Grad Transfer OL - Kenneth Kirby

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
That is complete nonsense. That happens all the time.
Keyword being "retired" as opposed to fired.
Hyperbolic statement perhaps but I can't think of any coaches who retired and handed their successor a fully-loaded roster. The number of coaches who actually retire is pretty small to begin with.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Keyword being "retired" as opposed to fired.
Hyperbolic statement perhaps but I can't think of any coaches who retired and handed their successor a fully-loaded roster. The number of coaches who actually retire is pretty small to begin with.
Naw, the keyword is NEVER.

Yes, most retire on a downswing or at least a local min, but for coaches that built a program they pretty much always retire leaving better players than they started with. Beamer and Bowden for example.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
So would you guys be happier if Paul had signed a 2019 class and then retired in March? I will be glad when the season starts, either we will get a whole new set of excuses or we won't need any excuses. I am certainly tired of the same old debunked excuses that keep getting rehashed on here.
Would of been happier if he had signed/recruited more linemen in that year and the preceding years. The problem under discussion isn't who was head coach when signing day landed, it's the who of offensive linemen (and how many) that were on the team or had given verbal commitments when the coaching change occurred, whenever that was.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Naw, the keyword is NEVER.

Yes, most retire on a downswing or at least a local min, but for coaches that built a program they pretty much always retire leaving better players than they started with. Beamer and Bowden for example.
A few more: Bob Stoops, Chris Petersen, Barry Alvarez, Rich Brooks, Mike Bellotti, Meyer at OSU.