GT Can defeat Auburn...

Sports Forum West

Varsity Lurker
To Stateline, I agree and that's why I mentioned Bilbo.. and since I am a writer and do not gamble, not I am not a betting man. But if I were I would take BYU +22 against USC and GT +8 against Auburn. GT at least scored against BYU. Also, BYU's ofense showed moments of excellence. If that young QB of theirs learns to trust his receivers and gets into a rythm, they are going to be one fine football team. SC may have more questionmarks on offense then they answered. Still they scored five times on the Tigers. BYU's athletes (D) are not as good as Auburn's defenders. A week will make a huge difference for Ball and for BYU's Berry. I don't like the favorites in either of these games.

Guys... this "sports writer" is a BYU homer. Trust me if USC can dismantle Auburn like that they will do more of the same to BYU. I know you love BYU but Auburn > BYU.

Thanks for the kind words.

So I guess Beesnut, watching Norm Chow call plays for 20+ years at BYU does two things, makes me a "homer" and therefor incapable of making a rational judgement about style and personnel matchups, etc. If athletes were the ones that won games then why didn't Auburn kick the crap out of USC. they had 4 returning lineman and one starting receiver back, plus their # 3 goto guy. Other than that, they had nothing compared to Auburn and yet Auburn got their a$$es whipped by another one of those gimmicky western football teams. Some of you guys just amaze me. Funny thing, a few of the TECH players when asked about BYU said, They his as hard as anyone else we play! DU! As for Georgia Tech, WIN! YOU CAN!

No sportwriter it doesn't have much to do with Auburn. USC's defense is one of the best I have ever seen. Right up there with the dominant FSU defenses. BYU has never beaten FSU and they won't fare well against USC either. USC took Auburn's offense out of the game and that was that.

So please enlighten me with your prediction for the BYU/USC game.

In the first place, all I said was that I think BYU will beat the spread. I didn't predict they would win the game. Having said that....

I also think BYU's defense is much better than what they needed to show on Thursday night. I've watched New Mexico play it (3-3-5) for 25 years with much lesser athletes and trust me, BYU used precious little of it against TECH. THey held back a lot of what they've been learning to do. They will not hold back against CHOW and USC.

In the last decade, BYU has pretty much played it's PAC-10 counterparts dead even or beaten them. They aren't cowering under their beds over faster athletes and good defenses.

If BYU can keep from turning the ball over it should be a close game. A three TD spread is possible, but not likely. SC's offense was capitalistic, but not great against an athletic but vanilla defense at Auburn.

Intangeables... Finally, BYU has had CHOW and SC circled for two years. Don't think they don't believe they can beat the guy. So if BYU shuts chow's offense down and it ends up being a low scoring affair then the best special teams play and team which gets the most breaks will win. Of course I favor USC by about a touchdown.

Originally posted by Sports Forum West:
In the first place, all I said was that I think BYU will beat the spread. I didn't predict they would win the game. Having said that....

I also think BYU's defense is much better than what they needed to show on Thursday night. I've watched New Mexico play it (3-3-5) for 25 years with much lesser athletes and trust me, BYU used precious little of it against TECH. THey held back a lot of what they've been learning to do. They will not hold back against CHOW and USC.

In the last decade, BYU has pretty much played it's PAC-10 counterparts dead even or beaten them. They aren't cowering under their beds over faster athletes and good defenses.

If BYU can keep from turning the ball over it should be a close game. A three TD spread is possible, but not likely. SC's offense was capitalistic, but not great against an athletic but vanilla defense at Auburn.

Intangeables... Finally, BYU has had CHOW and SC circled for two years. Don't think they don't believe they can beat the guy. So if BYU shuts chow's offense down and it ends up being a low scoring affair then the best special teams play and team which gets the most breaks will win. Of course I favor USC by about a touchdown.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">"held back a lot!" It's not as if they needed to hold back anything. They didnt need it in the first place. How hard is it to defend against 6 plays continuously run by the opposing team? I actually think playing the "Gailey Offense" may make them more confident than they should be. They better watch out. Then again, USC could be thinking the same, even though they have tremendously better athletes.

Every football writer, myself included, didn't give USC a great chance against Auburn. Heck there are a lot of folks that thought Auburn might be the #1 team in the country. Well on paper dosn't stop a Lou Holtz sized halfback on grass. SC took it to them on their own field. Actually three Southern Teams looked pretty bad this week as Oregon just pummeled Mississippi State in Starkville. Tech looked better then either of those purportedly powerful SEC squads. No I still think the Auburn game is a tough road for Goergia Tech. But dang if doesn't look like you guys could defeat them at home and you should. Now go get 'em!

To do that I think you can learn from SC's smallish, but aggressive defense. Play like SC and you'll win. Get DB in volved with the game. Let Ball use his wheels to open up the game. Maybe CG should try a few wrinkles that gets Suggs and Ball into the game at the same time. Suggs can catch can't he?

Play hard nose defense. Keep Auburn thinking they are impotent and they will be.

Actually I picked USC over Auburn and Oregon over Mississippi State in our football pool at work. Missed on Tech over BYU. Mississippi State's Jackie Sherrill is on his own hot seat and Auburn I felt was overrated. I overrated my own Georgia Tech until I saw the coaching effort against BYU. Not anymore. Oh you maybe correct about some of your suggestions giving us a chance on Saturday against Auburn but don't hold your breath on seeing any of them. P.S. I would substitute Damarius Bilbo in your A.J. Suggs suggestions.

But dang if doesn't look like you guys could defeat them at home and you should. Now go get 'em!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">SFW,

So, for the record, are you taking or giving the points in the Tech/awBARN game?
confused.gif

since I am a writer and do not gamble, not I am not a betting man. But if I were I would take BYU +22 against USC and GT +8 against Auburn.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">lucky for you that you don't gamble, b/c if you're picking GT +8, you would be what they call in the industry, a "LOSER".

Hey DD, We see you finally got on the third shift. Are you planning on saving that $.10 shift differential, or wagering it?

Oh,Tech CAN beat AU but will it ?No,no depth even if the first units play perfect (which they of course,won't).
I also will take 22 and BYU (if they can cut their penalties)even though that USC def is AWESOME.

I've let a few days go by and want to revisit a couple of things. First of all, the more I think about Auburn, the more I believe Tech can defeat them. Neither team showed much offensive punch in game one. But Auburn may be reading too much about USC's vaunted defense and press clippings thinking, it gets a lot easier. And with Tech it certainly does get a little easier. But consider this:

USC (So Cal) shut down most every running team it faced last year. It played several at seasons' end so picking up against Auburn's smash mouth offense wasn't that difficult. SoCal played tight coverage on the corners and stacked the box - same way they defeated Oregon St, Notre Dame and other mostly one dimensional teams. Where USC had difficulty was against passing teams and balanced attacks. As good as they were at the end of the year, I am not sure USC hadn't finally gotten into a series of games that fit their defensive style better and nothing more. Don't get me wrong I think they are a great defense. But the reason BYU might give them fits is they didn't defend any pass happy teams very well and lost their two games that way. They have a green secondary this time.

As for Auburn which is what everyone here really cares about, it also means that they showed nothing versus SoCal and what will improve against TECH? Are they suddenly going to execute better or become creative in their play calling.

TT stunk it up last Saturday and while CG showed precious little genius as well. My take is that in a battle of ego schools (football being a religious dogma) without bank to back up the checks they've written (both are 0-1) I think TECH should be able to WIN AT HOME! Dang I hope so anyway.

You all are great fun here by the way. Go Jackets.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Back