Hat's Off To Tenuta/Defense

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Hat\'s Off To Tenuta/Defense

Overlooked in all the zeal to place blame on some close losses is the vast improvement of our defense which is responsible for wins over NCS and VA and almost beating FSU.

One needs only to remember the last 10 years of defensive frustration to really appreciate watching this defense! O'Leary, I'm not sure other than being associated with Ross's championship team, got a reputation as a def. genius and I never saw it. Then, he tutored Roof into mediocrity - does anyone remember Clemson last year - hey, they're going to run the QB draw!
Most of all, it is so pleasing to see our guys tackle and actually move the carrier back toward his on goal vs. that crap we've had to endure.

Fundamentally, this defense is sound and runs to the ball. Yeah, we gave up one big play. But I can live with that. I posted the request to get our DB's up and make em beat us deep. They did on one play. I'll still take it.

This guy - Tenuta, has taken a defense without Gathers and molded it into something I can be proud of. I'm proud of the way these Yellow Jackets have improved week over week and the effort they are putting out.

I'll be there this week to hopefully give Mr. Roof - who abandoned Tech for Duke so he can call himself a coordinator - a lesson. To Hell With Duke and Georgia at the same time and Give Em Hell Yellow Jackets!

Re: Hat\'s Off To Tenuta/Defense

"One needs only to remember the last 10 years of defensive frustration to really appreciate watching this defense! O'Leary, I'm not sure other than being associated with Ross's championship team, got a reputation as a def. genius and I never saw it."

You may not remeber but that was GOL's defence you talking about from 10 years ago. As head coach i think GOL left defence up to the coodinators...We did go through 3 when he was head coach, not just Roof.Why are people so quick to bash old Techsters..he was here over 7 years and was apart of 5 straight bowls and not to mention a national championship

As far as Tenuta, he has done a great job..a great job..Im interested to see what he does a couple of years from now once he starts to bring in his own players. One thing that stands out to me is that he relies a large part on the blitz. A huge difference from last year to this year is that there must be 20 or 25 more blitz calls a game. The gamble has paid off ..the exception being the Wake game and the 2nd 1/2 of the Maryland game. Everyone knew that Wake was going to try and control the clock and run with their 2 headed monster running backs, but we looked as bewildered as any of Wake's previous opponents

Hollis gave the defense a B-. Said FSU "had too many athletes to be kept in check the entire a game". How ridiculous. If not for a bogus interference call they get nothing in the 2nd half.

Hollis lost a lot of credibility there. If that wasn't an "A" performance i'm not sure what is.

I agree, defense definitely deserved an "A." I thought they more or less controlled the line against a bigger FSU team, and that comes down to being in the right spots. Another sign that this group is well coached. Tenuta has completely turned this defense around and props to him. As for him staying for the long haul, I'm not so sure about that. He seems to have big-time head coaching ambitions, and it's probably not long before a program gives him a shot.

Back