Hate it, but UGA's coaching looked worlds better...

Jack_it

Varsity Lurker
Hate it, but UGA\'s coaching looked worlds better...

I've been trying to give CG a chance and really hoped that the BYU game would prove the UGA and Fresno games were a fluke. But that game was poorly coached, not if's and's or but's.

Some playcalling blunders are unfortunate but not a reason to fire the coach. I won't crucify CG for this yet, only if it becomes habitual.

But not opening up the whole package on offense is completely unacceptable. Who's stupid idea was this? Where's the ingenuity? Where's the adjustments. Even if we have a freshman QB, you have to give him a chance to succeed. CG only gave him a chance to not fail, huge difference.

When you play a middle school offensive scheme, then the opponent won't respect you and will go for it on fourth down because they're not concerned about giving you good field position if they don't make it.

In my mind, this is what lost us the game. As bad as the defense looked, they kept BYU from scoring many points. Moreover, if BYU had respected our offense, they would have punted and/or tried for field goals instead of going for it on fourth, which would have provided our defense some well needed rest.

Admittedly, this is a very difficult position for CG--he really had only two choices: 1. play conservative, middle school offense and Ball doesn't make mistakes (which is okay if you win--even though you look sloppy) but unacceptable if you lose (which is what we did) or 2. play wide-open offense and Ball shines and CG is a genius or he falls on his face and CG is a moron for playing a freshman.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I guess CG thought he could win with a simple offensive scheme. But he should have realized that it wasn't working early in the game and made the right adjustments. Maybe he just doesn't have any imagination. Maybe what we saw were his adjustments. Either way, it was not acceptable.

For those of you who actually have access to CG's ear, you need to inform him that he needs some help on the offensive side. We don't have the horses to have a strong running game, so CG needs to open it up with Ball. He needs to add a host of trick plays with Suggs and Bilbo and Carter.

He also needs to get fired up. The guy looks like he's in a freakin coma. No wonder the players fumble balls--they're not afraid of the consequences. CG probably just patted them on the head and said nice try after their fumbles. Whatever nice guy approach he's been using is not working.

Gentlemen, we are not going to score any points against Auburn with the crap we saw against BYU. Perhaps this is emotion talking, but I am definitely starting to get in MsTA's camp.

Re: Hate it, but UGA\'s coaching looked worlds better...

nothing wrong w/ the playcalling vs. BYU. Sure it was conservative and boring but if we don't turn it over in the redzone we win.

We need more players and a new Athletic Director who doesn't let FlunkGate happen in the first place.

We don't have the DL to get the other team off the field. We don't have a RB at all. PJ is a walkon and he played like it. Bless his heart he's trying but if Grant can't crack the 2 deep soon, we're in big big big big big big big trouble with our running game.

And we need another WR to complement Smith.

The only fault I have with Chan's coaching so far is WE MUST PLAY MORE KIDS per game.

We simply don't have the players that our competition has right now. And Hargrove, Hollings and Malone would have been HUGE for us.

i think this bashing of the offensive playcalling is the "feeling" factor.

no facts will be able to prove that the playcalling wasn't good .. just "feelings"

Originally posted by YodaBee:
nothing wrong w/ the playcalling vs. BYU. Sure it was conservative and boring but if we don't turn it over in the redzone we win.

We need more players and a new Athletic Director who doesn't let FlunkGate happen in the first place.

We don't have the DL to get the other team off the field. We don't have a RB at all. PJ is a walkon and he played like it. Bless his heart he's trying but if Grant can't crack the 2 deep soon, we're in big big big big big big big trouble with our running game.

And we need another WR to complement Smith.

The only fault I have with Chan's coaching so far is WE MUST PLAY MORE KIDS per game.

We simply don't have the players that our competition has right now. And Hargrove, Hollings and Malone would have been HUGE for us.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We do need more players, but we don't have them. CG knows this. He needs to make the best with what he has and my beef is that he is not. Limited play calling with Ball is not going to win many games. With our depleted defense, we need to score points to win.

I understand that we've lost some really important players, but that shouldn't be an excuse to pack it up for the year. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Let's see some ingenuity...we have to keep drives going.

Simply question - True or False

Even with the boring play calling do we win if we don't turn it over in the RedZone 3 times?

I say True. We didn't have that much trouble moving the ball on them in the 2nd half. We simply couldn't hold onto it.

The playcalling may also improve over time as CG now knows that Ball isn't afraid to make plays on the road on TV while the band is playing.

I'd like to see him open it up a bit. BUT that isn't why we lost.

False. We had it down in the red zone during the first half and couldn't punch it in. What makes you think we would have in the second half? Even if we got three field goals from those drives we still would have lost. And don't discount the fact that BYU turned it over a few times as well. If we're going to play the what-if game, then we should give those back to BYU too.

We still have yet to score an offensive TD this year. Again, with our defense depleted, we can not win games based on weak middle-school offensive scheme. Our (only) strength this year is our OL and untapped potential at QB. We have to milk that to win.

Jack It-- you're perception of UGA's coaches as being "better" is probably being influenced by the fact that they are highly ranked, won their conference for the first time in 20 years, beat a team whom we always struggle with by thirty points as the visiting team, and are getting what many people consider to be top ranked recruiting classes.Other than these "gut-feel" types of opinions, on what do you base your comment?
wink.gif

At the end of the day,winning is the only panacea to the incessant debates about coaching (although every school/fan base has different "minimum" levels.)I don't look at any of the UGA sites anymore as I once did, but I remember when they were torn over keeping Donnan. I would imagine there is little or no debates over whether or not Riecht is the right man for the job.

Originally posted by B:
Jack It-- you're perception of UGA's coaches as being "better" is probably being influenced by the fact that they are highly ranked, won their conference for the first time in 20 years, beat a team whom we always struggle with by thirty points as the visiting team, and are getting what many people consider to be top ranked recruiting classes.Other than these "gut-feel" types of opinions, on what do you base your comment?
wink.gif

At the end of the day,winning is the only panacea to the incessant debates about coaching (although every school/fan base has different "minimum" levels.)I don't look at any of the UGA sites anymore as I once did, but I remember when they were torn over keeping Donnan. I would imagine there is little or no debates over whether or not Riecht is the right man for the job.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How about the way they kept putting in fresh replacements? The coaching staff had an amazing system of swapping players to maintain defensive pressure.

We need to rotate players more effectively. Yes, there will be some gambles with the drop off in talent, but playing the same guys did not work. In fact, CG should use some strategic time outs to give key guys some rest before major 3rd and 4th downs.

I don't have to remind anyone that those guys looked exhausted at the end of the game.

You gunslinger arm-chair quarterbacks kill me. You think the only good offense/play calling is the wide open, West Coast offense, throw the ball down the field game, go for the home run.

The truth is that its a very valid approach to only do as much as YOU HAVE TO DO to win. If you can run it up the middle every time and get 5-6 yards, thats what you do. The philosophy is to not take risks that turn into advantage for the defense. Coach Dodd won hundreds of ball games doing this very thing, putting his best athletes on defense to pin down the other team and gain field position, and then do just enough offensively to outscore them.

You boys should go back to playing with your Playstations...

Jack_It: Everyone of your post on this thread is absolutely correct. Anyone remember me posting after the scrimmage I saw about when the quarterbacks threw interceptions or let the play clock run out, when wide recievers was dropping passes that there was no reaction from Coach Gailey. When you commented about Coach Gailey being not bringing any heat to his fumblers......well thats what I meant, the fumblers have to be coached to be scared as hell not to drop the football! Watching Georgia play yesterday against a team that a lot of 'experts' thought would beat them because of all the suspensions and injuries showed me and should have shown the rest of us who watched the game how a well coached football team looks.

Jack, I agree with you!! The thing that gets me the most is CG's demeanor. You are right about "freakin coma". He has as much spunk as my mailbox!! However, if he were winning, that would not be a problem. But losing like we have, everything is a problem!

BTW, CG said Ball came to school well prepared as far as playbook is concerned, and that impressed the coaches. If that is correct, why just run simple, limited plays? I guarantee you that Bilbo, Carter, or Suggs could have run those plays.

I'm sorry for negativity, but I do not like CG's approach to COLLEGE ball and was never excited over the hire. He never impressed me anywhere he had been. Can't blame him for taking job....$1M.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
You gunslinger arm-chair quarterbacks kill me. You think the only good offense/play calling is the wide open, West Coast offense, throw the ball down the field game, go for the home run.

The truth is that its a very valid approach to only do as much as YOU HAVE TO DO to win. If you can run it up the middle every time and get 5-6 yards, thats what you do. The philosophy is to not take risks that turn into advantage for the defense. Coach Dodd won hundreds of ball games doing this very thing, putting his best athletes on defense to pin down the other team and gain field position, and then do just enough offensively to outscore them.

You boys should go back to playing with your Playstations...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Your post epitomizes the problem I see with CG right now. Dude, I'm all for ball control and the three yards and a cloud of dust offense if we have the horses to do so. We don't. Recognize it and move on.

No one, lest of all me, is advocating throwing it down the field 30 yards every down. That would be as stupid as the limited offense we're running now. By "wide open" I mean we need to bring anything and everything we can to the table. We have to keep the other defenses guessing. Selecting from run it up the middle, QB draw up the middle, or throw it deep is not going to cut it.

You may hate arm-chair QBs or coaches, but I hate people who's too far up someone's or some program's arse to see reality.

Maybe it's going to take you another half dozen games to see that a simple offense is not going to work this year, but I sure hope Chan is smarter than you.

Originally posted by B:
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think that may have something to do with it.

Back