GT Needs TO Make A Commitment

Originally posted by Emoroid:
I think any new degree programs have to be approved by the Board of Regents, and that might be difficult. I've often thought that if GT had a degree in Education with an emphasis on math and science it would be easier on the athletes and fulfill a genuine need in the high schools.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">. .
Great Idea!!!

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Diverse academic programs bring in a diverse group of people... Problem with Tech there is not enough intellectual diversity... Not enough diversity period... You learn from people who have different goals, thoughts, needs, backgroundds, etc... The academics at Tech are topnotch... The social experience is lower tier... There's more to life & job success than learning how to execute autocad...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">umm...what are people expecting then they come to an institute of technology? majors in anthropology? Hell, I went to high school in Florida and I knew what Tech was about. Everyone has always known its a tough engineering school with few females (which is not a problem with Tech, look at your math/science classrooms in high school).

I'm not sure what you mean by a lack of diversity. Have you stepped foot on the Tech campus? We graduate the most number of blacks engineers. There are plenty of other ethnic groups and there are plenty of students from other states.

The social experience is what students make of it. If they want stay in their rooms playing whatever game for a thousand hours, thats their business. I spent five years at Tech and very few weekends in my dorm.

There's more to life & job success than learning how to execute autocad...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dude, have you ever met any engineers or Tech grads??

Thanks N.C...........I didn't either but I sure do not feel proud to make it known, as some seem to be....if there was one academic wish I could have, it would be that I was a G.T grad. If I were intelligently mathmatically enough gifted, or athletically inclined enough, (at the right time) I could have been.Until then, I am 100% a Georgia Tech supporter: With a B.A.at a rather famous/well-known, liberal arts university. Also as the recipient of a Masters Degree at a not as well know institution: I don't care if Alvin York or Forrest Sawyer were the coach. I love Tech and I would support him and the program.......period!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:
let me jump in at this point and state unequivocally that O'Leary was great for Tech.

O'Leary was great for Tech and Tech was great for O'Leary. It was sad to see him leave. He did leave on a sour note after a mediocre season which had really high expectations.

The resume thing really came into picture because of ND. Had O'Leary not left Tech, he would not have been tarnished because of that.

O'Leary did accomplish great things at Tech, granted with the Fridge as his OC. they were a great team and it was sad to lose them both.

We have moved on now. Support who's here. If he fails .. Tech fails. If he succeeds .. Tech succeeds. If he does fail .. he will be replaced.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ylojk8: Good post about George!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ylojk8 good post about support the coach we have now.

We need for Clough to give a commitment to athletics or he and others need to go. They need to get rid of a few now, such as Braine, Carol Moore, Bob Thomas, and Larry New. The stadium will not do our program any good if we can't keep players in school.

I also believe that Clough needs to make improving the competitiveness of our major revenue sports one of his top two or thrre priorities - whatever that entails, e.g., petitioning the Board of Regents to allow GT to offer less technically rigorous majors, allowing joint degree programs with Ga. State, and/or just doing everything in his power to make it easier for our SAs to succeed academically.

I am always glad to see GT's sphere of influence growing academically and in terms of research dollars, but I personally feel that Clough needs to spend more of his energy in ensuring that our major revenue sports programs have every chance to excel. I am not concerned about GT's ability to grow and prosper in the academic/research arena; I am very much concerned with our ability to continue to be competitive in the two major revenue producing sports. The balance needs to be restored.

Back