GT's offense is 109th nationally

Re: GT\'s offense is 109th nationally

There will be no better opportunity to correct this that the next 2 games. It's past time for the OL to really step up and dominate. They are NOT "young". THWG

I and im sure Dave Braine and the athletic board could care LESS how high our offense ranks...The BOTTOM LINE is WINNING....Coach Gailey's offenses will NEVER be ranked consistently in the top 10 and Statistics DONT matter..WINS DO....I get amused every time i see some here on this board that wring their hands (Im not saying you are but im sure some here do) and say WHOA is us..We arent statistically ranked but so high...Thats BULL!!!!! Lets look at whether were winning are not...AGAIN as Bear Bryant and Steve Spurrier said: Statistics are for LOSERS....Were winning and that is what matters.....

Black Watch, I agree. Stats are gravy at this point. I don't mind if we are ranked 117th nationally in offense as long as we win. Important thing is, we're doing what we have to do to win, and our offense is sustaining drives long enough to keep the defense off the field. I'll take W's over #'s anyday.

Texas A&M Tot Off rank 35 (SoS rank 25)
UNC Tot Off rank 48 (SoS rank 11)
Ohio State Tot Off rank 99 (Sos rank 41)
UCLA Tot Off rank 110 (Sos rank 40)
Ga Tech Tot Off rank 109 (SoS rank 7)

Now the relevant stats.....

Texas A&M 3-5
UNC 1-7
Ohio State 7-1
UCLA 6-2
Ga Tech 5-3

1) We have played 2 of the top 10 and 3 of the top 15 defenses in our first 8 games. I have not seen the new rankings...but coming into Thursday night FSU was #7, Auburn #8, and Maryland #14.

2) Young players on offense in key positions in the learning curve phase (Ball, Daniels).

3) I hesitate to say this because there is so much positive right now...but our OLine is simply not physical enough. They played well against WFU..but against Maryland there were maybe two good holes all night...and Ball was running for his life. Most of the yardage Ball and Daniels were getting was 2nd and 3rd efforts pushing the pile themselves. I am not going to call out any names...but I looked at some replays and it is evident.

I agree that the only thing that really matters is W-L, but we really do need the offense, especially the OL to step up the rest of the year. We have got to start sustaining drives and scoring some points. IMO it's not the play calling or schemes for the most part (okay Gailey bashers, pile on) but execution. I have been pretty disappointed in the OL most of the year. They need to show me something. I'll be happy to eat crow, but to this point that's the most disappointing part of the team to me. I didn't expect much from the punters to tell the truth, not that that excuses how poor we're kicking the ball, but the OL has no excuse.

Unless he is still injured or still not in shape, I would really like to see Robinson in at guard more. THWG

I am happy with where we are at record-wise and that is the most important thing. But if you would have handed me these offensive stats at the beginning of the year and asked me to guess our record there is no way I would have said 5-3.

If you look at scoring offense, there are only three teams ranked 80 or below with a winning record (UCLA - 22.13, GT - 16.25, and Southern Miss - 15.43).

GT is ranked 13th in the nation in scoring defense (16.0 pts/game). There is only one team in the top 35 of scoring defense with a non-winning record (West Virginia). This is why we are winning, but who would have thought at the beginning of the year we would be getting these results out of our depleted defense.

Of all teams with a winning record only Southern Miss has smaller spread between points for and against. Southern Miss has actually been outscored by their opponents. We have outscored our opponents by 2 points total.

We are winning with defense which is absolutely jim dandy fine with me. A win is a win, but we are very fortunate to be here. Our defense is plying unbelievably well and we have been very fortunate to avoid any major injuries. Given our lack of deph however, we are one injury away from an average defense IMO. We need our offense to begin scoring more points in order to continue our success.

GoldZ,

Robinson has had an injured wrist all year long. This is not the first time he has had this particular injury. I noticed that this past game he was wearing a small cast on that hand so hopefully we can get him into the starting lineup soon.

I think Johnson should be starting, but that's just my opinion.

Not to be picky, but isn't Ohio St. rated below us offensively, and yet they have 1 loss?

TIAR,B,

Ohio State ranks 73rd in scoring offense and 99th in total offense.

Originally posted by TIAR,B:
Not to be picky, but isn't Ohio St. rated below us offensively, and yet they have 1 loss?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">T,

Ohio St. is rated #73 in scoring offense....#99 in total offense.

Not to be picky, but Tech is #108 in scoring offense....#109 in total offense...and we only have 3 losses.
rolleyes.gif

We've played a very strong schedule to date. Our average opponent through the first 8 games gives up 339 yards and just over 20 points per game. Both figures would rate just into the top 40 of each category.

We have averaged 300 yards and 16 points, so we are 40 yards and 4 points per game short of average. The shortfall is entirely due to the passing game, not terribly surprising with a true freshman at QB.

Our running game is exactly average, netting 127 yards a game against defenses that average 127 yards a game.

We are in the top 40 nationally in turnover margin and in the top 30 in scoring defense, rushing defense, pass efficiency defense, and total defense. That plus a decent running game will net a solid record every time.

Originally posted by beeware:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by TIAR,B:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">T,

Ohio St. is rated #73 in scoring offense....#99 in total offense.

Not to be picky, but Tech is #108 in scoring offense....#109 in total offense...and we only have 3 losses.
rolleyes.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yeah.. and we also have 5 WINS ..

and frankly Beeware.. I think you are really reaching for your negativity now.. this team and these coaches have done a tremendous job this year.. PERIOD.. can they improve.. absolutely, is everything perfect.. no its not.. but this team is 5-3.. and 6 minutes and two points from being 6-2.. and doing a hell of a lot better than most predicted...

Like it or not.. Chan has coached this team up.. and like it or not, Friedgen and Maryland lost last Thursday... Bob and the Fridge left town as losers.. and like it or not, Mac is still a position coach at Texas.. so much for your bandwagon.. now, Buzzoff..

and we only have 3 losses.
rolleyes.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]
Beeware I'm sure you're disapointed we don't have more... shouldn't you be on the way to Jax to cheer your Mutts???
MM42 thanks for the positive stats... I get so tired of Beeware and his smoke induced negativity that I forget to appreciate the positive posts when they appear...
Go Jackets... Beat the Dookie outta the Blue Devils...

This reason for this season can be summed up in one word-Reggie.
Even with a 109th Off we have made plays to win games.The Def has made MANY more plays but if you are like me ,I still look forward to the Off going on the field because that KID can possibly make something happen EVERY time and the opponents KNOW IT(and our DEF knows it).That's the difference in us and a normal 109th team..

Originally posted by AlaGold:
Even with a 109th Off we have made plays to win games.The Def has made MANY more plays but if you are like me ,I still look forward to the Off going on the field because that KID can possibly make something happen EVERY time and the opponents KNOW IT(and our DEF knows it).That's the difference in us and a normal 109th team..
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just ask beeware - if Mac were coach AJ would be QB. As you all know, this means he would be throwing for 500 yds/gm and we would be 8-0.

Originally posted by AlaGold:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Excellent point AlaGold.. in summary.. I think you are saying that we may be getting a little better leadership from our QB position this year.. and I think that is a huge difference for this team

Tech is #11 in the under appreciated stat of wins per yd/game.

1. UCLA .0201 wins per yd/game
2. N Ill .0198
3. Neb .0198
4. Iowa .0191
5. TCU .0181
6. Ugag .0179
7. Mi St .0178
8. LSU .0175
9. Okl .0174
10. W St .0169
11. GT .0167
12. FSU .0165