GT's greatest team/season

I'll go with that season that included the Miracle on Techwood! What a time to be alive!!!!

I'm stuck between 2009 and 2014 as the best I witnessed. While 2014 was probably the better overall team, 2009 had more energy and more elite talent. Actually, 2014 beat UGA, so I'll go with them.

Honestly, 1956 has to be up there as well. Just a 6 point loss to #3 Tennessee kept us from 11-0

Honestly, 1956 has to be up there as well. Just a 6 point loss to #3 Tennessee kept us from 11-0

That defense must have been amazing. Five shutouts and no team scored more than a TD until the bowl game. That damn UT TD probably cost us a MNC.

1990 was special. No one thought twice about that team except the coaches and players. They played with an attitude because no team gave them an ounce of respect, especially some of the jabronies on UVA's team. Just ask Ken Swilling. It was glorious to watch.

1990 was best combo of O & D we've had plus it won a natty and didn't lose to an atrocious pack of mutts
2009 had good O & D too but losses to the mutts and Iowa puts them here.
2014 had great O but let's be honest - dismal D.
1998 had great O but let's be honest - brutal D.

1. 1990
2. 2009
3. (tie) 2014 & 1998

In my lifetime, it has to be 90. Topped by broiling in the upper reaches of the Citrus Bowl.
Maybe if Nebraska had tackled as well as the cops trying to get folks running onto the field did, they wouldn't have given up 45 points that day.
Maybe.

No. 2?
2014. Hands down. Topped by a lot of high fives and cold beverages in the Orange Bowl. And yes, some tears of joy. What a glorious sight.
"They can't stop it, folks!"

2014 offense was the most efficient in the modern history of college football (as of a few years ago). Scored TDs on something ridiculous like 55% of possessions over the course of the season. If ND hadn’t paid Tuitt’s mom to force him to flip he would have been a senior that year. Maybe he leaves as a junior, but we were a Tuitt away from a national title that year. Zero pass rush and still dominated teams with that offense.

2009. Most complete team. Nearly as good of an offense as ‘14. Shafted by schedule with Miami game (3rd game in 12? days) and cheating ass dwags twisting JFNs ankle. Iowa had 9 NFL draft picks on defense and we had a turrible game plan.

I'm stuck between 2009 and 2014 as the best I witnessed. While 2014 was probably the better overall team, 2009 had more energy and more elite talent. Actually, 2014 beat UGA, so I'll go with them.

Back