Gtmg Thread

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Various quotes below by gtmg followed by my remarks in parentheses.

gtmg quote

I find it hard to believe that after two practices Billbo is out. He has the physical ability and the right attitude. Sounds like the only thing missing to me is quality coaching.

(Gtmg, you may be correct, O'Brien was the quarterback coach for Bilbo for the last two years. It is possible Bilbo did not receive quality quarterback coaching during the past two years.)

gtmg quote

Bilbo ranked #1 or #2 in the country when recruited. Ball was ranked #15 with no where near this kind of stats nor did he get out of the first round of the state playoffs. He is a fine athlete but the truth is DBo has the physical tools on him and IMHO the skills as well.

(It seems someone else has already corrected the ratings of Ball and Bilbo. They stated Ball and Bilbo were both rated pretty equal in the nation, somewhere around #20. You probably have Bilbo confused with his State rating.)

(You stated the "truth" is Bilbo has the physical tools on Ball and skills as well. There is no way to determine this. The physical tools for quarterback may be a quicker player as opposed to a bigger slower player.)

(It all depends on the type of offense to be used. There is no way you can prove he has the QB skills on Ball. The only thing we can say for sure is Bilbo is bigger and possibly stronger. All that can equate to is possibly Bilbo can compete at more positions than Ball. You are grasping at straws.)

gtmg quote

How much you wanna bet that RF has been on the phone this week to Dbo?

(I would be willing to bet you Friegden has not even attempted to contact Bilbo.)

gtmg quote

Blackwatch, I am saying that Curry left it low for Ross and Lewis left it empty for O'Leary to talk about a different error.

(How do you determine Curry left the cupboard bare for Ross and Lewis left the cupboard empty for O'Leary? What basis are you using? Curry had his best years just before Ross took over. How does that equate to a bare cupboard? Are you going by recruiting ratings for those years? If so, produce them for us.)

(I thought Bill Lewis lost because there were morale problems on the team and not recruiting deficiencies. Do you have the recruiting ratings for the Lewis years? Can you substantiate your claims here?)

gtmg quote

One more thing on the nice side, I will tell you that when I met BL he was one of the most engaging and nice people that you could ever meet and I would think most people who met him would say the same. He was not succesful at Tech and what I see as very similiar issues to Gailey. We should be able to learn from our past.

(You are saying that Bill Lewis and Gailey are very nice people. Are you also saying that nice people cannot win? Two of the nicest coaches I have ever seen were Bobby Dodd and Tom Landry of the Dallas Cowboys. It is evident they were highly successful.)

gtmg quote

Seem like I remember that season ending with a very positive note with a solid victory over a ranked Stanford team. That is a much different taste that an ass whooping by UGA like no other in history and a beating by Fresno State.

(Ah, but O'Leary did not coach in the bowl game. We might have lost had he coached against Stanford. In fact, O'Leary was 7-6 in his last 13 games. The same as Gailey in his first 13 games. O'Leary lost his last 3 out of 4 games in 2001 the same as Gailey did in 2002. So where is the beef?)

Father Time

Ahso, you might as well give it up. There are so many arm chair Quarterbacks that think they know it all. As soon as they can admit like the rest of us, that they indeed don't know squat, they'll continue making assinine posts.

However, I agree with what you said in every aspect.

Also, i'd like to add a couple of more things.
1.) Bill Lewis lost because he had absolutely NO control over the team. The players Never respected him and i know this as fact as I had friends that were on that team. It also doesn't help when you got players out drinking and smoking pot two nights before the game. i won't mention what players, but there were some, and some of them even started. I saw it with my own eyes as I was in school then. The Chan and Lewis comparison is complete horse crap.

2.) Like you said, Curry left Ross in fine shape. Ross took over a team that was coming off two winning seasons and two years removed from winning 9 games. Ross proceeded to tank the team into a 2-9 team.

People need to educate themselves before they go spouting off at the mouths like they know what's up.

Just to add a little more. If we had a Stingtalk when Ross took over and could dredge up the archives you could probably peel paint with what would have been posted. Any of you old enough to remember the transition year will also remember the shock most of us felt as that year unfolded. No way anyone expected us to go 2-9. We were coming off 9-3 and 6-4-1 (IIRC) years, Curry had been recruiting very well, and we thought the addition of Ross meant a bowl game and continued improvement of the program. We were beating UNC in the fourth quarter in the second game when the team literally fell apart. There was no excuse for what followed. Ross cleaned house and started over, but the talent on hand sure didn't predict that.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Just to add a little more. If we had a Stingtalk when Ross took over and could dredge up the archives you could probably peel paint with what would have been posted. Any of you old enough to remember the transition year will also remember the shock most of us felt as that year unfolded. No way anyone expected us to go 2-9. We were coming off 9-3 and 6-4-1 (IIRC) years, Curry had been recruiting very well, and we thought the addition of Ross meant a bowl game and continued improvement of the program. We were beating UNC in the fourth quarter in the second game when the team literally fell apart. There was no excuse for what followed. Ross cleaned house and started over, but the talent on hand sure didn't predict that.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Curry was 5-5-1 his last year. Actually the Lewis scenario and Ross scenario were similar. There were attitude and "extracurricular" problems left over from the Curry team as well.

But WRECKED..The most important point IS: It takes any new coach a few years to get in his own players that fit HIS system..At Tech this (History proves it) 3 to 4 years to get really rolling...Gailey has shown me he knows what he is doing by moving Hollings to RB and Landry to safety...Not to mention his success at the highest level the NFL...

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
But WRECKED..The most important point IS: It takes any new coach a few years to get in his own players that fit HIS system..At Tech this (History proves it) 3 to 4 years to get really rolling...Gailey has shown me he knows what he is doing by moving Hollings to RB and Landry to safety...Not to mention his success at the highest level the NFL...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">HE DID NOT, REPEAT DID NOT MOVE HIM OF HIS OWN COACHING ABILITY!@!!!!!!!!

Hollings went to the coaches when he saw there was no one to fill the void for Joe Burns, I repeat - TONY WENT TO THE COACHES, that's how that worked! Get it straight.

Gailey didn't have some crystal ball about Tony because Tony made THAT DOOR OPEN! Give credit to the player here - he stepped forward to see if he could help.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I am not getting into the usual comparision of coaches and their first years that everybody seems to love to delve into here. I was merely pointing out the similarities between the Ross and Lewis situations. I imagine there is some similarity to Gailey stepping in as well.

However, I will say it is a dangerous argument to state your support for Gailey by comparing him to Bobby Dodd. As pointed out here on the board, Dodd went 4-6 his first year, but then he was ultra successful his next two. Are you saying Gailey will be as well? If not then Gailey is obviously no Bobby Dodd, regardless of our AD's comparisions.

Also, ANY coach does not need his own players to be successful. Most do.

Finally, to constantly compare Gailey to past coaches and their success is not fair to the man. I will judge him on his own merit and record. As I stated before, I still have questions about his ability to lead a college program. His performance this year will in my mind answer some of those questions. However, this doubts do not make me support the program any less and I want Gailey to succeed. I would hope that is a sentiment shared by all posters.

Mstech....Hello.....Are you EVER going to aknowledge ANYTHING good Chan does?????? Like REALLY Chan as Hc didnt have anything to do with Hollings being moved to Running Back..You really dont think Chan Developed him??? COME ON....The man helped develop Emmitt Smith..He knows something about developing players and in particular Running Backs....Mstech you really discredit yourself everytime you speak..That BITTERNESS of yours is really bad for your health.....For your own good get HELP !!!!

I hope fridge has been on the phone to DeBo this week. That would be a clear violation of the rules and we could just add that to maryhadalittleland giving players money and they would bee in more trouble.

Wrecked, I haven't seen a post on Stingtalk comparing Gailey to Dodd. I have seen posts comparing his first year's record with all of the Tech coach's first year, including Dodd.

It was not a comparison of coach's, it was a comparison showing Gailey should have the same chance to have a second year just like the previous coaches. I think you misunderstood the comparison posts.

The comparisons merely stated Gailey's first year record was better than most all of the Tech coach's first year record. Everyone knows that does not prove he is a great coach, but it does prove he did well enough to deserve a second year. This is the point that is being made.

Father Time

Back