Half empty or Half full?

General Wood

Varsity Lurker
I don't think stingtalk was in existence, but I just wonder if so much "bitchin and complaining" was going on in the GOL years when Tech had guys flunk out, get hurt, or go pro. I went back and looked at guys who were starters or got "prime time" and thought what kind of team we would have had with Berwin Echols, Guenther Kryszon, Matt Miller, Matt Umremovich, and Dez White who all would have been on the same teams of 2000 & 2001. None of these guys finished their eligibility and could have been seniors with Goose. Well, there is no sense dreamin because I can wish in one hand and ......I think you know the rest.

My point is we are judged by the hand we are dealt and we must make the best of it. Gailey feels he can win 7 possibly 9 games.

Why have we lowered the bar?

I don't see any reason why we won't win at least 7. Our O-Line is loaded and Ball looks to be very quick and a tough competitor. Running back don't look too shabby and, if Bilbo comes along, neither does wideout. If we get good line play out of Wrotto on the D-line our D won't be shabby either. Great LB's and faster secondary than last year. Should be able to put 7 in the win column and perhaps beat UGetanescAlade.

There are several reasons the bar has been lowered.

First, the group who is trying to get Gailey ousted keeps saying that we can only win 2 or 3 games, and that he should be ousted now.

This perception has been bought by the sports writers after all the pessimism from this group. If you will note those, that want to give Gailey a chance, have said we would probably win about six or seven considering all the players that flunked.

The second reason the bar has been lowered is O'leary took a top ten preseason team and ran it into the ground in 2001. A downward spiral turned up immmediately after Ralph left. It was very evident in the Peach Bowl and the following year under Ralph.

The sports writers saw how Maryland had suddenly achieved greatness and how badly Tech had fallen without him in the first year of his absence. This caused the writers to consider that Ralph was the catalyst.

After George came up with only a 7-6 record in his last year, the ACC and the other sports writers pegged us for 5th or 6th place in the conference last year. And, guess what, they pegged it correctly.

Now, we all know Gailey's record in his first year was a respectable 7-6, but we all know he lost a lot of players to injuries, did not have an experienced quarterback returning, and had an offensive coordinator who could not effectively develop any of the returning QBs.

We also realize some of the players on the team were upset and their morale dampened by the loss of O'Leary, Mac, their academic advisor, the loss of Roof, the loss of their team chaplan, and as the season wore on the realization that the offensive coordinator would not return.

So, after the loss of the FSU game, the morale factor kicked in heavily and some of the troops quit in the UGA and Fresno State game.

So, it is no wonder the ACC and the sports writers have lowered the bar at Tech as far as projected losses. However, most of the positive fans on Stingtalk are still looking for 6 to seven wins. Personally, I have pencilled in a 7-5 regular season record if we have no devastating injuries.

It appears the bar is set according to the perspective of the various fans.

Many of the fans were upset with O'Leary's 7-5 record in 2001. Had he returned with no Friegden, no Godsey, and no OC to train new quarterbacks, it is no telling how low the bar might be today.

Father Time

Good post Ahso, to the point with no frills. You stated something and that was that O'Liar lowered the bar for Tech prior to CCG even being considered by Tech.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I have pencilled in a 7-5 regular season record if we have no devastating injuries.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What would be an example of a devestating injury? Name a player please.

Bezerk, how do I know what player will have a devastating injury? What a ridiculous question. And, anyone can understand a devastating injury. Go figure it out.

Keep digging!

Father Time

Good evening General... Wanted to point out that Matt Uremovich had to quit football after his sophomore year due to injuries (neck I believe)... No academic problems involved... One helluva ballplayer who would've been an all-time great had he not gotten hurt... Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that he was a 6'1" 215 pound middle linebacker.. Small for the positon but hit like a ton of bricks & one of the toughest sonuvabitches to ever play on the FLATS...

Ahso - pencil me in as a FOC but if he can get 7-5 with this schedule, a freshman QB and the injuries/depletion he has suffered he would be doing one of the best coaching jobs ever.

7-5 to me is the upper end of the range and not the expectation. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Y Jacket:
Ahso - pencil me in as a FOC but if he can get 7-5 with this schedule, a freshman QB and the injuries/depletion he has suffered he would be doing one of the best coaching jobs ever.

7-5 to me is the upper end of the range and not the expectation. Just my opinion.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Y Jacket.. I already have a chair reserved for you along with a gold robe with your name on it.. alongside your chair is a crystal chalise which contains 4 fingers of Cuervo Gold... Despite your indescretions you will hold a respected positon at the meeting next month to determine a reasonable & fair severance package... We must take care of our own...

BB - while I appreciate your kind hospitality I must decline your invitation to the wake. I come not to bury Gailey but to praise him.

With all the nonsense this year all I want is to see kids play hard, those that don't removed from the field, and improvement in the young players over the course of the year (especially Ball). And I want to see a good to very good recruiting class.

I am one of those old fashioned old farts who remember the patience of Dodd, realize that this program wasn't in pristine shape or else OLeary wouldn't have been 7-5 the year he left, and most of all believe a new coach gets more than 1 year to prove himself before you sick the warewolves on him. It is kind of the delayed gratification speech I give to my kids.

Now having said this, I will still very willingly partake of the Cuervo gold. I will even take the worm if offered. But hold the execution for a couple of years yet.

Oh yea - almost forgot - make my gold robe XXL. Seems I have grown a bit since my days at ma Tech but would love the addition to my wardrobe.

Ahsoisee's claims GOL was running the program into the ground and notes that a pre-season top-1o team only managed the Peach Bowl. True. But, there were similar expectations during Hamilton's senior year. (The only reason the Gator did not take us in 2000 was that we had gone the previous two years). One might also say the same for the 1991 Ross team. Sometimes expectations are not met. One down year does not prove a downward spiral.

Chan should be coach of the year if he gets 7 wins.

A question for you guys that are expecting 7 wins. If he gets 4 or 5, will you be calling for his head? For me, this year will be more about how the team plays. I can take 3 wins provided that the team plays tough and that recruiting goes well.

Nathogt, no, I agree with you. I will make up my mind after the year is completed. I will have to consider the whole year and the progress of the team.

According to the progress of the team during the year, I might wait until after the recruiting season to make my decision.

Father Time

beenad,
General Wood said "flunk out, get hurt, or go pro."

That would include Uremovich's injury that you mention.

Read, THEN respond.

The reason we are ranked so low is our recruiting classes for the past two years have been ranked low. Sorry but last years class, which have several people who will play now, was ranked 8th in the conference just ahead of Duke.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Bezerk, how do I know what player will have a devastating injury? What a ridiculous question. And, anyone can understand a devastating injury. Go figure it out.

Keep digging!

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I am not asking you to predict who will get injured. Obviously no one can do that. I am asking you to give an example of something that you might consider a devastating injury.

Just type this...

If "so and so" gets injured and can't play, we will not make a 7-5 record.

Here is an example...

If "Reggie Ball" gets injured and can't play, we will not make a 7-5 record.

That was just an example, nothing more.

I don't think this is a difficult task for you. If you can't do it, then you are admitting that you are going to use hindsight to retract your 7-5 prediction. That is a fact that even a blind man can see.

Paranoid, this is very interesting. I did not realize the world or Georgia Tech's success hinged on who I might select to get hurt or how badly they were hurt.

I assumed most on the board were intelligent enough to know that any one of our key athletes who gets hurt badly enough to be out for the season would be considered a devastating blow.

However, I will try to spell it out for you. Now read this slowly and then go tell the world what ahsoisee has said.

I would say that any of the following people who are lost for the season would be a devastating blow: Reggie Ball, Hugh Reilly, P.J. Daniels, Brad Brezina, Nat Dorsey, Eric Henderson, Daryl Smith, Wrotto Mansfield, Jonathan Smith, and any two being lost at the same position anywhere on the team.

Now, do you understand a devastating loss means someone injured for the year or most of the year. Am I going slow enough for you. If not, you can reread the post.

Keep digging. Keep an eye out for OSHA.

Father Time

Thanks Agent 517,

I just wanted to make sure I understood what your disclaimers were on your prediciton. I must admit, for a ugag fan you actually understand our team pretty well. Any of those guys would be a devestating loss.

Your superiors have good intel on us.

Back