GT not mentioned much in AJC's SUPER 11 in Ga.

Re: GT not mentioned much in AJC\'s SUPER 11 in Ga.

Originally posted by nathogt:
In a certain way, your explanation of how recruiting rankings are formed seems to validate the rankings.

Good teams recruit good players.

If several good teams are recruiting a player, he must be good.

A good recruiting class has many players who are being pursued by many good teams.

I don't know about the ND situation. But speed is one thing that the recruiting services do know about. Clocking a 40 is the easiest part of assessing a player there is. I'm guessing that Holtz built a team on power and not speed and that Davies felt that speed was needed to win but lacking.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">1) Yes...recruiting rankings are based almost solely on what schools recruited them. However, the schools has to be good FIRST before it helps a kids rating to be recruited by them. So which comes first...the chicken or the egg?

2) Regarding speed. Forty time is an indicator but little else. There is a big difference between track speed and football speed. There are many receiver that can post a 4.4 forty time...but they catch the ball at a 4.7. On defense, many a safety can post a 4.5 on the track...but they hit at a 4.8.

Originally posted by nathogt:
Speaking of kickers. I notice David Jordan is our #2 guy. I also notice that he was fairly well regarded by recruiting services. Has anyone been watching him? How does he look?

I tend to buy into the recruiting rankings. I don't think many perenial powers run on mediocre recruits.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Remember Kai Cornwell during the Coach O era? He was rated 1st team All-American by USAToday out of high school...the number one kicker in the land. We signed him...and I believe he never even kicked an extra point.

Walker the RB from Buford looks like a good prospect for us, doesn't mention UGAg. Must want an education. Imagine that.

Or it could have something to do with the fact that UGA has one of last year's Super 11 RBs in Kregg Lumpkin already on the roster and has a committment from one of this year's fellow Super 11 RBs in Thomas Brown out of Tucker.

In addition, both Lumpkin and Brown were/are ranked among the top RBs in the country (along with Walker) by most recruiting publications.

Or maybe he just doesn't like UGA. Either way, I can almost guaranty you that it's not because he thinks UGA can't give him an adequate education.

Back