GT to SEC? No, but...

RamblinPeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems that theres a lot of talk on the Hive, and amongst the Tech faithful that they want to try to go back to the SEC. I'm realistic enough to know that the chances of that happening are slim to none, but, with Curry likely coming in as AD, it makes for interesting discussion.

Seems that one of the big arguments being put forth against the conference is acadmics. I just don't understand this. Seems to me, that it doesn't matter as this is athletics, not a quiz bowl meet, and that for the most part the ACC may be a little better, but the differnces arent huge. We have NCSU/Clemson/FSU/Miami/VT in conference now, and those aren't exactly stellar schools, but just as well respected in their area/region as most SEC schools.

I almost hope for a major shift in conferences that would put us with more regional opponents. Do I want GT to be in the SEC, no, but I would like to play teams that I deal with alumni/fans of and can travel to without too much trouble and a hotel stay. Theres 9 teams in states that touch ours, we play 3 of them, 4 every now and then with FSU. I hate to see a great game like Auburn/GT die out, and I would love to have Vandy as a standing cupcake over Duke.

What an amazing conference that would be.
GT
The hydrant humpers
Clemson
USC-E
UF
FSU
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vandy
Miss State
Ole Miss

I know it will never happen, and I don't expect it to, but that would be an incredible regular season year in and year out. Lets get our mind off the shafting, and have a little discussion, come on boys, tear this apart and call me old and need to move on.

My opinion is that GT couldn\'t ask for much more

in terms of the potential of the ACC.

The ACC is a huge part of the reason why GT's basketball recruiting class was #5. It is my opinion that if we ever went back to a lesser conference we would be a nobody once again. In your superconference we would be dominant in the conference early then when we stop getting top 10 classes we might still win conference games, but we would get pummelled in the dance. Worst case we revert back to pre-Cremins and we start losing to UGA more than occasionally.

Also, I have seen noone dispute the notion that GT's only way to pass UGA footballwise is for the ACC to pass the SEC decisively and then start outrecruiting them. It isn't as farfetched as it seemed three years ago when expansion was a rumor and the SEC was placing twice as many pros as the ACC.

Re: My opinion is that GT couldn\'t ask for much mo

[ QUOTE ]
The ACC is a huge part of the reason why GT's basketball recruiting class was #5. It is my opinion that if we ever went back to a lesser conference we would be a nobody once again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't take it that far but the ACC is a big reason top ballers come to GT, if you see the recruiting rankings every year the majority of the blue chippers have at least two ACC school in the mix (a.k.a their short list). But getting back to football I think we should not jump the gun on a move back to the SEC, let's wait until the new ACC solidifies and we get a new bowl realigment deal and evaluate things from there on.

[ QUOTE ]

The ACC is a huge part of the reason why GT's basketball recruiting class was #5. It is my opinion that if we ever went back to a lesser conference we would be a nobody once again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree more, GTCrew. AND: it's way premature to give up on football in the ACC. Didn't I just read on here 3 weeks or so ago that Bill Curry said publicly that the ACC was on the rise, and the SEC on the slide down? Most posters here were gloating about that, but as soon as we got into a 2nd-tier bowl game, they think the SEC is #1. Geeze.

[ QUOTE ]

The ACC is a huge part of the reason why GT's basketball recruiting class was #5. It is my opinion that if we ever went back to a lesser conference we would be a nobody once again. In your superconference we would be dominant in the conference early then when we stop getting top 10 classes we might still win conference games, but we would get pummelled in the dance. Worst case we revert back to pre-Cremins and we start losing to UGA more than occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

While that may be somewhat true, I think ACC basketball has the same insane ego that SEC football has, though at this point basketball is much more deserving. Theres great teams, yes, but theres other great teams too.

That being said, we don't have 4 national championships in basketball. I want us to have all the success in the world under CPH, and I think we will, but I'll take a BCS berth over a final four any day of the week.

And one more thing: if we'd gone 9-2 and beaten UGA, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Between our school admin., our AD, and our coaching staff, we and not some conference head office or bowl selection committees should be able to control our fortunes.

Agree with both of you (RP and Non-G).
Just as Tech has benefitted in Bball recruiting in the acc, I think we would see the same with football in the sec.

The acc will always be a Bball conference. The NC contingent will make sure of that. The football oriented schools will leave the conference before the nc based acc will change its ways.
In a way, I wish that fsu had lost to vpi just to see Swofford try to tell Bowdon he was going to Boise or san Francisco or nashville, but not charlotte. That may have brought this thing to a head!

I would be happy if we and the football powers of the acc formed the superconference with the sec, and the nc basketball schools joined with the Big east basketball schools. Why not?

By the way Non-G, I wrote a similar "superconference" thought over on the hive yesterday, buried deeply inside that SEC post.
I believe that this will be the evolution of the ncaa.

I\'ll tell you the difference.

Due to AAU the highest ranked players in BB are really the best players. Occasionally an import upsets the apple cart.

In football, the best players may stand out, but the good players are impossible to tell from the great players because the competition is not level.

In basketball, with three times as many games and the tournaments, the conferences can be adequately compared. In Football, with 5-6 head-to head data points max, it is hard to compare the conferences.

Other than UK, which SEC school has consistently had recruiting classes in our league? Maybe UF recently... How many ACC schools made the top 25 and what was the next highest conference?

I don't disagree that a BCS may be better than a Final 4. But how would GT in the SEC make it easier to get in the BCS? And I certainly don't agree with throwing BB under a bus unless it GUARANTEED it.

Re: I\'ll tell you the difference.

Quite a contrast to the argument we've had for many years--Which conference is the strongest? Seems many are ready to move to the SEC?? Those in favor must believe the SEC is the strongest. (well at least this year it appears so after reviewing the rankings.) Braine better make some changes(along with the other ADs of the ACC) or we're gonna get steamed rolled!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/behead.gif

Re: I\'ll tell you the difference.

[ QUOTE ]
It appears that many who post here are nothing more than hippocrits! Many of you consistantly down play the SEC and now some of you are ready to join them. Get real!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all football related.

I think "hypocrite" is too strong a word here. There has always been a pretty big number of those that would gladly admit to wanting back in the sec. I am one of those.
There's also a pretty large group that wants desperately for the acc to be recognized as superior to the sec. This has looked more like envy than anything.

I think another group was extremely happy about the acc, but the provincial leadership of the acc has told many that this will be a basketball conference, and you had better be from north carolina.

Of all the schools in the acc, I believe that Swoffard and his fellows would love nothing more than Ga. Tech to leave.

When Tech proved it wasn't going to be the Bball patsy it wanted by beating beloved deano smith 3 times in 1985, our welcome was over.

Before anyone goes nuts, there is exaggeration in this. However, I do feel that the sec is a much better fit for Tech.
Sadly, for me and plenty of others, I don't see us being invited to join.

To answer your question RP, like the Big10, the ACC also now has an academic/research component building separate the athletic side.

The SEC schools versions (absent UF, U[sic]GA, and Vandy--all fine schools) would be discussing lincoln log designs.

We are not a fit in the SEC. The faculty would never allow it. Its called standards. In fact, UF faculty have wanted OUT for some time now. I can't imagine how they feel up in Nashville. The only reason U[sic]GA is a good school is they have gotten a lot of cash from the state and produced some outstanding scholars in the past.

I honestly think the ACC will surpass the SEC in football over the next 10 years. We are light years ahead in other sports. Why? TV money and developing rivalries amongst the schools that play football (non-charter members plus Clemson)I feel as pumped about the Clemson game as the Auburn game and other rivalries are gaining speed as well. In 10 years--VT will be a huge game for us. Miami---give it some time. The truth is, the ACC offers us better TV coverage and in time the fan bases will catch up. Eventually we too will have sidewalk fans. The difference between us and the SEC--we'll be someplace you'd brag about sending your smart kids to for school.

Back