Has anybody heard......

Supposedly, the Hill has decreed a minimum of 950 SAT for athletes. Dunno if that's just for football, or all sports. Again, supposedly about half of our current football players wouldn't qualify under that rule. If so, what I wanna know is how many of that number are going to graduate?

I don't vouch for the validity of this, it could just be rumour, but it sounds serious. Well, does anyone that can't make a 950 belong at Tech?

If true, it'll absolutely kill us....

The question is - can anything be done, and who could be contacted to express our concerns ?

besides, frankly the whole SAT thing is obsurd.
Many people make straight A's yet for a number of reasons don't score well on standard tests. There has been vigorous debate on whether SATS should be used at all !

I dont believe it. They didnt spend ALL that $$$ to flush it right down the toilet.

But we will see.

I agree LB if they did raise it to 950 then we will drop virtually all sports. I'm not sure we could filed a round ball of f ball team

puke.gif

This rumor seems to pop up every year. Last year the figure was 1000. A female poster was stating it as if it was fact, claiming to have it from a very reliable source on the Hill. Never panned out. This will not either.

Originally posted by law_bee:
I dont believe it. They didnt spend ALL that $$$ to flush it right down the toilet.

But we will see.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree w/law bee and 1885 on this one. One of the rumors is that this is being talked about as being an NCAA requirement, not just a GT one. I do not see that one happening either; especially w/all of the talk and protest of the SAT being culturally/racially biased. Can you imagine the potential for lawsuits there? That could and would get ugly.

If GT is doing this on its own accord, then we definitely are not as smart as we claim to be; pay a coach close to $1 mil. a season, spend roughly $80 mil. on stadium reinovations and then tell the coach that he won't be able to recruit anyone.
confused.gif
Hopefully, this will all blow over as nonsense...
bash.gif

gnats67, I'm not aware of any absolute SAT number. Believe we've accepted S-As with SATs as low as 800, which is not much.

Remember someone in the GTAA bragging about our recruiting class averaging 1000 a couple of years ago, but some low scores were pulled up by some very high scores for a few, eg a kicker. From the numbers I had, I couldn't see how it could average 1000, but he did say it. Most schools would be very proud of a football team averaging 1000, and that's not really saying much. GT's total incoming freshmen class averages something around 1350-1400, as i recall (haven't looked in quite a while).

Virtually all schools have significantly lower entry requirements for S-As (esp. for the money-making sports) vs. non-athletes. GT doesn't bend as much as some.

Even the Ivy League schools, last bastions of the truly student athlete, make compromises, just to play Ivy Leaque level ball.

In terms of the delta between SAT averages between football players and regular students, Stanford probably has the largest, but they like to take pride in their average SAT for S-As, which is higher than most. Gotta spin the numbers in one's favor, eh?

There's a contingent of professors on the Hill who could give a rats rear about GT sports, and wish we'd detuned sports as we almost did at a couple of low points in the post-Dodd decades. I believe they start these annuals rumors by telling people what they are trying to do. People then report this on these boards as fact. Last year a certain female poster reported 1000 as the soon-to-be-decreed bottom limit. Some reacted in panic. We OFs just laughed.

Dr. Cluff and a number of very influencial people on the Hill view GT sports as the institutions "Front Porch" and don't want non-competitive teams making the front porch look bad from the street. They are realists, and know we can't compete in football with a 1000 limit. So trust me, it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

If anything, the NCAA is going the other way, with proposals on the table to loosen the very limited standards it has.

In a perfect world, the entry requirements would be the same for every school, and then GT would be competitive in sports without compromise, but that world does not exist, so we have to deal with the real world.

GTimer is right on with this. For those of you who missed it go look at Duke's latest article where they say they ARE LOWERING standards to be competitive.

Goldtimer, you might want to dig a little deeper this time. It appears as though the entrance standards have indeed tightened.

Don't forget that the SAT changed back in '95. Scores are much higher now than they used to be. Take a pre-'95 score and add about 100-150(I think...could be wrong) to it to get a modern SAT score.

Case in point - A pre-95 SAT score of 1250 would qualify you for membership into MENSA. MENSA does not accept post-95 scores, though.

The SAT grading is now on the curve. In '72 when I entered (ouch) average SAT was basically 1100, national average was 850 or so. I believe the "recentering" brought the average up to 1000 adding 150 points as noted by Culb. (What is a Culb anyway?) BTW, the average for the incoming class this year is 1330.

here is the conversion chart

LINK

an Old 1000 is now 1100

an old 1300 is now 1360

This is all just rumor folks... we had a discussion on this a few months back... it is still based on a sliding scale with a number of factors involved... I spent 45 minutes on the phone with various people associated with athletic admissions.... nothing has changed...

Culb is my nickname in real life. My last name is Culbreth(no relation to MLB umpire Fieldin Culbreth). In high school and college, my friends and I went by our last names, because our first names were so common and there were multiples of them(4 Mikes, 5 Chris', etc...). But no one could pronounce or spell mine correctly. So everyone just started calling me Culb.

Jacketguy is correct - I looked into this and its nothing more than rumor - probably started by the situation with the NCAA considering a variety of academic issues which would apply to all schools...

or maybe it was a rumor started by our competition:

"Why are you considering Tech Johnny, you know you need to score a 1000 on the SAT to even get admitted....here's a copy of the calculus textbook you're gonna have to finish cover to cover."

Back