GT line out, is it too big?

I am sure its my gold glasses talking here... but I look for us to play a very good game Sat night...

How do we perform historically against the spread? I don't bet the games, so I don't follow it closely, but it seems to me from casual looking that Tech usually doesn't cover these types of spreads - large margins against teams perceived to be weaker.

This one seems high to me, given the relative inexperience of the offense in the QB and RB areas. Without good play here, points will be at a premium and 21 1/2 is a big number. If I recall, we had a similar line against UCF in Godsey's first game as a starter and barely squeeked it out.

GO JACKETS!!

I am just concerned our offense will struggle a little bit and the "fear" of the unknown is evident in my mind. I should be positive and take it as aggressive opportunity!!! GO JACKETS. Damn I feel better already!!

I'll take us +21', only because there are so many unknowns that betting on a recurrence of 2001 form (which is essentially what this line is saying) seems highly irresponsible. Also both teams look defensively oriented this year so 21.5 points is bigger than it would be for more offensive teams (like GT and VU last year).

We might be as bad as last year, and hence 21.5 points worse than Tech, but it's less than a 50-50 proposition IMO.

Originally posted by GT98:
Saw the opening line on the yahoo site...

GT - 21 1/2 seems like a lot of points...

pick 'em
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Considering our past performances in home openers, I'd say that this is way too high. I'm confident we have what it takes to win, but if I were a betting man (which I'm not) I'd take Vandy and the points.

BBR

VU is not Navy, Citadel, or Duke so I figure the final will be something like 21 (24) Tech 10 VU I also figure 21 1/2 is way too much.

that number is insane

sure we could beat Vandy by 22 points

this game will be in doubt until the 4th, Tech will pull away

Vandy's average road performance last year was a 25 point loss. (That's including BIG blowout loss to Florida and 14-point win over Duke, but those pretty much average out.)

Vandy's average performance in season openers on the road is a 20-point loss (6 examples since 1990).

So based on Vandy's history, it doesn't seem outrageous.

On the other hand, in home openers we have won by an average of only 17 points since 1995, and only 9 points if you throw out Furman and the Citadel.

Of course, since we both have new coaches and all the other variables, it's pretty much a crap shoot anyway!

If we play well, 21 points sounds about right. If we play poorly, then we will not win by that much.

The past history of a team does not mean as much when the team has new coaches, so Vandy's past spread with opening games means little this year.

It is a tough call for the bookies. Both teams have new coaches and there is plenty of room for mistakes for both teams.

Vandy seems to have the advantage of returning starters at quarterback. Tech has the advantage of retaining last years OC, the addition of an excellent DC, and overall talent.

This first game will reveal a lot to us Tech fans to assess our overall chances this year.

drinking.gif

Vandy doesn't return their starting QB - Zolman was the starter last year.

Vandy announced today that a RS Freshman is the starter. Sounds like it was a close race. The other guy will play. They both sound athletic, big, and able to run the option. I personally welcome the option. If we can play good assignment football think our speed on D wish shine. If they are able to do multiple things well on O, such as we will try to do, the option will be hard to defend. Wake last year is an example. Going to be hard to run on all cylinders early in season with a multiple offense. Be interesting. I honestly don't know what to expect from Vandy. Don't know much about what Furman did in recent years.

If GT comes ready to play and does not make any mistakes, I'd say 21 points is a good moglichkeit (possibility).
drinking.gif

I agree w/the Vandy fan.

GT's recent history against the spread has been such that we are terrfic as a dog and not so good as a favorite as far as covering. The number looks high to me simply because it is the first game of the season; if this game were in Oct./Nov., it would look right to me. I expect GT (barring significant injuiries) to be a much better team at year's end than in week 1.

We'll see, not long now...

Sorry, thought I had read an earlier thread that Vandy had two good experienced QBs returning. Possibly, I have it mixed up with a thread about another opponent.

pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

Back