Graduation Statistics - BC Football and others

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a funny feeling that the school that's going to get dumped on if this ACC expansion goes through is BC! The school that has wanted this move before Syracuse and more then Syracuse. Syracuse is a "come along" because Miami wants them.

BC's stellar academics with regard to athletes speaks for itself! They manage academics and athletics well - interesting info about their academics - a real positive for them and the ACC. I hope this doesn't happen - but I keep getting this feeling .... good read here:

Eagles Honored for Football Graduation Rate
American Football Coaches Association recognizes BC's graduation rate of 90% or better

June 18, 2003

Boston College was honored Wednesday by the American Football Coaches Association as one of seven institutions nationally to record a football graduation rate of 90% or better.

The announcement came as Duke University of the Atlantic Coast Conference was named the recipient of the 2003 Academic Achievement Award, which is presented annually by the Touchdown Club of Memphis. The school recorded a 100 percent graduation rate for members of its football squad when all members of its freshman class of 1997-98 earned a degree.

BC, which has won the overall award three times, received Honorable Mention for the 10th time in the past 16 years and was one of seven institutions nationally to record a graduation rate of 90 percent or better. In addition to Duke and BC, Connecticut, Northwestern, Rice, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest were honored for the 90 percent or better rate.

"We are so proud of our football program's accomplishments, both on the playing field and in the classroom," BC Director of Athletics Gene DeFilippo says. "This is truly a testament to the discipline and values instilled in our team by Tom O'Brien and his staff. Not only have our players won 32 games and gone to four bowl games in four years, they have gone to class, and they have represented Boston College with class. Tom, his staff, our players and our Learning Resources staff deserve credit for a job well done."

The study involves the freshman class from the academic year of 1997-98, including those who entered at that time but who did not receive financial aid until after their initial year, or who transferred from another institution and subsequently received a grant-in-aid. The overall graduation rate of the 102 I-A schools that responded was 59 percent. Fifty-one of the members responding were above the average and 51 were below the average. The median graduation rate was 59 percent.

"This is the most important national ranking of all, and we are proud to be in the top seven," BC head coach Tom O'Brien says. "When football players come to Boston College, we tell them they have an opportunity to leave with a degree from one of the best Universities in the world. These young men have worked extremely hard to become winners in football, in academics, and in life. We're very proud of them."

Boston College won the AFCA Academic Achievement Award in 1992, 1995 and 1996 and received Honorable Mention in 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999 and 2003. Others receiving Honorable Mention with a rate of 70 percent or better: Ball State, Baylor, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Marshall, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Purdue, South Carolina, Southern Methodist, Southern Mississippi, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, Tulane, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Western Michigan.

Since Syracuse, Boston College, and Miami have laid it all on the line, they deserve to be the three schools invited.

Virginia and Virginia Tech have been part of the problem instead of the solution. Virginia Tech has their name on the suit to stop the expansion. I don't care if they ever get into the conference, since they are trying to hold up the expansion.

There is a good possibility Virginia Tech and another school would be added later if the conference expanded further to 14, but at this particular time Virginia and Virginia Tech are enemies to the expansion effort.

If the conference let Virginia Tech enter and either Boston College or Syracuse is left out, I hope it is Syracuse. They are not as committed and anxious to be with us as Boston College.

I think we need unity, and Boston College offers that more than Syracuse or Miami. I think their desire to be part of the expansion has been consistently positive. I have seen no wavering on their behalf.

Father Time

Indeed the state of VA does not look the better in all this. First VA votes yes to make the visits to the 3 campuses. Then the representatives come back and they waver because of the governor of the state.

Anyone filing a lawsuit against the ACC shouldn't even be considered - VT. I also question the motives of VA and could they ever be trusted in the future? They're no better then UNC and Dook!
Isn't there a word for this, BLACKMAIL!

Back