Great article on 'character' program @ UGa

Re: Great article on \'character\' program @ UGa

I agree, it was a good read. Richt is trying to expand the program to include all the players and not just the Freshmen.

There was another one-on-one interview with Richt today that damn near put water in my eyes. The guys has his head so firmly planted on his shoulders it is unreal. He stated in no uncertain terms that he wants to finish his coaching career at Georgia. I breathed a sigh of relief!

It will be intereting to see who Bama goes after now that coach Fran is history. That use to be the most coveted job in college football and now it's a revolving door with further sanctions on the way.

It's also a well written piece. I liked the fact that Brandon Williams spoke to the group about how the wrong place can turn your life upside down. Really every college athlete, because they are higher profile than normal student body, should have something like this going on.
I'll bet a dozen schools do it next yr & 3 dozen the yr after that.

...good propaganda tool to appeal to recruits parents no doubt...

I am a little tired of all the accolades about CMR in paper, radio, and ON OUR BOARD!! Many coaches have wonderful programs for their kids, but you don't hear them yak about it all the time! Really.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
...good propaganda tool to appeal to recruits parents no doubt...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with Ramblewise here... for one, I think its sad that a young man offered a scholly would need a "character class"...

I guess George Foster attended the class on the days they were discussing "belly flopping"

ramblinwise -

Recruiting propaganda tool? Give me a break! This character building program for freshmen was born out of CMR's desire to help freshmen adjust to the pressures of high profile athletics at UGA. At the end of Donnan's tenure and early on in 2001 UGA's football team was suffering from a rash of off the field conduct issues. Instead of sweeping these problems under the rug Richt did some research and found a character building program he felt was applicable to athletes. Since this is the first year of the program it was only designed for freshmen. Because of the positive results and endorsement of players Richt is going to broaden the program to include the entire team.

Suggesting this was instituted for recruiting propaganda purposes is ridiculous. If this program continues to prove to be successful then I'm sure it will be used as an additional feature for recruits to consider. Given the immaturity of many young athletes it is irresponsible that this type of program isn't the norm throughout Div. 1 schools.

Great article. I said at the time Richt was hired at Ugag that we let one of the best get away.

Back