GT's offense

ContactBuzz

Probably Drinks Cosmopolitans
GT\'s offense

A comparison that makes more sense than overall NCAA rankings - How GT did compared to other teams vs. common opponents:

Opponent.. GT Yards (rank).. Most vs. Opponent.. GT Points (rank).. Most vs. Opponent
Auburn.. 313 (3 of 8).... Western Kentucky (342).... 23 (1 of 8)..... Georgia Tech (23)
UConn... 307 (3 of 7).... Rutgers (508)................. 28 (1 of 7)..... Georgia Tech (28)
UNC..... 475 (1 of 7).... Georgia Tech (475)........... 27 (3 of 7)..... Louisville (69)
VT...... 217 (5 of 8).... NC State (438)................. 7 (6 of 8)......... West Va (17)
NCSU.... 443 (2 of 7).... Clemson (489)................. 14 (5 of 7)....... UNC (31)
Duke.... 404 (5 of 9).... Miami / Wake (557)........... 35 (6 of 9)..... FSU (55)
Clemson. 308 (7 of 8).... Boston College (385)......... 10 (T-6 of 8)... Miami (36)

I think this shows that we're more of a middle of the pack offense - it's much more of a statement to me than saying we're the 90th overall offense. I could care less that Utah, Boise St, Texas Tech (played noone other than UT), any PAC-10 team, etc. have scored more points than us. There's no doubt that we would score a lot more points if we had played similar schedules.

Re: GT\'s offense

Contact,great idea but I (maybe most of us) can't understand it as presented.thanks.

No, it makes sense: How many yards we put on our opponent and how that compares to their opponents, then how many points we put on them etc.

I'd also be interested in the similar defensive stats. I'm betting that Clemmons had their lowest output in yardage and points against us (they ran with BC and Miami this year and those games were both high scoring, right?)

[ QUOTE ]
Contact,great idea but I (maybe most of us) can't understand it as presented.thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]AlaGold - is the problem that it's not lined up properly or the data's not explained well enough?

I'll explain the first line (Auburn). GT gained 313 yards of offense against Auburn (ranked 3rd of all Auburn opponents). Western Kentucky has had the most yards against Auburn (342, 29 more than GT). GT scored 23 points against AU (1st of 8 opponents - LSU scored 20 in an OT game). And GT is on the last column because our 23 is the most scored on AU this season.

CB, thanks for the explanation. I was getting hung up on # of #. Very interesting stuff. I agree that the D stats in this format would also be revealing. Thanks!

CB,
I appreciate the work you did to compile this data. Another thought to keep in mind related to GT is that we were ranked 2nd in D-1A for hardest schedule this season. That has to account for something in GT's favor. But after all is said and done, a win is a win is a win is a win. AMEN BRO!!!

[ QUOTE ]
we were ranked 2nd in D-1A for hardest schedule this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently Saragin has us at #21 hardest schedule for the teams we've played so far..., so I would expect that to go up are we make the final run of the killer's alley of 3.

Probably won't go up past #10 though....but that's tough enough.

[ QUOTE ]

I think this shows that we're more of a middle of the pack offense ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, but it also shows trend of getting worse instead of better.

[ QUOTE ]

Probably, but it also shows trend of getting worse instead of better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree - but the "tricks" (read: zone blocking) we were pulling with the Oline were working in the first couple of games. Once teams starting getting film on us, they were able to prepare for it and defend against it.

But, yes, the stats indicate our offense has declined since the beginning of the season.

Our offense has scored fewer points than the average surrendered by our opposition in every ACC game this year.

Our offense has been the recipient of 21 turnovers. Only 10 teams have created 21 or more turnovers. Only three of those teams average less than 30 points per game. Only one averages less than 25 points per game and that is us at 20.

I agree your comparison is a little better. Stats compared among ACC teams will show about the same thing. Some things that doesn't show in your offense or defense stats is turnover margin.. I think we are 2nd in ACC and 5th nationally. That is both a offensive and defensive stat.
That's holding on to the ball and knocking it away from the other team. There's more than just getting yards and giving up yards.

Back