Hap Hines to Tech?

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Ga. Grad and ex-kicker, Hap Hines has verbally been offered a coaching job at both UGA and Tech. He, and his new wife,now live in Atlanta, and a Tech job would allow them to avoid another move.
BOO

Can he coach? Does he have any experience coaching? Where and what position?

Who in the heck is this guy anyway. Living in Alabama and not following UGAly anyway so I suppose he's somebody we should know.

behead.gif

Hap Hines was the place kicker during the 99 game. Many UGA folks I know didn't have faith that Hap would make the kick so we continued to pound the ball when Jasper fumbled. I remember sitting in the stands that day thinking, "There's no way I send Hap Hines out to kick the ball. He's awful." In 1999, he was a senior, but he was never that consistent. If he comes to Tech, I hope he's a better coach than he was kicker.

According to today's Macon News&Telegraph CG already has a special teams coach. Given the quality of Luke Manget and his backup it wouldn't make much sense to hire HH, unless he has some really hidden talents not previously made known.
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Indian Buzz:
Hap Hines was the place kicker during the 99 game. Many UGA folks I know didn't have faith that Hap would make the kick so we continued to pound the ball when Jasper fumbled. I remember sitting in the stands that day thinking, "There's no way I send Hap Hines out to kick the ball. He's awful." In 1999, he was a senior, but he was never that consistent. If he comes to Tech, I hope he's a better coach than he was kicker.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Indian,

The funny thing about that '99 game is that Hap had kicked 6 extra points and 2 field goals earlier in the game. Also, the week before, he had saved UGA's butt in Oxford, MS with some long kicks of around 50 yards or so. Then, in the Outback Bowl, Hines kicked the field goal in overtime to win the game over Purdue.

Based on all that (particularly his performance in the Tech game itself), it's a no-brainer to kick the field goal. JD kept running Jasper because he wanted to ram the ball down our throats and score a TD as an explanation point...kind of an "in your face" way to end the game. That's the only reason he kept running Jasper. This business of "Hap might have missed the 20 yard FG" is total BS, IMO. That game proved to me what an idiot JD was...and how much better of a coach GOL was.

Of course, we should have blown UGA out, but didn't have the D. I guess a heartbreaker in OT would have to suffice.
cool.gif

Don't know that answer, but it would have to pay enough to support a new wife(if there is enough money to do that).
BOO

Back