Gulf Live says Bilbo's the QB of the future

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Gulf Live says Bilbo\'s the QB of the future

This is a short piece from Gulf Live, a SE Mississippi paper, on Bilbo winning the state championship, his decision to stay @ GT rather than transferring & the opinion that Bilbo WILL BE GT's QB.
Note Bilbo's VERY MATURE quote: "I put the blame on myself. U have to take the fame & the blame. I take the blame for that one."
Why doesn't Suggs, or Gailey for that matter, ever say anything as responsible as this??????

Article on Bilbo

Re: Gulf Live says Bilbo\'s the QB of the future

Thanks GTAce. Good article. Again it is nice to see someone (DeBo) take the blame for their failures insted of blaming others or going into hiding and not saying anything.

Thanks for the link, Ace.

Interesting point in the article. It said Bilbo ran a no-huddle shotgun offense. Is it possible he never took direct snaps in HS? Also wonder how many plays they actually ran? Maybe that's part of the difficulty he is having getting the offense down pat?

I believe and hope that Bilbo is the QB of the future. If we can just fine tune this youg man a little he will be alright.

NC Jacket,

You nail it. He did not take direct snaps in high school. He has to master this before the Tech coaches can exapnd the playbook for him. He can master it. He just needs a lot of repetitions. He did not get them in 2001 due to an injured thumb.

83jacket,this is the first I have heard about an injured thumb. I did not know Bilbo had an injured thumb.

That was his freshman year. He was able to recieve a medical redshirt (He played in the Navy game and scored a TD)and had surgery after the season.

GMC-you're right that he could've also pointed a finger at WR on the late 4th dn play or the coaches, but he didn't. He said "I take the blame for this one". Admirable.

NCJacket- Coach O'Brien has worked with him for 2 yrs @ GT. Is it not being presented right or not getting thru? U'd think, with the talent Bilbo has, that he would be able to pick up anything O'Brien throws at him. Maybe he can continue to improve as he is our best hope for '03,'04,'05.

Originally posted by 83jacket:
NC Jacket,

You nail it. He did not take direct snaps in high school. He has to master this before the Tech coaches can exapnd the playbook for him. He can master it. He just needs a lot of repetitions. He did not get them in 2001 due to an injured thumb.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually both of you guys are wrong. Moss Point's head coach Jerry Alexander switched to the four and five wide sets for D-Bo's senoir year in high school to take advantage of Bilbo's ability. They have now moved back to a more traditional offensive set. Bilbo's junior year he took snaps directly from center. I played agains Moss Point for 3 years (before Bilbo while Kevin Fant was there) and they rarely ran a shot gun formation. Yes Bilbo is probably more comfortable with the shot gun, but he has run a regular offense.

Mississippi, this is my understanding as well. Imagine for a minute a nationally prominent D-1 QB out of HS who can't take a normal snap. Guys this is kind of ridiculous. THWG

Originally posted by GoldZ:
Mississippi, this is my understanding as well. Imagine for a minute a nationally prominent D-1 QB out of HS who can't take a normal snap. Guys this is kind of ridiculous. THWG
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree. Some more rumores that I hope don't turn into fact about one of out SA.
wink.gif

Thank you mississippi, to think that a D-1 QB can't take a snap under center is obsurd!

pat.gif

wtf.gif

Hey I didn't say he couldn't take a snap... I was asking a question. And it wasn't about the mechanics of taking the snap, it was about the fundamentals of dropping back, you know number of steps,etc. and reading the play as you back up from center instead of seeing it unfold from the shotgun.

Back