GT vs Miami Postponed

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Betting Miami would have a fair number of their top guys opting out of a game that is only played after they’ve been eliminated from the ACC race in mid December.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Per Miami, all three of their remaining games have been postponed. @Wake moved from 11/28 to 12/5, UNC moved from 12/5 to 12/12, and GT moved to 12/19.

Some other Wake and UNC games have been moved up to accommodate.

JRjr

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
So the result of our overzealous Covid precautions has been (a) to be eligible to play games our opponents cancel, and (b) to be underprepared for games we do play.

I suppose they make sense from an ethical standpoint and as far as doing what's best for our players, which has been Collins' philosophy.

This season ought not to count like a normal season. There shouldn't be playoffs.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I can't edit my last post but "overzealous" was the wrong choice of words. I think our Covid precautions were appropriate but they seem beyond those that most teams take and to have competitively disadvantaged us.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
So the result of our overzealous Covid precautions has been (a) to be eligible to play games our opponents cancel, and (b) to be underprepared for games we do play.

I suppose they make sense from an ethical standpoint and as far as doing what's best for our players, which has been Collins' philosophy.

This season ought not to count like a normal season. There shouldn't be playoffs.
In what ways does any season really “count”? It’s kids playing a game (while others rake in big money); nothing more

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
In what ways does any season really “count”? It’s kids playing a game (while others rake in big money); nothing more
I mean as far as college football history. Records, championships, etc. It is an abnormal season so should not be kept in comparison to the others.

Also championships and other accomplishments are not as meaningful in this season because there hasn't been as much competition (fewer games, less interconference play).

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
So far the only example of a) is the Miami game, and I’m not entirely convinced we’d have been ready to play that one depending on how things have changed since late last week.

What do you attribute to b)? The only thing I recall the staff attributing to that was the kick blocking against FSU, a game we won. Other than that, I’m not sure how to distinguish “underprepared” from “outmanned” and “just not very good.”

JRjr

The Jacket

The Coat
I’m not sure how to distinguish “underprepared” from “outmanned” and “just not very good.”
I have no doubt one moron or another will be along shortly to help you with that. May as well start drinking now.

edit:
The only thing I recall the staff attributing to that was the kick blocking against FSU
What was said about this? I can't remember this part.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
edit: What was said about this? I can't remember this part.
I’m too lazy to look it up, but I think Collins said something about not practicing kicks 11-on-11 in preseason because it put the most guys in close proximity to each other, or something. Basically not practicing kicks against live defense, so our blocking was a mess.

(On a similar note, Navy apparently didn’t do live tackling in preseason, and their defense got torched in their first game. Their coach basically said it was on him for the way they chose to practice.)

JRjr

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I’m too lazy to look it up, but I think Collins said something about not practicing kicks 11-on-11 in preseason because it put the most guys in close proximity to each other, or something. Basically not practicing kicks against live defense, so our blocking was a mess.

(On a similar note, Navy apparently didn’t do live tackling in preseason, and their defense got torched in their first game. Their coach basically said it was on him for the way they chose to practice.)

JRjr
Yeah that was it. He said when we normally practice XP/FG unit, they do a ton of reps in a row, and you basically have 22 guys all jumbled together in the box for an extended period of time. So they figured that was probably not the wisest/safest thing to be doing at this juncture and approached that differently. Basically didn't have any live kicking practice prior to the FSU game it sounded like.

EDIT: I did sort of wonder though why he didn't just tweak his XP/FG practice session rather than totally eliminate the live aspect of it. Still could've gotten some live practice in it seems.

GTROY

Damn Good Rat
I can't edit my last post but "overzealous" was the wrong choice of words. I think our Covid precautions were appropriate but they seem beyond those that most teams take and to have competitively disadvantaged us.
Certainly agree. It seems we used an abundance of caution, which in general I agree with.

Tough to say with other teams. It's weird to see how all of the tumult has affected different teams. Penn State is 0-4 after starting the season in the top 10.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
So far the only example of a) is the Miami game, and I’m not entirely convinced we’d have been ready to play that one depending on how things have changed since late last week.

What do you attribute to b)? The only thing I recall the staff attributing to that was the kick blocking against FSU, a game we won. Other than that, I’m not sure how to distinguish “underprepared” from “outmanned” and “just not very good.”

JRjr
Could be wrong but I don't believe Pitt was really a mutual cancellation due to Covid. They probably wanted to cancel and we were probably just being nice and saying "OK, that's cool, we have a couple guys out with Covid too." Stansbury then claims we had big problems to placate fans. Note that Stansbury listed injuries ahead of Covid in his Pitt cancellation justification.

It's possible we were just taking advantage of the Pitt Covid situation to get more practice time and to get healthier injury-wise...

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Could be wrong but I don't believe Pitt was really a mutual cancellation due to Covid. They probably wanted to cancel and we were probably just being nice and saying "OK, that's cool, we have a couple guys out with Covid too." Stansbury then claims we had big problems to placate fans. Note that Stansbury listed injuries ahead of Covid in his Pitt cancellation justification.

It's possible we were just taking advantage of the Pitt Covid situation to get more practice time and to get healthier injury-wise...
I agree with this. CGC said today that had Miami not cancelled, we were ready to play Saturday. So apparently not many COVID/contact tracing cases for us and most apparently would have been back.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
with
TStan email on the Pitt postponement: “For our team in particular, a combination of on-field injuries, Covid-19 contact tracing, and a relatively low number of positive Covid-19 tests left us unable to field the requisite number of student-athletes needed to compete, particularly at certain positions.”

It’ll be interesting to compare the verbiage when they officially announce this week’s postponement.

JRjr
Play with the players you have. There are 100 players available including walk-ons.
Our local high school team won a playoff game with 34 players out. This is ridiculous.

The Jacket

The Coat
Play with the players you have. There are 100 players available including walk-ons.
Our local high school team won a playoff game with 34 players out. This is ridiculous.
The one nearest me made the playoffs with a single win. Ridiculous is one way of saying it.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Yeah that was it. He said when we normally practice XP/FG unit, they do a ton of reps in a row, and you basically have 22 guys all jumbled together in the box for an extended period of time. So they figured that was probably not the wisest/safest thing to be doing at this juncture and approached that differently. Basically didn't have any live kicking practice prior to the FSU game it sounded like.

EDIT: I did sort of wonder though why he didn't just tweak his XP/FG practice session rather than totally eliminate the live aspect of it. Still could've gotten some live practice in it seems.
Our FG unit sucked last year as well; not sure their struggles are Covid related — hell we’ve made 4 FGs and missed like 10 xp in 2 seasons. We don’t have a clue what we’re doing there. His comments were Just Collins blowing his usual smoke

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Our FG unit sucked last year as well; not sure their struggles are Covid related — hell we’ve made 4 FGs and missed like 10 xp in 2 seasons. We don’t have a clue what we’re doing there. His comments were Just Collins blowing his usual smoke
We didn't have an execution problem though by the unit as a whole last year. Our kickers flat sucked. Wesley Wells completely lost it between the ears to hear what insiders said (and to witness in pre-games last year). Kid was shanking short attempts off the stand. He missed an XP in a game that wasn't close. King just never lived up to the hype and/or his potential. I believe he got injured somewhere in his career at GT also and that could've played a part. He grad transferred to Liberty, but isn't even on the roster there now either.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
We didn't have an execution problem though by the unit as a whole last year. Our kickers flat sucked. Wesley Wells completely lost it between the ears to hear what insiders said (and to witness in pre-games last year). Kid was shanking short attempts off the stand. He missed an XP in a game that wasn't close. King just never lived up to the hype and/or his potential. I believe he got injured somewhere in his career at GT also and that could've played a part. He grad transferred to Liberty, but isn't even on the roster there now either.
Come for the football; stay for the university president's wife!