, including me, said he stopped recruiting OL and that is catastrophic for the team after you "retire."

Can someone tell aeromech you need five OL? He does not seem to know.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Some of us, including me, said he stopped recruiting OL and that is catastrophic for the team after you "retire."

Can someone tell aeromech you need five OL? He does not seem to know.
I don't think he stopped, but I do think it was a gaping hole in his last two classes, and a problem that he himself would have faced if he had not decided to retire. That hole was just as impactful on CGC's start as the type of linemen CPJ preferred to recruit. At least it helped CGC avoid having to process out a lot of players for not having the right metrics for a tackle.

It didn't help that injuries on both lines forced us to keep moving around what few warm bodies we had in the first year either.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I don't think he stopped, but I do think it was a gaping hole in his last two classes, and a problem that he himself would have faced if he had not decided to retire. That hole was just as impactful on CGC's start as the type of linemen CPJ preferred to recruit. At least it helped CGC avoid having to process out a lot of players for not having the right metrics for a tackle.

It didn't help that injuries on both lines forced us to keep moving around what few warm bodies we had in the first year either.
CPJ recruited 6 OL in his last two classes, all of whom were 6'2" or taller. Interestingly enough, that is more OL than Clemson signed those 2 years and one less than Bama.

It didn't help that one OL went to Texas though.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
CPJ recruited 6 OL in his last two classes, all of whom were 6'2" or taller. Interestingly enough, that is more OL than Clemson signed those 2 years and one less than Bama.

It didn't help that one OL went to Texas though.
I count Maye and Harrison Jump, and two guys for 2019 that not a single Div 1 school, much less P5, wanted. Nice math there, buddy.

Oh wait... Geoff was there a whole week for the 2019 class so it is all on him and zero of 2019 is on Paulie? Is that really your position? That is some twisted, demented logic there buddy. It is almost as if you don't want to be reasonable, that you are twisting and turning technicalities in order to mislead.

But hey, let's look at 2017 2018 and 2019 and count it as three years of Johnson. Let's try to be real and not just a paper scout. Throw in a Johnson transfer, too. You have Quinney, Defoor, Minihan, Maye, and? And? And?

That's pathetic. That's pitiful. So still trying to count to 5. Johnson took his last full senior class and said adios. See ya! Wouldn't want to be ya! No depth. Limited talent. I don't care about scheme on this point. That is almost criminal what he stuck it to us.

You need three to five OL a year. Johnson went on recruiting siesta and brought in one-third of that over his last three years of recruiting. Okay. I hear you whine. His last 2.98 years of recruiting.

THWUGA

Dodd-Like except wouldn't have left the SEC
Big fan of CPJ here. But anyone thinking he didn’t leave the cupboard bare, including and especially by neglecting OL recruiting his last two years isn’t worth arguing with. Sorry, that’s just irrational. All facts say otherwise.

One can still appreciate CPJ and understand that.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
So would you guys be happier if Paul had signed a 2019 class and then retired in March? I will be glad when the season starts, either we will get a whole new set of excuses or we won't need any excuses. I am certainly tired of the same old debunked excuses that keep getting rehashed on here.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
So would you guys be happier if Paul had signed a 2019 class and then retired in March? I will be glad when the season starts, either we will get a whole new set of excuses or we won't need any excuses. I am certainly tired of the same old debunked excuses that keep getting rehashed on here.
I'd be happier if he left the program with the same level of talent he inherited. Did he do that? Did he even try?

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I'd be happier if he left the program with the same level of talent he inherited. Did he do that? Did he even try?
No coach in the history of college football has done that. Doesn't make it ok but no.